• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which was the best decade of the twentieth century?

what was the best decade in the twentieth century?

• 1900-1910

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 1910s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1920s

• 1930s

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • 1940s

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 1950s

• 1960s

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 1970s

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • 1980s

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • 1990s

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

DCC_legend

International Regular
70s, 80s and 90s for mine. Wasn't alive to see the West Indian teams of those Decades, but from videos and re-runs on TV/Youtube etc It's just made me watch in awe of some of the greatest cricketers ever to live.

bagapath

International Captain
Well done CDM - a lot of work in there.

Will be interesting to see if people plum for the decades which they have seen, particularly the decade they may have grown up with.

Very thought-provoking. Good stuff PF too.
yeah i agree. lots of work gone into that post. i appreciate that.

i was going to choose between 70s and 80s and burgey's comment has got me thinking. let me consider all these eras and decide which one i would have enjoyed most.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly do, and I'd be surprised if that many didn't. I was pretty fortunate to get hooked on the game at that time and, as already suggested, perhaps I didn't know how lucky I was. The last 6 years has been pretty average compared to it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The 60s. A maturing Elvis Presley taught us all to rock, while four lads from Liverpool began performing together, not realising they'd irrevocably re-shape popular culture. The birth control pill gave women a freedom they'd never enjoyed before, while the writings of Simone de Bovoir and other feminists gave them a new conceptual framework. Meanwhile, Neil Armstrong kicked the moon while the world united to watch that one small step. Great leaders emerged, and some were snatched away too young.

Just kidding.

I voted 1990s, although I really probably opt for say 1985 to 1995. Greats like Richards, Border and Marshall still going. Several talented teams, the emergence of guys like Tendulkar... Wasim and Waqar. Curtly and Courtenay. A chubby blond kid from Melbourne... Great days

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
CDM, fair effort mate. Much respect. Really coming on as a poster after your silly period around Easter. Top mate, really top :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I voted 1990s, although I really probably opt for say 1985 to 1995. Greats like Richards, Border and Marshall still going. Several talented teams, the emergence of guys like Tendulkar... Wasim and Waqar. Curtly and Courtenay. A chubby blond kid from Melbourne... Great days
TBH, 1986-1989 might have been especially poor for England, but it was hardly tip-top for the likes of Australia or Sri Lanka either. And of course there was no South Africa. 1996-2001 was IMO a far superior period.

stumpski

International Captain
seems a lot of people think the nighties.

For the pyjama cricket, perhaps? :p

I'd be surprised if anyone goes for the '60s. All downhill after the tied Test. I went for the 70s, for largely nostalgic reasons I must admit, even though I was only interested for the second half.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There wasn't really that much to be interested in in the first half, was there? :p

Before the Lillee-Thomson series, The Ashes 1972 and India's victory the previous year was about all of interest, especially for an English viewer.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There wasn't really that much to be interested in in the first half (of the 1970's), was there? :p

Before the Lillee-Thomson series, The Ashes 1972 and India's victory the previous year was about all of interest, especially for an English viewer.
Broadly agree, but there was that fascinating India vs WI series in 1974/75. It was Lloyd's first series in charge, and marked the debuts of Greenidge, Richards & Holding and the first full series of Roberts. All this against India's spin-kings in their own backyard. IIRC WI won 3-2. I wonder if SJS remembers it.

Thereafter, as you say, things really looked up with the arrival of L&T, the great WI attack, Imran & others. Ultimately Packer, for all the good he may well have brought the game in the long term, ruined what was set to be an outstandingly good period for test cricket.

stumpski

International Captain
That 1972 Ashes looks to have been a fascinating series. Two evenly matched sides, the emergence of Lillee and Greig, nearly every total in the 250-300 bracket, a 2-2 draw.

I was nine years old and could have watched quite a bit of it on TV had I wanted to, but I had other things to do. :( What bugs me is that the BBC must have 100s of hours of archive footage from that period they could make available on DVD, but they don't seem keen to do so.

cover drive man

International Captain
I was nine years old and could have watched quite a bit of it on TV had I wanted to, but I had other things to do. :( What bugs me is that the BBC must have 100s of hours of archive footage from that period they could make available on DVD, but they don't seem keen to do so.
A lot of people wouldnt be intrested probably.

stumpski

International Captain
I realise that - but there is a market for vintage cricket on DVD I think, and it seems it's not really catered for. Even the early World Cups don't seem to be available.