• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who does your team really need?

Rich Hudson

Cricket Spectator
Well I use the old Indian trick of having the medium pacers take the shine off the ball for the first ten overs and then my spin trio comes on.

My RMF opener (who is averaging around 80) is quite economical in one-dayers and can bat.

I suppose I was spoilt when I had Kevin Dean and Ricaldo Anderson opening the bowling before my best spinner, Samaraweera and Swann came on.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
My Duhram team needs batsmen.

I have a brilliant attack, bowling teams out for 150ish usually.

The problem is, I then get skittled for 100. I still win most games, and occasionally the championship, but I'd walk it if I had batsmen.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
My Warwickshire team needs a strike bowler. All my bowlers this season average above 30...I still managed to win the Championship, but drew 8 matches including letting Mike Lathwell score 231* for Somerset... :(

Tom Halsey

International Coach
My Essex team (new game staerted today, just finished 2nd season) needs batsmen.

I'm skittling teams, but getting skittled myself. I only just got promoted from 2nd Division a minute ago on the final day.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
My New Zealand team could use a quality seamer and a quality spinner.
I've got together a pretty good seam attack now. A young fast bowler named Heath Luthor who I debuted when he was 19 has developed into a very good bowler with a Test avge of 25 and ODI avge of 22 at the age of 26. He has about 260odd Test wickets.

With him are a couple of 28 year-old medium pacers. In their first series playing together, they were sensational, but then one of them (Dean Read) got injured and was replaced by another 28 year-old seamer (his name escapes me) who turned out to be a very solid player on his recall after his earlier career had gone poorly (he debuted at 20). Now I'm back to my Luthor/Marsh/Read combo and playing well, although Read is still trying to get back to his pre-injury form and stay fit.

Hoggy31

International Captain
i need a good keeper-batsmen like Gilchrist, Ive got Tony Frost, he's ok but too inconsistent and never goes on with his starts. He'll make like 10, 15, 5, 65, 4, 50, 14, 40, 1, 30, and so on

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it best not to use a speciallist keeper as it is very rare to find good ones coming through in the later years.

I was really struggling with bowlers at one stage, and had a surplus of good batsman. But now I have a quality spinner and seamer who both average twenty three in tests, are around 30 y/o and have 600-700 wickets to their name.

_Ed_

My England team will soon need a keeper too, Foster is approaching retirement and there aren't any decent young ones around to replace him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Hoggy31 said:
i need a good keeper-batsmen like Gilchrist, Ive got Tony Frost, he's ok but too inconsistent and never goes on with his starts. He'll make like 10, 15, 5, 65, 4, 50, 14, 40, 1, 30, and so on
Kenway is one of best 'keeper/batsmen in County Cricket. I've also found Simon Guy to be a very consistent bat for my England team.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Amazingly, I'm in 2031 with England and I have no decent spinners, and few decent quicks. I'm still no1, but I really need a decent spinner.

Also, I only get one youth player through a season now from my youth side (through resignings, rather than other sides youth players through the draft). I can't remember if this is common place or not. I used to get 3 or 4 through before the draft. It's a bugger.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hoggy31 said:
Warwickshire? You should be batting down to 9 already mate (unless you've dropped Giles or Brown...) I find it's bowling that troubles me with them, not batting...

Hoggy31

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Warwickshire? You should be batting down to 9 already mate (unless you've dropped Giles or Brown...) I find it's bowling that troubles me with them, not batting...
Yeh, but im in 2007 and Brown's retired and Giles' is playing for England all the time. Bowling is also a problem, ive only got two bowlers who can take a stack of wickets Simon Jones and Ashley Giles.

Hoggy31

International Captain
I shouldn't have spoke so soon, Tony Frost has come out and knocked up 116 off 153 balls in the first innings against Glamorgan.

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's hard with england

I've tried anyone who's making a name for themselves in the real world.
Caddick and Gough average around forty, Harminson and Jones around the same.
I 've tried Devon Malcolm, again average around fifty.

Hamilton and Flintoff around Forty.

Giles late thirties average.

It's best to try Cork, Swann takes wickets, J Brown and sometimes Hutchinson.