• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you do to win one day games?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have been addicted to ICC 2005 for almost a month now and have taken England to 2nd on the Test table but we are going shocking in one dayers. We struggle to win a game. I thought I was finally coming up with a formula to win games before the 2011 World Cup when we finally won the Natwest series against Banlgadesh (who are ahead of us on the table now) and Australia, then we made the finals against Australia and Bangladesh in the VB series, but when we got to the World Cup we only beat Kenya and Canada, made it through to the Super 8 stage without a point and only beat one team (other than Kenya and Canada) all tournament.

What do you do to win one day games?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I usually put my bowlers on no bars (very defensive), though I do bowl with a few bars early in the innings or if the pitch is shocking or it's a crap team.

Batting wise, it really depends whether I am batting first or second, size of the total I am chasing, etc

Mister Wright

burkey_1988 said:
I usually put my bowlers on no bars (very defensive), though I do bowl with a few bars early in the innings or if the pitch is shocking or it's a crap team.

Batting wise, it really depends whether I am batting first or second, size of the total I am chasing, etc
I generally start at 3 bars for batsman, then build it as there innings develops, but as soon as I start going agressive usually a wicket falls and I just can't build partnerships. I've tried starting on agressive, but it just doesn't seem to work consistently.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
I generally start at 3 bars for batsman, then build it as there innings develops, but as soon as I start going agressive usually a wicket falls and I just can't build partnerships. I've tried starting on agressive, but it just doesn't seem to work consistently.
I don't have any set pattern for batsmen, but I will usually start out aggressive but if I lose early wickets I will go a little more defensive.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
If the conditions are great or good for batsman then i go all out slog... and then if i loose some quick ones ill drop it down to normal.. and try and bat out 50 overs if the conditons are bad ill start on 3 bars and work my way up.. always all out attack for the alst 10 overs unless 7 or more wickets down.... as for bowling i start in agressive for both and see how it goes for 2-3 overs if well then drop down one bar to normal and bowl through to 6 overs.. if they are going abd then swap over.. i normally bowl two spinners for about 5-7 overs in the middle of the innings to slow everythnig down and take some wickets then i brin on the 5th bowler and rotate the others through.. allthough this is all only if we are going well.. if not ill brin on a part timer or bring back the openers.

Mister Wright

What is everyone's win ratio like for one dayers at international level? Mine would be about 4%. I don't win that many.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, that is low. I reckon I'd be about 65% with Australia, but that is a rough estimate

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
In general I've found ICC 2005 pretty easy...I usually win 90% or so of the ODIs I play (with a team like England or SAfrica) and about 70% of Tests.

squiz

U19 Debutant
Yup about 80-90% of ODIs, only about 50% of tests, we have awesome bats and no bowlers.

In ODIs I start 3 bars from max when batting

Last edited:

darko21

U19 Debutant
I am about the same winning ratio as Squiz.

In ODIs, I try to bat first and have one batsman on 6 bars and the other on 4. About 70% of the time this works. If you lose both batsman early, the two new batsman should be on 4 bars till their confidence is up. After 15 overs, I increase the agression by one bar. After 30 overs, one more. At 40 overs both batsman should be on at least 6 bars (if they are settled). By 45 overs, just full aggression.
As for bowling, I have one bowler on 3 bars and one on 2 bars. After 10 overs, change the3 bar bowler to bowl to the weaknesses of the batsman. the 2 bar bowler then bowls around the wicket. Don't put a spinner on til 20 overs, if possible. Change the field to the situation at hand eg. go defensive if the batsmen are attacking. Then after 30 overs, try to prevent the runs by any means possible eg. part timers to grab a crucial wicket, change length/line etc.

That's my tactics and usually work for me. But everyone has their own way to win. Just find what works for the team you've got.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Well, for a start, ODIs you want your batsmen in form, Tests you want your bowlers in form. So give all of the training to the batsmen in the leadup to your ODIs.

In the game I have two methods, and the second one is easier and has actually brought more success.
1) Start on three bars for the first five overs. Four bars until 10 overs. Five until 15. etc etc. This may be toned down if wickets fall, but if there is a nice top-order partnership that leaves you with 2-3 wickets by 30 overs, you should be able to have a decent slog.
2) Start on five bars for the first 30-40 overs (depending on wickets, again). Then slog.

Note: Never go with the full amount of bars of aggression. One bar off gets runs and doesn't get the batsmen out as much. The full amount of bars will bring nothing but wickets, and even if the req. run rate is huge and you have heaps of wickets left, a wicket ball is a dot ball - so trust me, one bar less than full.

EDIT - btw I don't bother with bowling tactics or aggression, too boring, just let them bowl.