• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shareware games

hanifv

Cricket Spectator
can somebody clear some of my doubts about shareware games.

1) do people really go out and buy any

2) if i make a shareware game, which needs code to make it fully fuctional, then i will send the code, when someone sends me the money. then how does the person send me the money.

3) if i make a cricket shareware game, what will be app. the best price for it(so that people buy it)

i have other questions too. but if somebody cud answer these first

thanks

yaju

State Vice-Captain
Sharewares don't work well in India.

Or you keep it shareware. After a good response make it freeware like Winamp.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yea shareware isint that great , cause most shareware games made arent that good and ppl ask outrageous prices for it

CricketGames.com

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lord of Darknes - Shareware is the ultimate cheap software! If you don't like it you don't pay for it! In 99% of cases Shareware is cheaper than commercial alternatives.The other 1% are probably cases where no commercial alternative exists.

Yaju - Winamp is now shareware again. Only v3 which was panned and later v2 release were Freeware. Shareware in India doesn't work very well due to currency differences and the fact very few Indian credit cards are accepted on-line for whatever reason. I have had very few orders from India from what should be a major market.

Hanifv - I will answer your questions.

1) Definitely - if the program is worth it people do buy it.

2) You have a variety of ways of taking money - get people to send it you as cash/check, use PayPal or use an on-line company like ShareIt (who I use) set up to take credit card orders on your behalf.

3) There is no simple answer to what is the best price. You have to look at your cricket game then look at the other shareware and commercial alternatives. Objectionally rank your game against all those and then you should get a suitable price. Better still get an independant person to do this for you.

Releasing a game as Shareware there is no guarantee anyone will buy it. It has to be properly marketed and takes a lot of work. People expect a much personal service from Shareware authors (as it often is just 1 person). But the right product can do very well. International Test Cricket which I wrote has had over 1,500 registrations and continues to get them on a fairly regular basis.

Daniel.

Oli Norwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In my opinion you can't go wrong with sharware. The vast majority of shareware games give you an almost fully functional 'demo' version to play first, if you like it you buy the full version, if you don't then delete it.

This has to be farer than commercial games, many of which don't come with a demo (Sim City 4 for example). You literally buy a game based on the marketing hype and then hope you like it. With shareware you always get to try before you buy.

As for shareware cricket games, ITC is the best and is definitely worth buying.

James

Cricket Web Owner
ITC = International Test Cricket.

Dan Thomas' Cricket Game and a superb one at that I must say :)

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Oli Norwell said:
In my opinion you can't go wrong with sharware. The vast majority of shareware games give you an almost fully functional 'demo' version to play first, if you like it you buy the full version, if you don't then delete it.
Yes Oli, but then again you're only a waterboy ;)