• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Cricket Captain General Thread of Miscellany

Insomnia_Nz

Cricket Spectator
Nz

Has anybody for a decent starting XI with NZ? and any tips for OD bowling/batting, I always get smashed and when i chase i get mowed down for like 150-200 runs... I change the bowling lenghts but it doesnt seem to help, same happens in t20, i collapse like the real NZ team, it's rather pathetic :dry:

Isura

U19 Captain
I set custom fields. Put 5 men on the boundry (backword point, extra cover, long on, mid wicket, and backward square). Short mid on and short midwicket to save singles and mid off/3rd man in the ring. That's a great field for 1 day matches. You can move square leg to the offside and bowl outside off stump too. But it's difficult to defend 200 in any case. But you can defend 220+ on bad pitches, and 250+ on good pitches.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I tend to try and bowl first, set my field to as defensive as it can get once the fielding restrictions are over and bowl at the batsmens weaknesses. If someone is proving impossible to get out I think try bowling at their strengths to see if that trips them up or simply gets them off strike.

Jakester1288

International Regular

4 in a row.

Mitch Johnson under a different name, because I renamed everyone to make it our school cricket team.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Can you peeps see the picture, or has it been removed? I can't see it, that's for sure. Text for the pic is there though.

Insomnia_Nz

Cricket Spectator
mmm

Just found out that Martin Guptill is a pretty decent opener in the ODI form, aves 42 from 30 innings, my ODI team is pretty decent at the moment, beat South Africa 2-1, lost to Lanka 3-0 :huh:, Beat Africa 3-2 and now i head to the world cup! My team is

Fulton
Guptil
Ryder
Hay
Taylor
McCullum
Oram
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Bond

As for my Test team, ive found Flynn and Ryder an awesome 3/4 combo, theyve got those spots locked in. Fulton has acouple of decent innings but nothing to right home about, I find Taylor scores 50+ innings when istart him at one def for awhile. my team is

Fulton / Guptil (Only just started using Guptil, Aves 32)
McCullum (Scored afew big 100's opening)
Flynn
Ryder
Taylor
Hay
Oram
Franklin
Vettori
Bond
O'Brien

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to ask though, is that on easy or normal?
It's either easy, or an editor, for sure.
Yeh In my games so far Hughes has been brilliant (as in test average around 60) but thats on normal.
I actually believe the screenshot posted of Hughes is genuine. I received ICC 2009 today and have just been testing the scenarios - Twenty20 World Cup with New Zealand wasn't a massive success - but my other scenario, the 2009 Ashes with me playing as Australia, produced some interesting feats, not least Hughes. He scored 360 in the fourth test after we followed on, after two other centuries in the first and third tests of the series. He averages 109 going into the final test, so given that the English bowling attack was reasonable, I can see how someone could've produced an average in the 90s over his career with some of the other sides like Zimbabwe, West Indies, New Zealand and Bangladesh likely to gift him easy runs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anybody for a decent starting XI with NZ? and any tips for OD bowling/batting, I always get smashed and when i chase i get mowed down for like 150-200 runs... I change the bowling lenghts but it doesnt seem to help, same happens in t20, i collapse like the real NZ team, it's rather pathetic :dry:
I've played with New Zealand a lot on previous versions and I find that if we don't take wickets early on it can very difficult to defend targets, no matter how large it is. For a while I used the strategy of bowling first irrespective of the pitch, attacking early for early wickets and then defending as much as possible for the next 30 or so overs, hoping the opposition would make their own mistakes. Like in real life, sometimes it works and sometimes the match is as good as over when you need to chase 250-300 with a somewhat average batting lineup. Twenty20 matches with the New Zealand side on recent versions have been disasterous for me, though the same applies in terms of wickets being the key to victory.

Insomnia_Nz

Cricket Spectator
When i played Aus, he scored three 200's in a row, the game he didnt score 200 i think he scored lke 100. I got smased in that series.

Insomnia_Nz

Cricket Spectator
I actually believe the screenshot posted of Hughes is genuine. I received ICC 2009 today and have just been testing the scenarios - Twenty20 World Cup with New Zealand wasn't a massive success - but my other scenario, the 2009 Ashes with me playing as Australia, produced some interesting feats, not least Hughes. He scored 360 in the fourth test after we followed on, after two other centuries in the first and third tests of the series. He averages 109 going into the final test, so given that the English bowling attack was reasonable, I can see how someone could've produced an average in the 90s over his career with some of the other sides like Zimbabwe, West Indies, New Zealand and Bangladesh likely to gift him easy runs.
I've started playing with Aus, and in the first series i've played, VS England. Hughes got 398(Vs MCC, Which kinda doesnt count...) 76 & 122 in the first test, 35 & 369 in the second test. still got three tests togo but his screenshot could be genuine, my games on normal aswell

pskov

International 12th Man
Just won all four trophies as Surrey in 2012. It's the first time I've ever done the quadruple on any version of ICC, which is odd because I feel that I've had a couple of better sides than this one on previous versions but that's just the way it goes I guess. It probably helped that I didn't have any significant international call-ups (just Yuvraj in the IPL and Moon for one ODI series at the start of the season).

Attachments

Flem274*

123/5
For the NZ woes, I found it pretty easy to get a decent side together. The only variable in the side below is Sinclair, because in one of my games he's awful and in another he's freaking Godlike. But this team works in ICC 06 at least:

Peter Fulton
Mathew Horne/Martin Guptill/I had to wait for a good regen
Stephen Fleming
Mathew Sinclair/Peter Ingram/Tim Lythe/Ross Taylor (all three are very good)
Jesse Ryder
Jacob Oram
Brendan McCullum/Mathew Sinclair
James Franklin
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Kyle Mills/Tuffey/Gillespie/regen

All those batsmen averaged in the 40s, with Fulton in the 60s for most of his career. All of those bowlers have averaged in the 20s in at least one of my two games.