Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: *Official* My Cricket Simulator: Updated Demo Available (29-12-2008)

Nice game, for a demo. Looks good.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    One thing which would really assist analysis would be to print scorecards in sequence order when you sim a series or multiple matches after each other.

So start with saving to card1.htm, if it exists try card2.htm, etc.

From today's testing, Wankhede works reasonably well in assisting the spinners (they consistently come out on top), but the scores are amazingly high there. Low control bowlers struggle ridiculously at Edgbaston (40 wides) - though especially if the batsmen can't bat, for some reason. Edgbaston may also be difficult to bat on but still gives decent totals (though that may be because my testing teams have proper batsmen down to 11)

Interestingly, it appears that if you put worse batsmen at the top of the order, they struggle a lot more than they would if you stick them at six.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Interestingly, it appears that if you put worse batsmen at the top of the order, they struggle a lot more than they would if you stick them at six.
    Like Ian Bell.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Coach
    I think the wides problem is related to length. When you set it to bowl on off stump, it seems to mean pitching it on off, rather than it reaching the stumps on off. Thus if you're bowling short, it ends up angling down the leg side. Couldn't this be changed? Seems a little irrational to be like this, if I'm right in thinking it is.

Also, I think wides are probably because the movement on pitches is probably a bit too much atm, though I don't know, obviously. Neil, didn't you have a program which showed visually what happened with each ball on certain pitch settings? Couldn't you experiment with that to find out the realistic parameters?

Another thing is that it's a bit hard to experiment as it stands, as the commentary seems to contradict itself. It'll say things like "... full of a length, on the stumps, left alone, wicketkeeper takes it easily" or something - if it's full and on the stumps... wouldn't he be bowled? Have lowered bounce to make doubly sure it's not going over the top, same commentary occurs, there are other examples as well where it can contradict itself.

Pretty playable still just from my little experiment just now, good work.
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 25-12-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    I think the wides problem is related to length. When you set it to bowl on off stump, it seems to mean pitching it on off, rather than it reaching the stumps on off. Thus if you're bowling short, it ends up angling down the leg side. Couldn't this be changed? Seems a little irrational to be like this, if I'm right in thinking it is.

Also, I think wides are probably because the movement on pitches is probably a bit too much atm, though I don't know, obviously. Neil, didn't you have a program which showed visually what happened with each ball on certain pitch settings? Couldn't you experiment with that to find out the realistic parameters?

Another thing is that it's a bit hard to experiment as it stands, as the commentary seems to contradict itself. It'll say things like "... full of a length, on the stumps, left alone, wicketkeeper takes it easily" or something - if it's full and on the stumps... wouldn't he be bowled? Have lowered bounce to make doubly sure it's not going over the top, same commentary occurs, there are other examples as well where it can contradict itself.

Pretty playable still just from my little experiment just now, good work.
    The reason it runs like this is because of the way the match engine deploys swing and spin: the location the ball pitches is essential to the batsman's conception of line and length, leading to judgement, misjudgement, play-and-misses and nicks.

Having said that, keepers get less than half as many catches as outfielders. Needs changing: will also sort the 'wides' issue that appears most when there is a weak batsman on a bowler's track.
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 26-12-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Lots of updates, as requested. A few extra grounds added - of which Lord's probably gives the best, balanced cricket as it's a fair track. Also have tweaked the bowling AI heavily regarding line, length and bowling changes. The stats file shows the latest round of testing - if you ignore the fact that Craig Cumming is topping the bowling averages after 8 overs in 75 games, then it's all awesome (also, Kamran Akmal has gone on one of his crazily good batting runs...)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Michael Clarke just bowled the last over of a T20 match against West Indies and took 1-1-0-1. Fairish enough, given that Ian Bradshaw faced 5 of the balls and Ramdin was out to the other. But then Australia needed 8 off the final over to win and Brad Hogg only managed 2 against Chris Gayle. Hmmm...
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

More tweaking - very happy with how it's playing now: more feedback would be really appreciated, as would any data updates (looking for the right balance between bat and ball, swing and seam - the pitch really counts) or requests for changes, additions, or where we try to go next. I've simmed nearly 2,300 games in the last two days...

I've attached the latest version, and a card/bbb from a thrilling low-scorer between England and Sri Lanka at Exeter...

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Just had a quick match at the Basin. Having the top order bat aggressively seemed to initiate away, throwing wicket of. Oram and Vincent on a lower aggression through the middle overs worked well. Don't think there's too much wrong with it - nothing that I noticed anyway. Also, bowling full and on the stumps (i.e. yorkers) worked very well in the death overs.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Updated again - byes significantly reduced for about the ninth time.

Also had a play with the front end tonight - can now see Hawkeye plots of the over (be gentle) and player profiles through right-clicking the player names on the team selection page.

Just got whipped by 140 runs by Australia.

Seems pretty regulation, except that at one point I'd slipped to 160odd for 8 from about 25 overs.

Australia 326 all out... South Africa 89 all out in reply... hmmm... McGrath and Hogg each took 3-3.

This is a very nice games. I would like to see your playr stats whith your game thhough.
    My Bes XI of all time:

1. H Sutcliffe
    2. J Hobbs
    3. D Bradman
    4. S Tendulkar
    5. B Lara
    6. G Sobers
    7. A Gilchrist
    8. R Benaud
    9. D Lillee
    10. M Marshall
    11. I Khan

I don't like drug addicts.
    I don't like chukkas.

Played a ripper of a match.
    Twenty20 between Australia and England. England needed 2 off the last over annd Brett Lee bowled a wicket maiden.

Am checking it out now. Will tell you what I think of the new version shortly.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread Information