• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chewie's ICC2010 New Zealand Story

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
This is a new save file I've just made as New Zealand in ICC2010. It features a number of edits to players because the developers thought they were **** when they're not, or thought they were gun when they're terrible. Just going to be playing all the games and seeing how I go. It's not going to be heavily detailed or anything. If you want something like that check out my ICC story over at PlanetCricket.net (Hasn't been updated for a few months, will probably start doing some updates in a week or so if I can be bothered).

Squad for the World T20:

Daniel Vettori - Captain
Shane Bond
Neil Broom
Grant Elliott
James Franklin
Martin Guptill
Brendon McCullum
Nathan McCullum
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Jesse Ryder
Tim Southee
Shanan Stewart
Scott Styris
Ross Taylor

I'm gonna try and make the squads rather realistic, as in I'm not gonna keep switching players in and out of the team as that just doesn't happen in real life. Players are also not going to be randomly plucked from domestic cricket unless they've had a good season and are in good form as well.

Chewie

New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Lineup:
McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Stewart
Styris
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Bond​

Lost the toss and bowled first. I'm a lazy person and don't set custom fields. Because of this we got smashed by the Sri Lankan batsman. Sangakkara scored 68 off 33 and Mills was the only one to bowl well. They eventually left us 200 to chase. McCullum failed under pressure and got a golden duck. Taylor lasted a ball longer. Guptill was pretty good at 3 though and got 59 off 48 but everyone else failed. We lost by 63 runs and we have to beat Zimbabwe to get through to the next round which shouldn't be too hard...

Last edited:

Chewie

Your patch Chewie?
All i've basically done is use an editor to change quite a few of the ratings of players so that they're more realistic. There's an old version over at PlanetCricket in my ICC thread. I've updated it slightly since then, but with the most recent patch some of the ratings in the excel file there are out of date. This is for ICC2010.

Chewie

New Zealand vs Zimbabwe

Lineup
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Stewart
Styris
Vettori
Oram
Mills
Bond

Loss the toss again and batted. Guptill and McCullum got out early but Jesse and Ross steadied the ship. Jesse finished on 89 off 59 which is a pretty decent effort, but he didn't any sixes unusually. Mills then ran through the top order, taking 3 wickets in his first over. He took 7 of the top 8 wickets in an amazing spell. Annoyingly though, Sri Lanka lost to Zimbabwe (no idea how) and because we got owned in the first match we're out of the tournament. Pakistan lost to Bangladesh so they're out as well, but apart from that the super 8 are the usual suspects.

LOL Bangladesh won the World T20, chasing down England's151 with an over to spare. India and West Indies were the other two semi-finalists. Weirdly, the only match Bangladesh lost in the whole tournament was to Zimbabwe :huh:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL Bangladesh won the World T20, chasing down England's151 with an over to spare. India and West Indies were the other two semi-finalists. Weirdly, the only match Bangladesh lost in the whole tournament was to Zimbabwe :huh:
Haha, thats so typical of ICC to throw in bizarre AI generated results like that. Better luck for the rest of your game, looking forward to reading your story. :)

Chewie

I think it's partly because I moved some of the Bangladesh and Zimbabwe ratings up so they'd be more of a challenge lol Oh well, tour of South Africa next, where we're probably gonna get wasted.

Chewie

Squad for the Tests against South Africa:

Guptill
Taylor
Broom
McIntosh
How
McCullum
Hopkins
Ryder
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Southee
Arnel
Tuffey
Patel​

McCullum is not going to keep because I'm gonna try make this reflect real life.

New Zealand vs South Africa

Playing XI for the first test:
McCullum
McIntosh
Guptill
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori
Franklin
Hopkins
Mills
Tuffey
Arnel​

I won the toss and chose to bat first. Despite surviving 80 balls, McIntosh departed shortly after for 20 off 92 to Steyn. Steyn also caused Guptill to walk back to the pavilion shortly afterwards. At the other end McCullum was strong and reached his century with a single off Morkel. Taylor had recently perished, also to Steyn, and this brought Ryder to the middle. As is quite typical of NZ batsmen, McCullum departed shortly after reaching his century and the captain joined Ryder at the crease. The second new ball accounted for Ryder, but Vettori was still out there on 44* at the end of the first day's play. He reached his half-century early the next morning, with Hopkins also surprisingly reaching this milestone. New Zealand were finally all out on 395 with Steyn and Morkel doing most of the damage.

Amla was in amazing form, but Franklin and Vettori had gotten rid of Smith and de Villiers by the end of the second day without too much damage being done. The next morning, Kallis and Petersen didn't last very long, but Amla had already reached 126 before he missed a ball from Vettori to be bowled. For some reason Morne van Wyk was keeping, and he and Prince put on a very good stand for the sixth wicket. Vettori eventually got van Wyk out and the bowlers ran through the tail leaving Prince stranded on 143*. They had managed a first innings lead of 81 runs.

Morkel was deadly in the second innings, removing the top 3 and leaving Ryder with the task of recovering the innings after Taylor and Vettori were both dismissed as well. He however was dismissed for 61 as the lower order folded to 239 all out. South Africa only needed 159 to win with more than a day remaining.

Despite Vettori taking two top order wickets, and Tuffey snaring Smith, the South Africans had no problems in their chase, with Kallis and Prince steering them home with plenty of time remaining.

Chewie

New Zealand vs South Africa

Playing XI for the second test:
McCullum
McIntosh
Guptill
Taylor
Ryder
Broom
Vettori
Hopkins
Mills
Tuffey
Southee

This match was quite the opposite to the previous one. Won the toss and batted first, The top order all got starts but the middle order where the ones who pressed on. Ryder scored a patient 133, Broom scored 73 on debut and Vettori reached yet another century. The major downside was Southee retiring injured. We would only have 3 bowlers for the rest of the match, along with the part time bowling of Guptill, Ryder, and Taylor (and McCullum :ph34r:)

Mills and Vettori ran through the batting lineup quickly in the first innings and they were all out still 358 runs behind our first innings. In the second innings Vettori was deadly and managed to reach his ten wicket haul for the match for a great all-round performance.

I think my new ratings may have been slightly too generous towards NZ...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mills rated just right IMO.

However, Vettori with second-innings wickets? Something is amiss.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, very impressive victory! Now if only we could pull those sort of wins off in real life...

Chewie

Squad for the ODI series:

Guptill
Taylor
Broom
B McCullum
Ryder
Vettori
Franklin
Styris
Williamson
Elliott
Oram
N McCullum
Mills
Tuffey
McKay

Southee is injured. Apart from that, a pretty ordinary squad. Williamson's along for the ride, probably won't get game time though.

First ODI vs South Africa

Playing XI:

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Styris
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
McKay

A pretty easy match in the end. Mills and Vettori were tight, while the rest of the bowlers were pretty expensive. We managed to restrict them to a pretty decent score which they got to due to some late power hitting from Morkel and van Wyk. Ryder and McCullum played a typically aggressive knock at the top and made the chase once they got out rather easy. Guptill also chipped in with a half century as we got there with a few balls remaining.

Chewie

Second ODI vs South Africa
Same lineup was played for the second ODI

They managed to reach 275 thanks to some late power hitting against Mills by Morkel and Petersen. Vettori was his usual economical self though, with the South African batsmen seeming to hold off attacking him and playing him out. McCullum and Guptill were both out within the first two overs of the chase so it was up to Rossco and Jesse to stabilise the innings. Jesse was out on 23 however, and Elliott followed shortly afterwards. The match basically lay in Taylors hands and he fell on 85 (73) with 120 still required at 7.2 an over. Vettori was hitting out but wasn't supported well by the tailenders, finished one short of his half-century as we lost by 43 runs.