that's very nice.
that's very nice.
I'm keen to give this a test! Will it work on Mac?
The English South African.
Batting is simple (3W's):
Wait for it
It's being written in BlitzMax, which cross compiles (without any changes I believe) to both Mac & Linux. I have zero experience with either of these operating systems, but I will have access to a Mac this weekend and am going to give it a go.
Didn't get nearly enough done this week, I'll try to get a bit more done so that I can compile an early pre-beta version (if such a thing exists)
Hosted with media fire, wasn't sure if there was anyone better for free hosting - let me know if there is.
PC 40mb - tmc_pc_beta_1.zip
MAC 43mb - tmc_mac_beta_1.zip
The application you want to run is called TestMatchCricket.Debug
When it loads, press 'S' to start the game
The ball should go to somewhere on the field, and you'll get a flashing Run Y/N message at the top left of the window. Press either Y or N to choose whether or not to run. If you choose not to run, press the ENTER key to bowl the next ball.
Before pressing ENTER, you can press F1 to bring up the full scoreboard.
If a wicket falls, you'll be shown a new window with the available batters, use the cursor keys and ENTER to choose your next batsman.
Some quick things to keep in mind before downloading/running:
1. Scan for viruses, they are virus free to the best of my knowledge
2. I make no warranty to usefulness of the download, use at your own risk
3. This is a VERY early version, it still has bugs and is subject to crashes - i.e. there is no code to deal with the end of an innings, so the program will likely either crash or just present you with a list of batsman with none available to be picked.
4. The exit the game, when you press ENTER to bowl the next ball, press ESC immediately after and it should close down gracefully.
5. I don't have access to a Mac, so if the download doesn't work, I'm sorry you'll have to wait for a bit before I can get someone to re-compile it for me.
6. It does some weird stuff on the Mac (hits ball outside of the field) and also has some graphics issues (flashing of player status panel) - I'm not sure why this happens, I'll work on getting the PC version working first and then will have to ask others with more knowledge why the Mac version is behaving the way it is.
Any other questions, post in here and I'll get back to you.
EDIT: Forgot to mention a couple more things:
1. I've included pics of players from Ashes T2 - I am not going to normally include these pics as I don't own them, I just ran out of time to alter the code and if I provided the game without these pics it would just crash on loading because I haven't written code that deals with pic files not existing.
2. The download is so big mainly due to sound samples - WAV files - one is 34Mb on it's own, haven't investigated if there is a better/smaller file format that I can use.
Last edited by John73; 03-08-2013 at 08:36 PM.
After doing very little for the last couple of weeks, I got back into it today. Getting close to having a fully working (but feature poor) Beta version available. I will post a link here tomorrow.
Anyone interested in testing for me, please do and provide feedback keeping in mind that this is a very early version and lots of features you will probably want, I already have planned but not implemented yet. Alternatively, you can email me directly at email@example.com and I'll create a mailing list and notify you when the Beta is up and when updates are made.
As usual, I'm trying to maintain what is happening at my blog: Test Match Cricket | An Amstrad CPC Remake
I'm very interested in helping out with the testing and feedback on the game! I will download the Mac version of the early Beta this evening, and the new one when it's released!
Blog seems to take a while to open for some reason but guessing that's an issue with works poor choice of new PC and system rather than an issue at your end. Again, will have a look at home.
Thanks very much for your continued work on this, I'm sure it'll be a cracker when you get some tester feedback and spot issues you may have missed.
Looking forward to it. I'll send you my email now for a mailing list spot!
The latest Mac version of the Beta may be a little time off, I'll need to get someone to compile it for me as I don't have a Mac myself, and there will be video issues with the Mac version as I found from the first compile I tried a month or so ago, which I won't have sorted out. I'll possibly try and get to the local Uni tomorrow where they do have Mac's, but not sure if they'll allow me to load the necessary software on them so that I can compile. I do have a contact on a programming forum who will do it, but I'd prefer to do it myself if possible.
Beta Version 0.02b is now up on MediaFire & DropBox. I can also email the game (7.6mb) if you can't access filesharing sites.
More info here: Test Match Cricket | An Amstrad CPC Remake
MediaFire link: TestMatchCricket_002b.zip
DropBox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/58v2xfnwjy...icket_002b.zip
A very early release, still lots to do - so be kind
Used to have this game on cassette tape for the Amstrad...any chance you can make it take 30 minutes to load so it replicates the original?
"What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)
R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best
R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi
Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath
"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.
I'll see what I can do, maybe a retro feature so that you can start the game loading, go watch some TV and then come back and play the game (if there wasn't a loading error)
Note to all: Keep an eye on the Blog - I may not always post updates in here unless they are major, there will probably be newer releases every couple of days for a little while as I add new stuff and get rid of bugs as I find them.
New beta release 0.03b is now up for anyone following the game progression.
Links can be found here: Test Match Cricket | An Amstrad CPC Remake
Getting close to a finished game, or finished with what I want out of this very basic game - next game will be massive compared to this Just need to write the code to handle run outs and end of game and then it's done. Plenty of stuff that could and still may be added, but I'm really wanting to just get this finished to a working stage and then I'll begin work on the real thing - a WAY more comprehensive sim which is based on more stats than any other cricket sim that I'm currently aware of.
All the wonderful technicolor glory of the Amstrad CPC. Alan Sugar brought us the age of quality, affordable home computing. The delirious sound of the tape deck whirring away as Sultan's Maze took Twelve minutes to load before conking out half way through.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)