• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Game Programmer Needed

Hunter157

Cricket Spectator
Hi there

Would any programmers be interested in making a test cricket simulator? What I am looking for is a non-graphical, text only game, which offers ball by ball commentary, with players 'carded' as per their real life stats. I have an idea of how the engine would work, and a ton of ideas, but no programming knowledge whatsoever!

Any interest?

Jamie

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hello Jamie, first things first. I'm not a programmer. Yet my idea would be to get a text based game and turn into a cricket business type game. Like pretend you are a rich businessman and you have to put your own PIRATE cricket comp together. You have a budget, you have to poach players and your cricket tournament has to turn a profit.

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
Interesting!

That idea is genius! Could you make your own comp with your own rules like 15 over 7 a side?
Very interesting idea! I have been asking around since i posted. I've been told it would take 2 indie programmers around 2 years to make this style of game and even if you raised say $5,000. Most Indie programmers want to make their own games!

airheadnerd

Cricket Spectator
I really don't mean to burst your bubble on this, but as someone who's been developing games for a very long time $5,000 isn't going to get you anywhere. Even for a game which doesn't have a whole lot of graphics like a text only simulator, you could still spend $5,000 on the graphics alone. And yes, that's true for an indie game (I've been asked before). Put it in perspective. $5,000 lasts probably 2 months. You expect you'll need 2 years.

The *only* exception to that is if *you yourself* are capable of doing the development and the art. Programming on its own is nothing. You need engineering, project planning, technical design, quality assurance planning, release structures. Without those things you have no chance of maintaining an indie project in the long term. I can afford to look at Backyard Cricket because I have experience as a studio lead so I know every step of the process.

All that being said: always stick to your dream of producing that great game. The cricket world needs people to come up with good new stuff. But you need to be realistic.

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hello.
First of all

Thank you for bursting my bubble. I wanted it burst and thank you for sharing your knowledge and letting me know what i'm in for. Very kind of you! 8-)

airheadnerd

Cricket Spectator
It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question really.

Very, very few games run anywhere close to their planned schedule; the reason being that if you keep your standards high and are creating something new you have to change direction rather than release a so-so product.

Even so, if you were to spend $2,000 per month on development and $2,000 per month on art and other peripherals that would come to $96,000.

For a bit of reference really good friends of mine had this game funded on Kickstarter for around $300,000 (note that KS didn't fund 100% of their game, there are a lot of other contributors too).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leagueofgeeks/armello-bringing-tabletop-adventures-to-life

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question really.

Very, very few games run anywhere close to their planned schedule; the reason being that if you keep your standards high and are creating something new you have to change direction rather than release a so-so product.

Even so, if you were to spend $2,000 per month on development and $2,000 per month on art and other peripherals that would come to $96,000.

For a bit of reference really good friends of mine had this game funded on Kickstarter for around $300,000 (note that KS didn't fund 100% of their game, there are a lot of other contributors too).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leagueofgeeks/armello-bringing-tabletop-adventures-to-life

Thank you for the information! Huge help and I think this is one of the best threads I've ever been part of.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Hi there

Would any programmers be interested in making a test cricket simulator? What I am looking for is a non-graphical, text only game, which offers ball by ball commentary, with players 'carded' as per their real life stats. I have an idea of how the engine would work, and a ton of ideas, but no programming knowledge whatsoever!

Any interest?

Jamie
More details and time is required. I can help if you give me both.