• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Cricket Captain General Thread of Miscellany

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The Twenty20s were a lot easier and more realistic than 2009's. 2009's Twenty20 match engine was terrible.
Absolutely agree. In the 16 T20 group matches in my first season, I passed 200 four times - I'd be lucky to make 180 more than once a season in previous ICC games.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I won the first Test, but then I got greedy. I was set 303 to win in two and a half sessions. I should have batted out a draw. :(

Attachments

Just drew the Ashes 1-1, in a very close 5th game. England needed 10 off the last over but we restricted them.

So they retain the Ashes, but don't win them outright.

_Ed_

Do you guys think I should give this guy a run in Tests?

His FC stats would suggest the answer to that question is "**** no!" But he's been way better in ODIs than his List A stats indicate, so maybe that can translate to the longer form... My NZ team is pretty good in ODIs but struggling in Tests, so I'm looking for an answer.

This guy is such an awesome ODI player. He's pushed Oram out of the team. A really great find.

Attachments

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Reminds me a lot of some of the English allrounders who have done very reasonable jobs in limited overs and T20 matches for my Somerset side, averaging in the low 30s with the bat and mid-high 20s with the ball; but their FC averages have been less impressive. In saying that, most of those allrounders haven't then taken wickets at an average of 20 in ODIs...

I'd also be cautious about playing him in tests given his FC record, but statistics can be deceptive on ICC, particularly for bowlers who can take a while to come right. I'd also consider his second team average which I find as a good judge about 2/3 of the time as to how a player will progress against more difficult opposition.

_Ed_

Yeah, it was his second team record that caught my eye when I first gave him a run in ODIs - it's currently 35.39 with the bat and 26.14 with the ball.

But when I was checking that just then, I noticed that Warren McSkimming's second team bowling average is a faintly ludicrous 17.26. He was only average when I tried him once before (9 wickets in 3 Tests @ 34.78), but maybe he deserves another shot.

I'll give Patterson a year or two. There's a tri-series in Australia against the Aussies and England coming up, and a World Cup not far away, so I'll see if he can sustain his ODI brilliance through those tough assignments. And hopefully his FC stats will improve a bit in that time as well.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Have always thought if your running an International only game on ICC, all rounders never produce in domestic first class, always end up with bowling averages 35+

Flem274*

123/5
One of my allrounders from my old game had a FC batting ave. of 36 and a bowling ave. of 28, and the second best allrounder had a batting ave. of 33 and bowling ave. of 31, so it's possible.

Daemon

Wondering whether I should play 09, currently playing 08. Is it worth the change?

Flem274*

123/5
It depends on the latitude and the morphology of the local sea floor and shoreline. In the Arctic Ocean the tidal range is less than 0.8 meters in some areas. Here is a map of tidal range for the Arctic Ocean:
Very interesting. How do you think glacial periods and the resulting sea level decline affects it?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hes averaging 55 with the bat in FC and just over 20 with the ball after 4 FC matches for me this season; hes almost the most expensive overseas player in the game but been worth the price so far.

_Ed_

This game can be so demoralising.

I've never won a Test series in India, but I thought the team I was taking there in my NZ game had the best chance of doing it.

I so nearly won the first Test. I had the upper hand throughout the match, set them 425 to win, and had them nine down for 310 at stumps on the fifth day. :( Dravid ended up 55* from 222 balls.

That was hugely disappointing, but I thought that since I went so close in the first match, surely I had a good chance of getting the job done in the second and final Test.

The match was even through the first three days, with India taking a small first innings lead. But then Tendulkar slammed 170*, and suddenly I was chasing over 300 to win. Their spinners tore me to shreds, and I was all out for 149.

I've had some heartbreakingly narrow defeats, but this thrashing hurts just as much. To go so close to taking an unassailable 1-0 series lead in the first Test, and then to lose the series...ugh. Might take a break from ICC for a while.