• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VC4 problem

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was hoping someone could help me. Ignoring any statistical or selection errors, can anyone give me a reason why this team of players won't load correctly? I know its not in a proper VC4 file at the mo, that isn't the problem. Have read through it loads of times and can't find any problems.

Cheers.

Attachments

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see anything wrong in the input, maybe the names are too long. The database only takes like 22 charaters.

TambourineMan

Cricket Spectator
I downloaded VC4 yesterday for the first time in 18 months and have just updated all the stats. :blink:

The problem is Mohammad Ashraful his name is one letter too long, I have him as M Ashraful.

I've only just noticed after four/five years of on and off playing the ease at which teams can chase down 450 in the 4th innings to win.

Sri Lanka just chased 589 to prove my point.

Attachments

Last edited:

TambourineMan

Cricket Spectator
If you use the ODI file for Twenty20's you might get some bizarre scorecards especially involving Sri Lanka.

Look at these:

1)NZ all out for 26
2)SL collapse from 46/3 to 46ao, Jimmy Anderson does a 'Malinga'
3)SL all out for 33 against Bangladesh
4)SL all out for 37 chasing 48
5)SA all out for 67 chasing 68 having been 61/4

Attachments

Last edited:

TambourineMan

Cricket Spectator
I used the new statsguru on cricinfo to create some 'eras' team:
1877-1895 - Grace's XI
1896-1914 - Trumper's XI
1920-1939 - Bradman's XI
1946-1967 - Sobers XI
1968-1988 - Hadlee's XI
1989-2008 - Murali's XI

I used the stats from the eras so in the 20-39 team Bradman's average is 97.94 and not his career average. I also selected players based on performance in the era so players who split eras like Boon or Gooch failed to make any team.

Attachments

merk

Cricket Spectator
I would like to thank everyone for the updated rosters, they will come in useful - thank you all very much hopefully it will keep coming - has anyone sorted out how to set up a twenty20 database?

TambourineMan

Cricket Spectator
has anyone sorted out how to set up a twenty20 database?
I’ve experimented with some T20 data for Australia and England and the trial was unsuccessful.

In the first match England chasing a meagre 59 to win collapsed from 24/3 to 24 all out, Bracken recording figures of 2-1-5-7. In the second match England again were chasing 59 and were dismissed for 29, Johnson recording figures of 1.2-1-0-6. In the third match England batted first and were skittled out for 12, only two players scoring, Johnson continued his extraordinary form with 1-1-0-5. In the fourth match England scored 25 and in the fifth they totalled 17, recovering from 0/5 thanks to 13 from Collingwood. I began a second series and England scores were 1, 4, 2, 23 and 0 (from 10 deliveries).

So it is my conclusion that the system can’t handle the Twenty20 data, players with strike rates of less than 20 (Johnson and Bracken) become absolutely unplayable. If you do want to simulate T20s and get realistic scores then using ODI data is better although as I stated earlier in this thread you still might get a few bizarre scores.

merk

Cricket Spectator
thanks would be good if we found a way to sort this out. would be good to have a db for test match, one day and twenty20