• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NP Cricket Simulator: Updated Version (16-04-2020)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still maintain that this was going to be the best LO cricket simulator going by a massive margin if you ever got around to finishing it, Neil. Was pretty close to being there already, tbh - I'd still be using it at my site if I didn't eventually purpose-build my own.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mariner - It's not *that* screen-intensive, is it?

I will get back to it one day, I swear. I just got frustrated by the fact that I couldn't work the AI properly to get the bowling orders right, and consequently crappy spinners kept being given late overs to tail enders and getting the best averages...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can't be that hard to make it save the best two seamers in the side some overs for the death, even if a little contrived.

mightymariner

U19 12th Man
Mariner - It's not *that* screen-intensive, is it?

I will get back to it one day, I swear. I just got frustrated by the fact that I couldn't work the AI properly to get the bowling orders right, and consequently crappy spinners kept being given late overs to tail enders and getting the best averages...
Probably not, I've just got a 1024*600 screen so it doesn't all fit, can't see the next over etc bit. Still seems like a really good sim though.

Can't be that hard to make it save the best two seamers in the side some overs for the death, even if a little contrived.
Couldn't you put something in to save Seamers X and Y say 4 overs each at the death?

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Surely you can fiddle with your screen size? Or move the taskbar to the side, just to have a play?

The issue with the AI is trying to make it think flexibly and as I would whilst captaining (well, clearly that's not going to happen) rather than just following Ricky Ponting's big book of captaincy by numbers. Sometimes you want X and Y back for 8 overs at the death... others you don't.

Hmm. I am motivated to have a play over the next day or so before the holidays are out. Any more "surprise features" or ideas for me to target?

PS - Take it you're a Grimsby Town fan with that username?

mightymariner

U19 12th Man
Surely you can fiddle with your screen size? Or move the taskbar to the side, just to have a play?

The issue with the AI is trying to make it think flexibly and as I would whilst captaining (well, clearly that's not going to happen) rather than just following Ricky Ponting's big book of captaincy by numbers. Sometimes you want X and Y back for 8 overs at the death... others you don't.

Hmm. I am motivated to have a play over the next day or so before the holidays are out. Any more "surprise features" or ideas for me to target?

Already hide the taskbar, so can't do anything on that front unfortunately. :dry:

And yes I am a town fan :cool:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Mac compatibility :ph34r:

All jokes aside, looks like a pretty damn good simulator.

mightymariner

U19 12th Man
Keyboard shortcuts for next ball/over, change of innings and anything else that's in that little section. Shouldn't be too hard I wouldn't have thought.

EDIT: And maybe the ability to have different databases.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lockdown Progress!

Afternoon all, just the 11 plus years since I last did any work on this project...

Week 3 (Week 4? Who's counting?) of Lockdown has pushed me to the extent that I ended up in the attic digging around for old computers and seeing if I could find the source code for this simulator.

Turned out that I could, and that there were a few little features that I fancied trying to (i) remember how to code and (ii) try to iron out. A few hours later...

NP CRICKET 2020

======================
Changes 14.04.20: v1.0
======================

* Overhaul of match engine processing, including
- Higher scoring rates in ODI cricket (the game's changed since 2008)
- Reducing likelihood of runout and increasing dependence on shot type
- Increased bowling fatigue to prevent exceptionally long spells
- Decreased umpires' wides tolerance - possibly now too many bowled?
- "Edge" recoded to reduce chance of playing on/nicking off early in innings
- Batting intent increased significantly in early overs of long games
- More likelihood of leaves when not worth playing (especially early overs)
- Ground impact (movement) has less impact on batting outcomes
- Bowling Changes AI tweaked to reduce part-time use during death overs
- Spinners' effect recoded to increase threat especially on turning wickets

* General fixes
- Access Violation errors reduced - declaring data arrays as global variables
- Not sure if this is totally fixed yet as some errors occur in World Series
- Software Renamed NP Cricket 2020

I've attached the current version - three .exe files (simulator, stat tracker and rudimentary editor) plus three folders (data, images, output). Stick them all in a folder somewhere and tell me what you think!

Oh, the players still appear to be from 2006. If someone would like to make a dataset where England don't get smashed from pillar to post, that would be great...

Attachments