• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plug And Play Cricket Game

JennifARGH

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/plug_and_play_cricket.php

Playing cricket with a joypad is a bit like playing tennis with an egg whisk. Radica has created Plug 'n' Play cricket an excruciatingly addictive plug 'n' play video game that allows you to swing and bowl your way to glory instead of a normal controller you can control the on-screen action with a realistic bat and ball. When it comes to batting, ultra-responsive motion sensors in the base console react to the timing and force of your swing. Simply stand a few feet away from the base unit and 'wallop' the ball. The ball is even more ingenious as you have to use a proper bowling movement (without letting go) to hurl the on-screen ball towards the batsmen. The degree of welly you use determines the speed of the ball, and the length of the throw is determined by a power bar that rises as your on-screen bowler runs up to the crease. But get this: the motion-sensitive ball also features a built-in directional pad and three buttons that determine spin and seam.

I play DDR, and even I think this is dorky.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, I love cricket games but that's just a bit...efforty.

Seems a bit awkward to me.

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
Getting this for Christmas, looks good atleast it better than sitting they're with a joypad all day long, atleast you get involved more.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cameron-Moss said:
Getting this for Christmas, looks good atleast it better than sitting they're with a joypad all day long, atleast you get involved more.
Save your money.

This was Cricinfo's condescending and hilarious review. I'm not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed that Firebox didn't bother sending us a review copy...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Save your money.

This was Cricinfo's condescending and hilarious review. I'm not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed that Firebox didn't bother sending us a review copy...

certainly doesn't sound worth the 10 pounds - let alone 40.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Save your money.

Damn, a real shame, I've been looking forward to a concept like this, shame its so rubbish.

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
Langeveldt said:
Damn, a real shame, I've been looking forward to a concept like this, shame its so rubbish.
It's a start and I've been saying for a while that this is the future of sports gaming. Just going to take a while to get it right.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
barmyarmy said:
It's a start and I've been saying for a while that this is the future of sports gaming. Just going to take a while to get it right.
Colin, do you ever post outside of the gaming forums here? :p

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just in case anyone was questioning the neutrality of the article. I would like to add I played this game for 2 hours and returned it after scoring a total of one run and being bored with tedium.

I have to agree though, it is a start.

How it should be improved

Better sensors is a must since I stuggle to have my shot register.
Better interpretation of shots.
Replays at different camera views
Heavier bat (doesn't have to be bigger)
Better instuction manual!

Last edited: