• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NP Cricket Simulator: Updated Version (16-04-2020)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As you all know, I'm planning on writing an entirely new game engine from the ground up (which in due course will be incorporated into Beach Cricket 2006 and possibly used for the CWXI as weel) so right now I'm looking at people's ideas for what needs including in a cricket simulator.

At present, I'm thinking:

Players' Heights
Bowling Type
Bowling Speed
Bowling Accuracy
Bowling Movement/Spin
Bowling Lines
Bowling Lengths
Batting Foot Preference
Batting Side Preference
Batting Shot Power
Batting Timing
Pitch - Pace, Movement, Spin
Outfield
Weather
Field Placements (not to the nth degree as I do not have the ability/time)

The bowling and batting attributes will determine the abilities of players rather than their averages.

Obviously with sensible bowling changes and movable batting orders and properly paced run-scoring.

Please add to the list...

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Any more ideas?

It's likely to take a long time as I do need to fit it around the rest of my life and my degree :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clearly you don't have your priorities straight. :)

It would be good if it had decent stat tracking capability and a reader-friendly scorecard output.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Stat tracking I can do (as you can see in BC02) - but it's anal to code - and I think the current cards are readable - a few tabs will be used in the next versions, however.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Re: New Sim?

Neil Pickup said:
At present, I'm thinking:

Players' Heights
Bowling Type
Bowling Speed
Bowling Accuracy
Bowling Movement/Spin
Bowling Lines
Bowling Lengths
Batting Foot Preference
Batting Side Preference
Batting Shot Power
Batting Timing
Outfield
Weather

The bowling and batting attributes will determine the abilities of players rather than their averages.

Obviously with sensible bowling changes and movable batting orders and properly paced run-scoring.

Please add to the list and I will attempt to knock this up
Abitily to swing the ball
Catching / ground fielding ability
speed between wickets

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: Re: New Sim?

age_master said:
Abitily to swing the ball
Catching / ground fielding ability
speed between wickets
1/ That's included under Bowling Movement/Spin
2/ Cheers. Also Keeping ability standing up/back
3/ Good thinking.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Re: Re: New Sim?

Neil Pickup said:
1/ That's included under Bowling Movement/Spin
2/ Cheers. Also Keeping ability standing up/back
3/ Good thinking.
This is sounding a very detailed and comprehensive game! Are you sure you want it to be freeware?

David

International 12th Man
Experience? Form?

Will players be able to improve over time etc etc?

or is that just too much?

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Sim?

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
This is sounding a very detailed and comprehensive game! Are you sure you want it to be freeware?
Yes, He is...:D

No, but seriously that is a good question. If you happen to actually finish the game what with your social life, What are your plans for it? other than CWXI and Devs

David

International 12th Man
I don't think i saw any provision for Batting aggression/defensiveness. Unless Shot power and timing somehow come into that?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Maybe Mental Toughness could be added as well - i.e. players like Steve Waugh, Brian Lara, Glenn McGrath etc. would have high ratings for this.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Basically I want it to be as good as possible - I'm fed up of using the half-baked efforts of others :) - so keep firing them this way. I intend to make it solely the match engine now (ie there won't be scope for experience/form) so it *shouldn't* take too obscene an amount of time to complete.

I guess values for a players' willingness to go for shots and their proficiencies against spin and pace would be useful too, cheers David.

Mental Toughness will be interesting, I'm not entirely sure how I would code that into the game but there's no harm in creating data for it.

Within the next week I will write a data editor and I would like some people to create team data files with it (16 man squads) in batting order, thanks :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mental Toughness, I suppose, would come into effect when a) playing against good teams, b) on the 4th and 5th day when a good effort is needed to win, c) playing against good players, d) when a batsman is at 140, 150 with nothing to motivate him. Just an idea...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So, to recap, what we've got included so far:

Players' Heights
Bowling Type
Bowling Speed
Bowling Accuracy
Bowling Movement/Spin
Bowling Lines
Bowling Lengths
Batting Foot Preference
Batting Side Preference
Batting Shot Power
Batting Timing
Outfield
Weather
Catching ability
Ground fielding ability
Speed between wickets
Keeping standing back
Keeping standing up
Proficiency vs Pace
Proficiency vs Spin
Willingness to go for Shots
Mental Toughness

Right, who's up for helping in the development/data creation process? There is absolutely no way I have the time to do it all myself, so I'd like volunteers for data creation (see above... will create editor shortly) and also general development/research/graphic design.

:)