• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Lara International Cricket 2007

Matt79

Global Moderator
Just went and bought it anyway! :D I'll post my INFORMED (for a change) opinions once I've had a go...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hmmm... just finished first go at it. England def Aust (me) 2-102 to 3-100 on Test.

Barker (Bracken) bowled well to get 2-25, while Witsen (Watto) got tonked all over by Vorner.

First impressions:
Good:
Graphics are a marked improvement.
AI has been improved - I most particularly noticed that the batsmen will now take quick singles etc, which makes playing the CPU a good deal more challenging, and in a better variety of shots - ie. its not always just a flick down to fine leg anymore.
Its much easier to penetrate gaps in field with ground strokes.
Bowler's speeds seem both more accurate and more consistent - no more variations of 60kph from one ball to the next, apart from some deliberate slower balls.
The speed with which things happen is faster, makes for a more intensive experience - whether this will limit your desire to sit there for 6 hours playing like I would with 2005 remains to be seen.
You can now have different preset fields to each batsman - hallelujah!!
Custom player creation: first stop Shane Warne, then Curtley Ambrose.

Same:
Bowling seems completely unchanged - admittedly this is only a first impression - more exploration might yield more results.

Bad:
FIELDING - the major flaw in the game for me so far. The new system has potential in theory, but the reality is that the "reflex" bar is SO fast that its just impossible - the CPU seems to find it so as well. I couldn't take any of the 5 catch chances I produced - and the computer only managed to take 3 out of at least 7 I gave. The returns always are terrible because its nigh impossible to get the timing of the throw bar correct, making what should be close singles easy - again the CPU seemed equally afflicted, despite being set to "Test". Very disappointing as, as mentioned, in theory it sounds great. The bar just needs to appear earlier and move slower to give those of us not on speed some chance!
Lack of options to adjust - three sets of control, but no option to customise controls. I wanted to reverse the split of functions between the L and R triggers and the L and R buttons, but can't do so without rearranging the whole control set. Apparently on PC you can turn aids like the bowling reticle and batting radar on or off, but I can't find how to do so on the Xbox version.
Still some AI issues - why is it that hard to program a realistic system to regulate the bowling order? Something generic like "start with the two best seamers, third best seamer is first change, then best spinner, then best bowler left". It might be a bit rigid and not capture all the subtleties, but it would make more sense than Monty opening the bowling for England.
Lack of challenge/classic matches - bit of a bummer, it gave you something extra to do besides play the WC, CT or demo matches.
Lack of classic players - I want my all time team from RPIC 2005 back! (Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Hammond, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Warne, Akram, Marshall btw)
Can't edit the names - this time they've been more "imaginative" with some of the alternative names, to the point where you can only guess who its meant to be by process of elimination.

Overall - so far I'm happy, I'm hoping the fielding will get easier with practice (any rate of success above 0% at it would give me some encouragement). An improvement over RPIC 2005 on first inspection, although not as great as you'd hope, and perhaps not quite worth $110 if you still have your old Xbox handy with RPIC 2005 loaded up.

Last edited:

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would like to buy BLIC 2007 for PC. However, I have read your review, Neil, and other reviews in other site: none of them was positive. The game is OK, but nothing special. So, I am thinking about buying BLIC 2005, which is much cheaper than BLIC 2007. Is it worth to buy the BLIC 2007, which is much more expensive? Or is it better to buy BLIC 2005?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would like to buy BLIC 2007 for PC. However, I have read your review, Neil, and other reviews in other site: none of them was positive. The game is OK, but nothing special. So, I am thinking about buying BLIC 2005, which is much cheaper than BLIC 2007. Is it worth to buy the BLIC 2007, which is much more expensive? Or is it better to buy BLIC 2005?
I'd buy 2005. It's cheap as chips, and there's a myriad of patches and add-ons available for it online already.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Got it on 360, played it for 5 minutes and am now taking it back to get my money back...

What a trash game...

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm warming to it, but I might be in the apparently all-to-brief period between getting somewhat to grips with the fielding thing, and getting completely bored by the lack of challenging AI.

Wish I had Xbox Live - if the online multiplayer thing works well, it will redeem a lot of the problems for those people who are online.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tough but fair I'd say. Why did sweet potato give you the runs?
It actually made most of us vomit, and probably cause we OD'd on the novelty of being allowed to eat in class and gorged on far too much of it, far too quickly.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got it on 360, played it for 5 minutes and am now taking it back to get my money back...

What a trash game...
LOL, i was gonna get it today too, not definitely not going to bother now...

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Fellas, do you really want to know the secret to having fun playing BLC 2007?
Play it with mates. Its so simple, but it works so well. Dirty tricks, hasty running, sledging, pitch-doctoring (dont turn your back for a second!)... one-on-one makes the entire game worthwhile.

Majin

International Debutant
Got the PS2 version today, pretty much echoing the thoughts of others but, I'm having problems with the bowling speeds again. "S. Akhti" bowls at a max speed of 83mph, and is classified as Fast, and the Fast Medium bowlers are all bowling (slightly) faster than him.