• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Max Cricket VS 20/20

Max Or 20/20

• Total voters

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Cricket Max is a form of cricket invented in New Zealand by former New Zealand cricketer and captain Martin Crowe which was played by New Zealand first-class cricket teams in an annual competition. It was essentially a very short form of one-day cricket, with each team permitted two innings, but a maximum of only 10 overs for each innings.

Other major changes from the Laws of Cricket include:

Each side bats two innings of a maximum of 10 overs each.
Batsmen may not be out from a no ball as usual, and also the next ball bowled after a no ball. This is intended to encourage aggressive batting on the "free hit" ball.
Wides score 2 extras instead of 1.
Bowlers may not bowl more than 4 overs per match. These may be distributed between the two innings in any way.
The field is marked with trapezoidal "Max" zones, one at each end of the field, beginning 60 metres from the striker's wicket, where the trapezoid is 40 metres wide, and extending to the boundary, where the trapezoid is 50 metres wide. Any ball hit into the Max zone doubles the number of runs scored from that ball, whether by running between the wickets, or a boundary four or six. Fielders may not be in the Max zone as the ball is bowled. Only the Max zone in front of the striker is valid for all these rules.
The first version of Cricket Max also included the use of 4 stumps, instead of 3, at each end of the cricket pitch. This was designed to help bowlers dismiss batsmen, as a batsman could not be dismissed leg before wicket.

Im sure most people dont know what max cricket was.. but plainly after reading the rules 20/20 ripped it off... max started at domestic level in 1996 .. one of the keys in the game was batsmen were rewarded for playing in the V ..

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The flaw with Max was that players essential had a license to slog, given 60 balls in an innings and 10 wickets to lose...it hardly mattered if you were 4 or 5 wickets down after 4 overs because you're almost half way through the innings anyway.

The 'Max Zones' IMO were a very good concept, encouraging hitting straight and that would be the one advantage Max has over Twenty20. Personally for an overall concept of cricket, I'd vote T20 with the tendency for slogging in Max even with the batsmen looking for the straight boundaries to double their score for that delivery.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
^^^not quite... refer to batting rule 1.

General:

1. 2 innings of 10 8-ball overs per team. That is, 4 quarters of 10 overs each.

2. 13 players per team consisting of: 3 batsmen, 2 allrounders, 3 bowlers, 1 wicketkeeper, 4 fielders.

3. 4 stumps and 3 bails.

4. No lbw rule.

5. If a no-ball is bowled, next ball is a free hit (can`t be dismissed unless run out).

6. Wides are 2 runs credited to the batsman on strike.

7. 11 players are in the field at any one time with option of 2 on free interchange.

8. Quarter and three-quarter time, 5 minute interval. Half-time, 10 minute interval.

Batting:

1. Only 5 batsmen (the 3 batsmen and 2 all-rounders) to bat with 2 innings each available.

2. When out, batsman rejoins the batting order.

3. Must lose 10 wickets to be all out (over the 2 innings).

4. Last man in bats alone, with the previous man out acting as runner.

5. Each batsman, in his 1st innings, must score 20 off his first 25 balls or he is deemed "struck out" and dismissed.

6. If ball is hit into or over the Max zone on the full, the batsman scores 12.

7. If caught inside the Max zone, the batsman is not out and scores 6.

8. If a batsman hits 3 boundaries in a row, the 3rd boundary is doubled (8 or 12).

9. Another player can be designated as a pinch hitter in the last 10 oversat any time. If dismissed, a team wicket is used up.

Bowling:

1. 5 bowlers (the 3 bowlers and 2 allrounders) must be used.

2. There must be at least one slow bowler.

3. 5 overs per bowler are available allowing a maximum spell of 3 overs at any time.

4. A bowler can be changed after 4 balls of any over during the crucial last 10 overs at any time. [Nothing mentioned about how this affects the 5-over rule per bowler]. It seems that the designated fielders may bowl in these circumstances.

5. Run ups start inside the inner grid.

Fielding:

1. In the first 10 overs, 2 fielders allowed outside the grid.

2. In the last 10 overs, 4 fielders allowed outside the grid.

3. If any fielder hits the stumps the ball is either dead or the batsman is out.

4. No fielder may be inside the Max zones at the point of delivery.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Twenty20. It's like an ODI, except without the boring bits. Cricket Max is just a whole different heap of stuff.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Cricket Max was too convoluted. The strength of Twenty20 is that it's just a 20-overs-a-side game of cricket - no gimmicky rules.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I agree .. evolution is a slow process and barely noticeable at the moment.. a slowcurve of change

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricket Max was too convoluted. The strength of Twenty20 is that it's just a 20-overs-a-side game of cricket - no gimmicky rules.
Haha, for mine the weakness of Twenty20 is that it tries to be cricket and fails dismally. Twenty20 bears no resemblence, other than the existance of bats, balls and stumps, to the First-Class game.

At least this Max stuff is completely and totally unapologetic about being gimmicky. It's saying "here's something we don't much like ourselves but you lot might enjoy it" without pretending not to.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Spot on, tho Max did bring 1 rule in to simplify the game. Getting rid of LBWs.

In T20 Id have no issue if they did the same. Its a game for fast scoring and I wouldnt complain if the bowlers had bowled and caught as their 2 methods of dismisal.

I played in a game without LBWs and loved it. Gave so much more freedom as you were not worried about the idiot holding the bowlers sweater.

Just an idea. In not saying others should agree with it as Im not sure I do.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Ah is that right? My memory on the rules of Max have deserted me. :p
its all good.. i wasnt trying to be a mr know it all.. i checked out the rules on wiki.. i thought the same as you.. and thought thats lame 10 wkts per inn .. 10 overs per inn.. but was releaved to fine it was 5 wickets per inn.. which is a lot better...

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
its all good.. i wasnt trying to be a mr know it all.. i checked out the rules on wiki.. i thought the same as you.. and thought thats lame 10 wkts per inn .. 10 overs per inn.. but was releaved to fine it was 5 wickets per inn.. which is a lot better...
Pretty sure it was 10.
Maybe it was 5 at first, before all the other changes (4 stumps to 3 etc)

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I went to the first exhibition match.. like the tester.. i dont really remember anything about the game.. except dean jones and david hookes were playing.. maybe even merv hughes i cant be cartain, and it included a couple of fc nz and x black caps... it was played at cornwell park..

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Possibly why I thought each side was allowed to use 10 wickets per innings, rather than over the course of both innings was that I can recall reading about England playing New Zealand over three Max Internationals in late 1997. The rule was obviously changed some time after this series of matches as New Zealand lost 11, 12 and 10 wickets over the three matches and England 9, 14 and 14.