• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC 06 V Cricket Coach

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
I feel the need to get both but if I do my college probably won't see me again till next september so I will restrict myself to one.

Peoples thoughts on which is the better game? I've played the demo versions of both, loving the champ style of Cricket coach but I've experienced and heard of quite an awful amount of bugs.

ICC 06 seems like the old versions but with knobs on, still a fairly solid game, loved 2002 when spinners roamed the world destroying batting lineups for fun.

So is Cricket coach worth the gamble or is it better to stick with the updated old faithful?

Cheers.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
1.0 till 1.02 were terrible. 1.05 is very good, and makes cricket coach VERY enjoyable.
i'd go for the gamble mate!

cpr

International Coach
Personally for me, i find ICC more enjoyable still.

It doesnt have the in depth stats that Cricket Coach does, but i find its simplicity charming. You can tweak if you need, but you can live without. I personally found Cricket Coach's scoring a bit off. It'd take me 2 days to hit 300 in a first class game, and impossible to get a strike rate above 4 in one dayers, also found tail enders were very quick to dissapear (would lose 3 in 4 balls on a number of occasions). Added to that there is little feedback as to the long term playability of cricket coach, if it has any trends such as the spinner trend in ICC

Cricket coach is a good gamble so long as your prepared to
A) spend a lot of time and effort re-evaluating how to approach a cricket sim, and work out winning formula's
B) accept that the engine isnt as fine tuned as ICC and may still throw up a few annoyances

If your willing to overcome those, then go for Cricket Coach, as it looks to offer far more than ICC does. But if you want something you're comfortable with, then ICC 2006 does look a good game (even more so if you didnt get 2005, its a vast improvement between 2002 and 2006)

Hope that helps

Timewell

U19 Debutant
cpr said:
It'd take me 2 days to hit 300 in a first class game, and impossible to get a strike rate above 4 in one dayers, also found tail enders were very quick to dissapear (would lose 3 in 4 balls on a number of occasions). Added to that there is little feedback as to the long term playability of cricket coach, if it has any trends such as the spinner trend in ICC.
It may seem like I'm just contradicting you for the sake of it or because I'm 'biased' but, be assured, it is not for either of these reasons. I have found that scoring on Cricket Coach is a lot easier in v1.05 and on a couple of occasions, I have made 400 in the first day. With Warwickshire, I am able to score at (about) 100 a session. However, one day cricket is much harder - it is harder to keep up with the run rate and it is harder to score well when batting first. But, I have no doubt, that this is down to my tactics. Cricket Coach is a game that requires its user to think tactics - bowling changes, batting aggression (and more in the future).

B) accept that the engine isnt as fine tuned as ICC and may still throw up a few annoyances
And ICC doesn't?! I've heard of numerous faults with the data. Cricket Coach's engine is improving with each version - as is the accuracy of the data, though that is not to say that data improvement has finished - this is far from the case and it is an ongoing process.

But, I understand that it is YOUR opinion - I can't do anything about that but I (and others) can help to improve Cricket Coach. Is that possible with ICC?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Timewell said:
However, one day cricket is much harder - it is harder to keep up with the run rate and it is harder to score well when batting first. But, I have no doubt, that this is down to my tactics.
Which is all well and good but surely the computer sides and also the many other managers who've experienced this suggests it might not be that simple a solution?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
I don't know really but i find ICC 06 a lot easier to play really, often wickets in cricket coach seem to fall for no real reason, i remember putting people in defensive mode after losing a few quick wickets and the wickets kept falling and i was out for 24 and i couldn't figure out why especially after they scored 600 in a day.

At least in ICC it's always much easier to figure out why.

Plus i always like the Historical games.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
Which is all well and good but surely the computer sides and also the many other managers who've experienced this suggests it might not be that simple a solution?
Well...I agree that perhaps the One Day engine needs tweaking but the variety in the experiences also leads me to believe that tactics are at fault somewhere.