• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League 2

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has anyone got this game yet?

I pre-ordered it a few months back and got my free Broncos controller with it. :D

I've been addicted to this game since I got it on Thursday, the game is a lot more realistic than the previous one (which wasn't the worst first installment ever). I'm yet to play a full 80 minute game to see if the scores are realistic, but what I've played so far I've like A LOT! The new franchise mode is interesting.

Blaze

Banned
I have it. It's alright. Defence is a bit suspect and some things are too easy to exploit on attack but overall it is a big improvement from the first one.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
sounds good, didn't even know it was out yet, will have to take a little drive out and go buy it as soon as i get the chance :)

Blaze

Banned
Grabbed from the official forum, this is a pretty fair review IMO.

In my honest opinion, and I'm not bias toward or against sidhe, this game has not lived up to my expectations. My expectations weren't all that high after the first game, but still, im not happy with it after playing it for 3 days. I wanted to like the game, and i've tried to like it, but i'm finding little niggly bugs or flaws that spoil it too often for my liking.

Before i start i'll state that i'm not a fanboy, but i'm not here to put sidhe down either. I'm just a huge rugby league fan, bought both rl1 and rl2, but not a hardcore gamer. I bought rl2 on ps2.

Overall, its improved on RL1 in some areas, but gone backwards in others. I'm finding its more of a sim than arcade, unlike rl1. So its not as fun i dont think, but it is more realistic. Graphics are good, but gameplay is not very smooth, and is let down by lots of little things.

I'll start by listing some of the good things about the game:
- very deep franchise mode; plenty of attention to detail here
- player likenesses are very impressive
- overall graphics a huge improvement on the first game
- players are most of the time placed in their correct positions, although i'm still sometimes finding front-rowers on the wing
- scrum defense improved
- a bit easier to tackle
- more realistic player speeds (i.e. webcke cant outrun slater anymore)
- dummy half running a lot better

OK, now the bad:
- Camera angles/player size: i haven't been able to find a decent camera angle. Behind close is way too close, high and behind are both too far away, and the rest are just not practical. Or maybe its just the players are all too small for the field, but its just really hard to see whats going on.
- Sideline awareness: still haven't fixed this up from rl1. Players still just grab the ball near the sideline and can't help but run out.
- lack of mobility of players: they have the turning circle of a truck... and theyre on skates. This is especially bad for defending, as sometimes an oppostion player will run straight past while a human player is halfway through turning around.
- On-line defence: Its still pretty woeful, whether its computer or human. Its not that they cant tackle close to the line, but theres just huge gaps either side of the play-the-ball, instead of the defenders being bunched up near the play-the-ball and spread out wide of the ruck, like in real footy.
- Dummy-half tries: Sooo many dummy half tries. Its almost unstoppable if the computer decides to scoot when he's within 3-4 metres of the line... And its too easy for us to score from dummy half as well. These sort of tries replace the scrum tries in rl1, they cant really be stopped. I havent played online yet, but im sure people are exploiting this.
- Passing: The new advanced passing system looked promising, but in the game i think its quite disappointing. Every time i try to cut out a player or two, i throw a pathetic pass that ends up rolling around on the ground. And then the nearest player doesn't pick it up unless you select him and press triangle to dive on the ball. So now i've given up throwing long balls, i've reverted back to normal passing which is much more effective.
- Kicking: This has not been changed at all from rugby league 1, in fact its worse IMO. Sometimes, and this happens at least once every game, when my kicker receives the ball he is facing either backwards or straight at the touchline, making it impossible to kick it anywhere but out on the full. And its still annoying how theres a locked range for the direction of your kicks, why shouldn't you be able to aim your kick more than the limited angle given?Bombs are useless once again, it would be good if you could change the trajectory of these.
- Cutscenes/cinematics: I turned these off after one game. They just dont make sense, like why would the camera focus on josh hannay staight after carl webb has been sent off for a high tackle? how often in rugby league do you actually see a "team talk"?
- Lack of referee: i know people say this is a minor thing, but it is quite wierd having the ref's voice but not seeing him at all, especially when scoring a try, or seeing someone get sent off, or going to the video ref... we usually look to the referee to confirm these things.
- Commentary: its good that they changed the commentary, but vossy has less of an idea of whats happening than in the first game: e.g. handover on the 6th tackle... vossy says "he's put it out on the full, i've seen better kicks from a mule"

Well thats about all i can think of for the moment. Despite all these flaws, the game is still playable, and its a lot better than many other sports games i've played recently, and i will still play it simply because its a rugby league game. But i'm just expressing my disappointment, because this game could have been so so much better if a few issues had been fixed up, as it certainly has the foundations of a great game. I know i'm gonna get a few people saying "ur a goose, dis game rockz" but remember this is just my opinion, and i'm sure deep down, there are people who are disappointed like me.

Mister Wright

He's got some very valid points there, especially about how easy it is to score from dummy-half, however I think he's wrong about the passing and kicking, I think they are much improved from the first game.

Blaze

Banned
Mister Wright said:
He's got some very valid points there, especially about how easy it is to score from dummy-half, however I think he's wrong about the passing and kicking, I think they are much improved from the first game.

I think he is right about the passing but wrong about the kicking. I find that grubbers are very effective in Rugby League 2. Can get repeat sets quite easily. Bombs are still useless.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't have this game yet but most of the flaws are identicle from the first game. Even with these many errors I still enjoy the game as you can consistentl get closely fought games and I can usually come out the winner on "League God" mode. Yeah it's frustrating when you conceed tries because your pivot has passed the ball straight through about 4 players and onto the ground behind them where the opposition picks it up and scores or if you kick a goal and for some reason it doesn't give you the points.

I don't have a big problem with online defense. Usually they should be able to score from close range and occasionally I can keep a side out for the whole 6 tackles when they're inside the ten so it really isn't that bad. Too bad about the scrum defense changing. I found that putting my quickest player at halfback was the best way to get cheap tries.

Even so I still love the first game and will definitely get this one with the updated rosters, full franchise mode and online play. I'll need to drop a hint for my folks to get it for Christmas. I don't think they've bought me anything yet.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I have the original and was severely disappointed. Is it that much of an improvement or just another version to make more money?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its pretty good imo..
good points
better dummy half running
easier to defend
better graphics, particuarly realistic body movements when goalkicking
player positions actualy make a difference
being able to change a players position in-game without having to make 5 subs to do it
less send offs and sin bins

bad points
too hard to kick too often
under rated players, civoniceva being worse than stu kelly, i dont think so...
too many dummy half tries, i beat my brother 76-6 as melbourne and Cameron Smith scored 7 tries
goalkicking too easy, i think ive kicked about 98% so far
the rl2 logo coming up every 5 seconds...

overall its better than the first, but im slightly disapointed it hasnt improved more..

Mister Wright

I actually think it is a marked improvement on RL1. I found it much harder to kick (in play) in that, then I do in RL2. In RL1 the defence came up too quickly, and the ball usually didn't go to the kicker you wanted anyway. In RL2 I have found it much easier to kick in play.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
i actually find the goal kicking quite hard especially from the sideline.

The game has its + and its - but overall my ratting out of 100: 88/100

Its a great game and a huge improvement

Mister Wright

I love this game! I've been playing francise mode and the Broncos just won their 3rd premiership in a row. What a way to send Webke out! :D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I also urge all of you that have the game to join the official forum. It could really use some people that can actually post - the quality of some of the posting is abysmal to say the least.

Blaze

Banned
Prince EWS said:
I also urge all of you that have the game to join the official forum. It could really use some people that can actually post - the quality of some of the posting is abysmal to say the least.

The official forum is not great is it? I don't bother anymore.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Blaze said:
The official forum is not great is it? I don't bother anymore.
It is comprised mainly of:

a) Everyone posting their own person review in a brand new thread, thinking its important enough to do so
b) Pointless internet rap battles - they took over so much that the admins made a rap sub-forum!
c) People who think the forum is their own personal chat room, and they can bump any thread, say anything they want etc. Some threads actually become a full on chat room, with replies such as "g2g cya tmoz" and "ok cya then", while other threads are specifically designed to be soap operas. For example, one was titled "dr jay why was i banned from ur forum". And dont even think of trying to say something to these people - they'll just laugh at you and say something like "who cares" or "get a life its just a forum".
d) Whinging accusations. Online play has caused many threads such as "bruce is a pauser", "dont play highlow", "laggers" etc etc.

Really, the forum is in horrible shape, but thats why I want people to join! If some decent posters join, the overall level of posting will increase.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
the quality of some of the posting is abysmal to say the least.
No problem, give them a few net sessions, they'll be at mediocre by the end of the season.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
- Commentary: its good that they changed the commentary, but vossy has less of an idea of whats happening than in the first game: e.g. handover on the 6th tackle... vossy says "he's put it out on the full, i've seen better kicks from a mule"
Am I the only one who finds "the visitors are proving hard to toss" funny?