• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martyn Gidley - 50 Years Young

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Started back on ICC 2005 for the first time in a while. I'm picking my team for the first test against New Zealand. As usual i'm picking on second team averages, then i discover this guy called Martyne Gidley, plays for Grinqualand West and is 50 years old, he's eligible for England so i thought, why not pick him and see how he goes. This will be his story.

Attachments

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
First days test cricket and England lost the toss and went in to the field. Like all debutants Gidley did his fair share of work at short leg. No catches, but he provided the crowd with some entertainment chasing a couple to the midwicket boundary. Late in the day, with the seamers being less than effective, he was called upon to bowl some of his off-spin, with a tight spell of 14-5-28-0 providing good support for the other spinner John Coates who took 6-84 as NZ made 275 all out.

Gidley had his pads on from the start, scheduled to come in at number 3, as he refused to entertain the offer of a night watchman. In the event, England closed on 10-0 and the expectant crowd would have to wait for day 2 to see the great man at the crease.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Gidley had to wait a while in the morning, Mutch and O'toole taking their partnership to 52 for the first wicket and seeing off opening pair Wales and Plummer. Then the bowling change did the trick for the Kiwi's. Dickens got one to spit off the pitch 3rd ball, and O'Toole could only fend to second slip for 20.

The crowd rose as the old man of English cricket walked to the crease.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Gidley nervously pushed his first ball out to short cover, then drove more confidently down to wide mid on for a single off his second ball. He was away in international cricket.

Next over saw a sumptous cover drive for 4, and the rest of the over was played with an assurance the betrayed his experience. Ken English came on and immediately troubled Gidley, beating him for pace but missing the stumps, then having a confident lbw appeal turned down by the umpire. Gidley survived the over.

His partner didn't survive the next, Dickens getting another wicket with Mutch lbw for 36, to a ball that looked to be slipping down. Jasper Hobbs came to the crease and immediately set about the bowling, 3 consecutive balls whisked to the ropes.

Unfortunately his partners attacking flair seemed to unsettle Gidley and the old man flashed at an inswinging delivery from Dickens in the 26 over and got a faint inside edge, Aston made no mistake behind the stumps and Gidley trudged back to the pavilion for just 11.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Gildey's replacement, Nat Seaman(75) combined with veteran wickie Adam Knott to add 80 for the 5th wicket and Knott was last man out for 52. England conceded a 1st innings lead of 3.

Amid showers New Zealand progressed to 106-1 and were looking comfortable. Mitch Cardew produced a brilliant spell in the middle though, and with Dickens retired hurt New Zealand subsided to 244 all out. Gidley bowled a few tidy overs before the new ball, 3-2-1-0.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
England progressed to 35 before a bowling change worked again, this time English on first change dismissed O'toole, again for 20, with his first ball.

Gidley walked to the crease and confidently defended his first ball. Unfortunately his second struck him on the front pad and the umpires finger was raised, a huge inside edge going unseen.

English went on to get a third wicket in the over, Hobbs getting a second ball duck. At 35-3 NZ were on top, but Mutch and Seaman added 143 for the 4th wicket to take the game away from them. Seaman was out for 70 but Mutch went on to 110 before being 5th out at 212. Knott and Hurst finished the job for a 5 wicket victory.

Despite his lack of runs, Gidley participated in a good win and the selectors have confirmed he will keep his place for the second test, though he may bat at 4

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
superkingdave said:
Started back on ICC 2005 for the first time in a while. I'm picking my team for the first test against New Zealand. As usual i'm picking on second team averages, then i discover this guy called Martyne Gidley, plays for Grinqualand West and is 50 years old, he's eligible for England so i thought, why not pick him and see how he goes. This will be his story.
Woah, not a bad idea for a story mate.

darko21

U19 Debutant
I had the opportunity to pick up two 18 year olds who are extraordinary.
Xavier Selvey -drafted 2047 - batsman
- ave. 123 in second XI
- Scored 179 in first class debut; Scored 102* in one day debut
- played for England after only 10 first class matches. Scofred 44 in debut.
- 3 years with Somerset with average of 62.43
Bryon Carr - drafted 2047 - bowler
- ave 13 with the ball
- shaky start to career with veteran bowlers not retiring.
- debuted for England in 2048
- almost 300 FC wickets after 3 years averaging 21

Both are now England contracted players. I think second team performance has a lot to do with talent.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
crickhowell said:
Does selecting from second XI averages work well? I never thought of it as selection tool at that level.
yep, not so much with bowlers but batsman who, if they played for your county side would average over 50 in FC often average less than 30 for computer controlled sides. So 2nd XI averages provide a better indication of ability

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Gidley earned his second test cap in the concluding test against New Zealand. England won the toss and sent the Kiwi's into bat on a cloudy morning. Unfortunately things didn't go to plan early doors and New Zealand cruised to lunch without losing a wicket. Both openers progressed to 50 before Cardew and Coates struck in quick succession to leave them 119-2. The Birt took over, his 143 involving decent partnerships with Jagger, Burley and English. Gidley was called upon to bowl 21 overs to give the main 4 a rest, he went wicketless but was otherwise tidy, conceding 55. Coates was the most succesful England bowler taking 4-119 though dropped catches cost him better figures. NZ posted a daunting 463

Mutch and O'toole got a decent start and Seaman looked in good nick, but Gidley came to the crease at 97-2. He hit 2 terrific straight drives before the curse of 13 struck and he edged to second slip. Hobbs hit 77 and wicketkeeper Knott scored a career best 150* to take England to 420all out.

England's bolwers performed much better second time around, Barwick and Coates took four each. NZ made 250, Gidley bowled 10-2-13-0.

Sadly disaster struck in England's innings, Gidley was lbw for 5 to Wales whilst the rest of England's lineup fell away for 158 in the chase.

NZ levelled the series

Gidley's career so far, 29runs@7.25, 48 overs, 0 for 97