• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The view from the middle of the bottom: A Sussex ICC 2000 story

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
In a shock move, Eccles has been summoned to appear before the ECB to discuss comments attributed to him in a recent newspaper article.

The ECB are concerned that there could be limited opportunities for England born players to press for international honours if Eccles recruits the number Kolplak players as has been reported.

Eccles’s only comment after the meeting was “no comment”

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Or what I might have said is "Eccles read a prepared statement, but due to the graphic nature of the language used, we are unable to reprint it". :-)

I'm trying to keep the thread going and interest alive even though I am at work and can't play the game until the weekend - seemed the best way.

Still have alot to say and plenty of places I can go with the thread, and knowing me, I'll just keep typing for years....people stop when they either win all the trophies or just get bored with it. Not me. I'll definately buy the new game, but will end up running two threads in parallel (on different PCs) - it'll be interesting to see what the difference in personal and stats are.

Last edited:

sammy22

U19 12th Man
Dodgy if you ever want a decent read check out my "Glamorgan huge challenge ahead" thread. I think you will enjoy it :blink: :happy: :D :cool:

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Was following it - and I must say I was dissappointed that you won the last game, hence you won everything and stopped. I'm going to try and develop some youth players and see whether I can take them all the way through to England and see how Sussex can cope without them.

Well, that is the five to ten year plan for Sussex anyway. I could be here for a while.

Winnig trophies gives me the money to do it - but isn't my goal... for this thread anyway! :-)

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eccles this morning made a brief statement to the media.

"Before the Sussex CC releases, re-signs or approaches any cricketer off contract, the ECB are to be informed before contract negotations can occur.

I have given them a preliminary shortlist of 20 cricketers, excluding overseas players, who we (the Sussex CC) would be [B]interested[/B] in signing and will need to liason with them closely towards the end of the season as we look to build the squad for the 2006 season.

We would just like to add that the Sussex Cricket Club is committed to the continued development of young players and we will be relying on our youth facilities to generate players of a consistant high quality that they will be competing with established names for positions in the starting eleven"

Under Eccles management, one of the first decisions that was made was to increase funding to youth development from GBP 30,000 to GBP 50,000 per annum.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Next game up is Leicestershire, and with a winning team on display against Gloucestershire, Eccles has not made any changes to the team.

From a personal viewpoint, Eccles will just want to get on with the business at hand, after all the media attention. “The guys just want to play cricket” said Eccles just prior to the toss.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sussex have lost the toss and will bowl on a cloudy Leicester day. Leicestershire have included in their line up veteran paceman Phil DeFreitas.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sussex managed to bowl Leicestershire out and restrict them to a total of 213 all out, which was considered a reasonably challenging, total given the conditions. Luke Wright (who ended with 2/40) would have bowled Darren Robinson for 16, when the total was 40, had he not overstepped. Robinson went on to make 86 from 85 balls to lay the platform for the total. Ahmed, whilst he took the wicket of former England player Darren Maddy was again expensive, ending with 1/64 from 9. The offspinner Nash, was also expensive but took three middle order wickets. Kirtley and Martin-Jenkins bowled well at the death.

Attachments

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sussex pip Leicestershire to claim the two points.

Sussex looked to implode in a batting display that will worry coach Eccles. Openers Montgomerie and Ward raced to 34, before Ward attempted to force a ball through gully, feathered an edge to Nixon. The experienced pairing of first Goodwin and then Adams played round balls from the ever improving David Masters.

Montgomerie played around Carl Hopkinson, who looked like he wanted to hit every ball out of the park before he was caught behind from the left armer Willoughby. Martin-Jenkins played a mature innings in support of Montgomerie, but after their departure and Sussex on the ropes at 165/7, things did not look rosy. From 165/7 they slipped further into the mire at 172/8, but a battling 35 ball 38 from promising allrounder Nash and 13 valuable runs from the new ball bowler Wright, Sussex eventually took the win – albeit not convincingly.

Charlie Dagnell (3/52) and David Masters (2/30) were the best of the Leicestershire attack, with Richard Montgomerie again getting the nod for MoM.

Attachments

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Next up - a one dayer against Zimbabwe, hopefully it will bring out the best in former test player and Sussex captain Murray Goodwin, who has been in disappointing form so far this season.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
No changes made to the Sussex eleven, who have lost the toss and have been inserted on a slow seaming pitch. Plan is to make plenty, using the form of Montgomerie and Ward at the top, to give Goodwin some time at the crease and then strangle them with line and length bowling in the second innings from Kirtley, Martin-Jenkins and Wright.

That's the plan anyway....

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Posted 301 all out from 49.5 overs with Nash last man out for 42 from 34 balls working nicely with the tail. All the team made starts, with Goodwin managing 44 from 63 and Adams 58 from 43. Batting objective completed, can the bowlers now contribute to another Sussex win?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sussex run through weak Zimbabwe side.

After piling on in excess of 300 in 50 overs, the Sussex new ball pairing of James Kirtley (3/39 from 9.4) and Luke Wright (2/36 from 10) left Zimbabwe reeling at 22/3. A defiant 48 from Doug Marillier gave Zimbabwe a glimmer of hope. but wickets continued to fall at the opposite end. Robin Martin-Jenkins kept it tight, but once Ahmed had Marillier caught in close by Nash, the game was all but over, Kirtley coming back to tidy up the lower order and Nash bowling two exceptional overs, ending with the wicket of the opposing offspinner, the aggressive and dangerous Prosper Utseya.

Chris Adams was named MOM for the only fifty scored in the game.

Attachments

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Eccles commented after the game "It was fantastic to see the side perform so well against a touring international side. I hope we have turned a corner and will see free flowing stroke play and aggressive bowling from the lads as we look to win trophies and gain promotion into division one"

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Next game is a home Super Cup quarter-final against Derby. Has any of the squad come good in the seconds. Will anyone put their hand up for the troublesome number five batting position? Will Eccles make any changes to the side? Is there any truth to the rumour that Tim Ambrose has signed a deal to play for Warwickshire? Or NSW? Ian Ward is also keeping Mum with speculation mounting he has signed a commentary and TV hosting deal with Sky Sports.

Team sheet to be announced shortly.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
The only other viable option to the incumbent number five, aggressive left hander Mike Yardy, has broken his finger and will be out of action for three weeks. Barring any superb performances in the second team, it looks like Carl Hopkinson will have an extended run in the side.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sussex, who has named an unchanged lineup, has won the toss and will bowl. Derbyshire has omitted Australian allrounder Jon Moss (who is injured), preferring to go with the relative inexperienced spin of Gray and Paget.

Offsetting the weak bowling attack, Spendlove and Bassano are both averaging over 65 in first class cricket this season, and Mike Di Venuto is a classy and destructive player who Sussex must get out early if they are to have any hope of containing this Derbyshire side.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Batting first, Derbyshire made fantastic use of a belter of a wicket. Wright (0/29 from 10) and Kirtley (0/41 from 9) bowled tightly, with Kirtley having two close leg before decisions turned down against Stephen Stubbings. The introduction of Martin-Jenkins usually slows the scoring, but even he was expensive, bowling his ten end on end to finish with 0/54, an effort that he will surely be disappointed with.

The introduction of Ahmed (1/36 from 10) yielded instance results, with Stubbings getting a leading edge from a defensive push back to the bowler. However, if Sussex thought that the wicket was going to peg the scoring rate back, they were mistaken. Enter James Bryant, who proceeded to cart all comers to all parts of the ground. Young Chris Nash, who had Mike Di Venuto dropped close in by Hopkinson when he was on 33, proceeded to be smashed around Hove, finally finishing with the unlucky figures of 0/64 from ten. He just simply had the misfortune to be bowling to players in extremely good form.

Goodwin, who was probably hoping that he hadn’t made an awful mistake by giving Derby the first use of the wicket, bowled the 48th over, hoping that a change of pace might create a chance. With his second ball he deceived Bryant and bowled him, and with his fourth ball, Di Venuto attempted what can only be described as a “dumb run” which left Luke Sutton well short of his ground. Di Venuto ended the innings unbeaten on 104 from 150 balls as Derbyshire were reasonably well placed on 234/3.

Sussex would be thankful that the total was not considerably larger, given the wickets in hand in the last twenty overs. Given the bowling attack at Derbyshire’s disposal they would be confident of knocking the runs off. In Derbyshire’s favour however, they have the runs on the board.

Attachments