• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I Just Bought Cricket 2002 for the PC!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unfortunately I'm at work so I have to WAIT!!!!!!

A-G-O-N-Y........................I'll let you know what I think of it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
First impressions are good, but I'm not very good at it :(!

There's some silly lines appearing on mine around the fielding circle - does anyone else get that problem?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay here's my pull-no-punches, honest review of the game (avert your eyes, those who don't want to see) :D:

A bog standard conversion from the PS2 to the PC. There is NOTHING different other than the graphical options inherent in PC games. The gameplay is exactly the same, the look and feel is exactly the same and even the commentary mistakes and errors are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Graphics: Look good for the most part but someone needs to get the guy who did the coding for the filters and beat him senseless. When on certain settings (usually trilinear; and another thing, where's the anisotropic filtering??!?!?!?), keepers are missing a leg as are the bowlers and the umpire misses a face AND hands!! Still, whilst not graphically up to par with the latest games, for a cricket game, they're pretty good.

Sound: Same as the PS2. Crowd sounds are cool when they work in appropriate places and the commentary is infuriating. Things like announcing that a batsman has "just got his hundred" two ball after he just did, really grate. And that's just one example. The synch guy who codes for the different events which happen also needs to be made to feel pain.

Gameplay: Still the best cricket engine ever done. In all cricket games I've ever played, there are usually one or two shots which ALWAYS get you runs and a few which, despite their novelty, you should NEVER play. This game is different. Most shots are equally useful. There are a few which are more useful if you need quick runs (slog over mid-on, straight drive and the awesome lofted cover drive) but most are there. The bowling is tough if you don't bowl well but being able to actually MOVE the ball around (unlike in Shane Warne's Cricket) is a plus. Varying pace is another which makes it more interesting. So overall it's a VERY good game.

Overall: If you have the PS2 version, unless you want to make it look prettier (and you'll need at least a GeForce4 MX to make it look better than the PS2 version; yeah RIGHT it'll run on a PII-300, EA Sports!!!!), it's exactly the same game. If you've have the PS2 version, don't waste your money. If not, it's a very cool game. So in short, okay EA the game is good but just doing a straight conversion was a cop-out, especially since we had to wait for it AND were initially told it WASN'T to be released for the PC so of course we all went out and bought the PS2 version (I bought a PS2 BECAUSE of the game!). Poor show...........

Personally, I'm used to being bent over by EA Sports these days in the cricket department. After the Cricket '99 and 2000 poor excuses for games, hopefully the lack of sales of this game will shock them into being less contemptuous of us. First they tell us it was to be a PS2-only game, then they tell us there's a PC version to be released after a lot of us went and bought the damn thing and NOW the PC version is a straight conversion!!! It smacks of money-grabbing and it's sickening. Better game-play, decent commentary and an even slightly different game may have put doubt into my mind that EA were only interested in profiteering in the cricket market and little else. As it is, my opinion of them hasn't changed; EA STINKS.

The ONLY redeeming feature of this game is that it was relatively cheap at $55AUS. If I had paid $90 for this (like I did the PS2 version), EA would get a VERY nasty reprise to their arrogance from me personally.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With the commentary, I think the bug is that it's set for Richie to announce when he goes past a milestone. If he just gets to 50, Richie announces it when he goes past 50.

The batsman still raises his bat at the right time.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
that is said , u knw for every cricket game there are are like 20 developers usually and for games like NHL2002 and Final Fantasy ther are like 80 or even 100's thats unfair ! give the public a cricket game that can be enjoyed thoroughly , we want better graphics , better commentary !! They still havent fulfilled a lot in cricket 2002 from what i see and hear and read

Im with you Top_cat , any plans to u knw what :P