• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Call Up!

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have a player who has never played a first class game or OD game who I brought up from my youth team with Bedfordshire this year.

He was called up for the England Test Match against New Zealand.

His stats are shown - take a look - there are not that impressive

Why did he get called up?
Do you think he is going to be a suberb bowler?

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Attachments

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes, this happens all the time for me. In the first few seasons with Lancashire, I had a bowling attack of smetherhurst, ormond, kabir ali, and hoggard, but the selectors kept picking chris tremlett :unsure:
The AI is not very advanced in ICC, the algorithms to select players is very simple. So, no, I won't get my hopes up too much about the potential of this player, although the computer does usually pick reasonably promising youth players.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Happened to me twice! Both thurned out to be great batsmen, although one wasn' that good in test matches. I don't have his pic but he had over 18000 FC runs. Here's the other guy:

Attachments

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
DaveyHall777 said:
I have a player who has never played a first class game or OD game who I brought up from my youth team with Bedfordshire this year.

He was called up for the England Test Match against New Zealand.

His stats are shown - take a look - there are not that impressive

Why did he get called up?
Do you think he is going to be a suberb bowler?

Anyone else had a similar experience?
With Yorkshire I cut an uncapped youth player at the end of my second season and he signed with Lancashire (not sure). He was then called up to Test cricket and persisted with for a year despite averaging 40+ in Tests. Now he averages <25 in Tests and around 20 in ODIs. He always gets belted whenever he meets Yorkshire though.

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
I tried him out with not a lot of success in the first season. He wasn't called up again.

The following season he played a few matches and was doing alright until he got 8 - 86 in a county match, followed by 4 - 35 in the second. His average was about 26. He was then called up again for every match until...

... my computer broke last week and I have now lost the files so we'll never know! :@

So I also lost my Bedfordshire game which was disappointing as I was going for the county championship having been promoted last season.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
That is one huge shame. Sorry to hear that. :)

I've sid this before, but Hampshire had this crap guy called Paul Aram (averaged 20 with the bat in FC after 3 seasons) but when he got called up for England, he belted 3 double century's in his first international summer. Now I'm England captain too, I've kept him in, despite him still failing in the CC. He is rated top Test batsman in the world, and 9th in ODI's. He averages 64 after 23 games in Test cricket.