• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Picking Captains...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Does anyone have any particular strategy for selecting a captain? I usually opt for a senior player who is good enough to remain in the side through decent enough performances but is not one of the star players....

And another thing....does who select as captain have any really impact on the outcome of matches etc...? I was always under the impression that it was a pretty frivolous feature just put in for effect...but recently I've read a few things that suggest otherwise..

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Always thought it was mainly for show. I usually pick the player with most games played.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as I'm concerned it has no effect - I like to keep things realistic so give it who I'd consider the best candidate, but I don't think selecting a new comer as captain would make a difference - at least I don't think it would.

but recently I've read a few things that suggest otherwise..
Do explain. :)

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
I'll always pick a senior batsman as my captain, though not neccessarily the best one. I think the succession in my England game went Vaughan - Strauss - Pietersen - Cook - Whitehead - Mitchell.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
i usually pick the actual current captain....firstly.....but then the most experienced...
I think it does make a difference some times.....e.g. I had chosen Ian Bell as standing captain for Vaughan..for a 3 test match series against Sri Lanka....and lost badly by 0-3
.......but when vaughan came back .....my team was again back to a golden form....and won
the ashes 4-0

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Do explain. :)
Well, was just trawling through a forum similar to this one the other day basically, and a lot of the posters there were under the impression that your team will generally perform better if you have selected an appropriate captain. Had never stopped to give it a second thought before....but just made me think about it a bit.

bryce

International Regular
Fairly certain it only makes a psychological difference, like when you've lost the game "****, why didn't I make him captain!"

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the start I usually pick the actual captain in the game.
Then I go to other guys
So, in ICC 2005, it would go Ponting-Clarke-regen-regen-etc.