• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Top : Episode I

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Road to the Top
A Player's Perspective

Name: Gary Eldershaw
Year: 2011
First signing: Yorkshire
Contract: 1 year
Batting type: RHB
Bowling type: RM

Entering the 2011 season of County Cricket I prepare to fulfil what may be my last year in the Yorkshire system. I've spent the last year injured and unable to even attempt at an FC or list-A debut. I don't see my prospects of a Yorkshire first XI debut looking much brighter this season either, given the off-season signings of Vic Nixon and Jacob Oram, as well as the re-signing of Chad Keegan to complement Paul Hutchinson and Phil Moore.

Indeed, the injury set me back a season and I must now do the work that I probably would have done last season in order that I make my way into the higher ranks by 2012 for the latest. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be fun and I look forward to it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

25th April

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 412/8 dec. beat Surrey 134 and 264 by an innings and 14 runs

Outstanding performers:
Phil Jenkins 152
Derek Kenway 140
Phil Moore 4/51 and 3/36
Phil Hutchinson 3/33
Jacob Oram 3/49

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 2 and 3; 1/19 and 3/21

I felt pretty good in my first game of the season. The coach felt it best that I eased back into cricket and thus gave me a rather minimal workload. Still, I managed to get some useful work in and got the ball to reverse a bit in the second innings. Hopefully in a game or two I'll be right back at full match fitness.

Mr Mxyzptlk

29th April

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 276/8 (45) beat Surrey 201 (32.5) by 75 runs

Outstanding performers:
Noel Mullin 97 [111]
Jacob Oram 75 [62]
Michael Davies 4/23 [4]
Michael Vaughan 3/63 [7.5]

Note: Rikki Clarke scored 102 off 90 balls for Surrey.

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 9; 4/36

Things shaped up really well today. I was brought on with the Surrey 2nd XI's at 50/0 from 11 overs. Immediately I found success, albeit with a loosener which was cut by Robert White (26) straight to backward point. From there I knew it would be my day and I managed to effectively use the outswinger due heavy overcast conditions to nip out 3 more and finish with lovely figures of 10-3-36-4.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
great story..i always love this 1st person story's pitty buggsy stopped doing it..he has a fine writing very enjoyable to read:)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Samuel_Vimes said:
*thumbs up*

Michael Vaughan 3/63...*shoves code that favours insane spinners where it belongs*
Whats wrong with Vaughan taking wickets!!

Craig Wishart had some insane code though.. 9-38 against Sri Lanka on a shirtfront....

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
yea sometimes for yorkshire vaughan has been quite the handy offspinner

Mr Mxyzptlk

1st May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 279/5 (48.5) beat Sussex 275/3 (50) by 5 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Jacob Oram 126 [98]
Aaron Nixon 50 [73]
Michael Vaughan 35 not out [21]
Michael Davies 2/46 [10]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 31; 1/42

Not the most earth-shattering of days, but solid nonetheless. I came in to bat with the team struggling a bit at 183/8 with 8 overs left. Pleasingly I had luck with me with the bat and executed a couple of agricultural masterpieces over midwicket for sixes and ended with a decent enough 31 from 25 balls, the score settling at 246/9. Unfortunately it wasn't enough though as my 9 overs cost 42 runs and I only prized the wicket of Umer Rashid (5) and the Sussex boys romped home.

Mr Mxyzptlk

3rd May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:
Yorkshire 174/1 (39.2) beat Gloucestershire 173 (43) by 9 wickets

Outstanding performers:
Jacob Oram 95 not out [111] - what a great signing!
Noel Mullin 41 [59]
Phil Moore 3/25 [9]
Vic Nixon 3/28 [7]
Phil Hutchinson 2/38 [7]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 16 not out; 1/19

Continued progress with the bat. This time it was a more subdued knock of 16 from 15 balls. No boundaries this time but a couple of twos and then singles did the trick. The bowling was once more less than spectacular, but with 5-1-19-1 and I can't really complain. The best news is that team won by a comfortable 57 runs. My team-mate Chad Keegan (dropped for the last game by Yorkshirs 1sts) took a creditable 4/44 from his 9.1 overs and young Frank Jansen (legspinner) took 4/50 from 10.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
kwek said:
great story..i always love this 1st person story's pitty buggsy stopped doing it..he has a fine writing very enjoyable to read:)
i am starting that up again mate very soon, and keep it going liam, very nice

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
1st May

Yorkshire XI Scoreboard:

Outstanding performers:
Jacob Oram 126 [98]
Aaron Nixon 50 [73]
Michael Vaughan 35 not out [21]
Michael Davies 2/46 [10]

Eldershaw's 2nd XI stats: 31; 1/42

Not the most earth-shattering of days, but solid nonetheless. I came in to bat with the team struggling a bit at 183/8 with 8 overs left. Pleasingly I had luck with me with the bat and executed a couple of agricultural masterpieces over midwicket for sixes and ended with a decent enough 31 from 25 balls, the score settling at 246/9. Unfortunately it wasn't enough though as my 9 overs cost 42 runs and I only prized the wicket of Umer Rashid (5) and the Sussex boys romped home.
Just wondering you said that the Sussex boys romped home well up the top it says Yorkshire Beat Sussex.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
SirBloody Idiot said:
Stoipid question, but are you making up the second eleven scores he made and the balls faced? And the people he took?
I doubt it... they give scorecards and stats for 2nd XI games too.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Click on the blokes playing for the second team and then on form. There's the stats from the recent 12 games (2nd XI, ODI, first-class...you name it). Also from the last four games on recent scores.