• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa 2011 - Shedding the Choker's Tag (?) [CC2011]

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Gary Kirsten

DoB: 23/11/1967
Based in: Cape Town, South Africa.
Test Match Stats: 101 matches, 7289 runs @ 45.27, 21 hundreds (HS: 275)
ODI Stats: 185 matches, 6798 runs @ 40.95, 13 hundreds (HS: 188*)
Coaching Positions: Western Dolphins, India, South Africa
Last Series: World Cup 2011 with India – WON
Next Series: South Africa vs New Zealand in New Zealand (3 ODIs)

Cricket South Africa Centrally Contracted Players:
Graeme Smith (Test Captain) – Opening Batsman.
AB de Villiers (ODI and T/20 Captain, Test Vice Captain) – Middle Order Batsman, Occasional Wicketkeeper.
Hashim Amla (ODI and T/20 Vice Captain) – Top Order Batsman.
Johan Botha – Lower Middle Order Order Batsman, Off Spin Bowler.
Loots Bosman – Opening Batsman
Mark Boucher – Lower Middle Order Batsman, Wicketkeeper.
JP Duminy – Middle Order Batsman, Occasional Off Spin Bowler
Colin Ingram – Middle Order Batsman
Jacques Kallis – Top Order Batsman, Right Arm Medium Fast Bowler.
Ryan McLaren – Lower Middle Order Batsman, Right Arm Fast Medium Bowler
Albie Morkel – Lower Middle Order Batsman, Right Arm Fast Medium Bowler
Morne Morkel – Late Order Batsman, Right Arm Fast Bowler
Wayne Parnell – Late Order Batsman, Left Arm Fast Medium Bowler
Alviro Petersen – Opening Batsman
Robin Peterson – Late Order Batsman, Slow Left Arm Orthodox Bowler
Ashwell Prince – Middle Order/Opening Batsman
Dale Steyn – Late Order Batsman, Right Arm Fast Bowler
Imran Tahir – Tail End Batsman, Right Arm Leg Spin Bowler
Rusty Theron – Tail End Batsman, Right Arm Medium Fast Bowler
Lonwabo Tsotsobe – Tail End Batsman, Left Arm Medium Fast Bowler

Gary Kirsten named South Africa coach
ESPNCricinfo.com said:
Gary Kirsten has been appointed coach of the South Africa team for a term of two years. He will be joined by Allan Donald as bowling coach, and Russell Domingo, who coached the Warriors, as an assistant.

"I'm delighted by the appointment and consider it a major honour," Kirsten said at a press conference in Johannesburg. "It's nice to be back … it's nice to be among my people and to be working within that space."

Kirsten will begin his term as coach immediately, with his first tour being an away ODI series against New Zealand. He took over from Corrie van Zyl, who was an interim coach for 14 months after Mickey Arthur resigned following the home series against England in 2009-10.

This is Kirsten's second stint as coach of an international team. He finished a two-year term with India earlier this month, after helping them win the 2011 World Cup and become the No. 1 Test team. At the end of his tenure, Kirsten indicated he would take time off to be with his young family.

"There was a lot to consider from my side, from a personal perspective and from my time with Indian cricket," he said. "A cooling off period was necessary." Kirsten will have some time off from the end of his time with India to his starting date with South Africa.

Kirsten described his new role as that of "team director/head coach" who would be at the helm of the "coaching team" which may also employ the services of a fielding coach on a contractual basis. CSA chief executive Gerald Majola said that after the board decided to appoint Kirsten, he was allowed to compile his own team of coaches, which included Donald and Domingo.

Donald, who recently lost the Australia bowling job to Craig McDermott, turned down an offer from New Zealand Cricket in order to take up the role with South Africa. He was approached on Friday, when "some of my bags were packed" for New Zealand but did an about turn immediately "When I got the call from Gary it took me all but half a second to say yes," Donald said. "It was almost like the very first call from Doctor Bacher in 1991, saying you are going to India and representing your country." Donald will travel with the South Africa A team to Zimbabwe at the end of June for a tri-series which also involves Australia A.

Donald's appointment means Vincent Barnes' contract will be terminated at the end of June. Barnes has been involved as South Africa's bowling and assistant coach since 2003 and was hopeful of continuing his involvement. "He was offered the job of coaching Bangladesh and has turned it down," Majola said. "We have offered him a role at the High Perfomance Centre and are waiting for him to respond."

The assistant role will be filled by Domingo, who was coach of the A side when they played Bangladesh A this year. He has been coach of the Warriors franchise for the last four seasons and won both the MTN40 and Standard Bank Pro20 titles in the 2009-10 season. "It is a positive for me having worked with a lot of players at South Africa A level," Doningo said. "I suppose I can give Allan and Gary a little bit of insight into the players."

Kirsten did not discuss whether he would travel extensively, as it was initially thought he would not accompany the team on lesser tours. He indicated, however, that Domingo was being groomed for bigger things when he said, "There might well come a time when I feel that we can be quite flexible within our coaching staff."

AB de Villiers named ODI and T20 captain
ESPNCricinfo.com said:
AB de Villiers has been named South Africa's one-day and Twenty20 international captain, succeeding Graeme Smith, who had stood down following the 2011 World Cup but will remain the Test captain. Hashim Amla has been named vice-captain in both limited-over formats, while de Villiers is also Smith's deputy in the Test team.

South Africa's newly-appointed coach, Gary Kirsten, said the additional responsibility given to de Villiers, who will now have to be senior batsman, wicketkeeper and captain in the limited-over formats, had not yet been considered. "We have had one conversation about it and we will talk about it further," Kirsten said.

de Villiers didn't appear to be burdened by the additional tasks either. "There is a lot of responsibility on my shoulders and I am really looking forward to it," he said at a press conference in Johannesburg. "I am obviously very excited and ready to learn. I am really looking forward to this whole challenge. I will work closely with Hashim and the coach. I have been through some ups and downs in my career and I am ready to take on anything."
de Villiers' dual appointment is in keeping with convenor of selectors Andrew Hudson's vision that there would be continuity in captaincy. Hudson had said in April that the next one-day captain would be likely to become the next Test captain as well.

Kirsten said there was a "general feeling" that de Villiers was the right man for the job because of his certainty in the starting XI. "I think it's important that you are looking at an individual whose name is the first or second on the team sheet, that does play a role," he said.

Johan Botha, who was appointed Smith's successor in the Twenty20 format in August 2010 has effectively been stripped of the captaincy. CSA chief executive Gerald Majola said that Botha had been informed of the news by telephone. "Everyone understands that we are selecting new captains and coaches and we just had to get hold of Johan and tell him he wasn't selected." Botha could well lose his place in the side because of the rise of Pakistan-born legspinner Imran Tahir and the return to form of Robin Peterson.

There was some speculation that Amla had been approached to take over the captaincy but had turned it down. He denied any such reports. Amla said he was happy with his vice-captain appointment because he considered himself an "under-the-radar character."

"I did take a long time to think about it, I feel it is a huge responsibility. AB as captain for me is an excellent move, I have always respected him as a person," Amla said. "I don't think I am a big enough person to handle the captaincy. I turned down the Dolphins captaincy and I decided afterward that I would stick to my batting, and when this came up I took it. It is a perfect fit for me."

Amla captained the Dolphins for one season in 2004-05 and he stepped down to concentrate on his batting, despite scoring 249 in the SuperSport Series final. He has only played three T20s and may be regarded as a surprise choice for the vice-captaincy in that format. "My career has gone in stages," he said. "The next one for me will be to establish myself as a world class T20 player."

Smith, who was also present at the press conference, said he had no regrets about stepping down as one-day captain and at no stage did he reconsider his decision. After eight years of captaining the ODI team, Smith said he was ready to relinquish the leadership and contribute as a senior player, while allowing de Villiers to grow into his new role.

"I am looking forward to having more freedom in the shorter formats of the game and to enjoying my cricket again," he said. "I said to AB it is very important that he establishes himself in the job and finds his way. I will always be supportive if he needs me. He will need senior players to support him and I feel I will be a good shoulder for him to lean on."

Note: These articles were taken from Cricinfo and tweaked slightly to provide the context to the story, i.e. it is not my own work.