• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kolpak players - where are they?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
So far I've played about four seasons with Surrey and not one Kolpak player has turned up on the Available list at the end of the season. I was looking forward to being able to take advantage of this ruling - has anyone else had this happen or am I just being an idiot and missing something?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One thing I haven't seen, is new Kolpak's coming through. I mean, there's the flowers and North (wrongly) and Ervine and several others around at the start, but in 10 years time when those guys have retired, does the game spawn any new Kolpaks? I haven't seen any.

andrew_nixon

Cricket Spectator
This is a good point. Technically every South African and Zimbabwean in the game who hasn't played international cricket should be eligible as a Kolpak player.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
One thing I haven't seen, is new Kolpak's coming through. I mean, there's the flowers and North (wrongly) and Ervine and several others around at the start, but in 10 years time when those guys have retired, does the game spawn any new Kolpaks? I haven't seen any.
In 2009 and none so far - that was another part of my point, I just didn't phrase it right.

dsambr673

Cricket Spectator
I noticed this too in the demo. What's the point of having the Kolpak if you can't use it to sign new players? As Andew rightly pointed out, technically, anyone non-international wanting to move from SA or Zimbabwe should be a Kolpak.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think they have to renounce their international future in order to become a kolpak player.

That can't be easily factored into the game (how do you decide which players do and which don't?)

andrew_nixon

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
I think they have to renounce their international future in order to become a kolpak player.

That can't be easily factored into the game (how do you decide which players do and which don't?)
They do, but if they end up not signed for an English county, they would revert to being eligible for their country.

Which brings me to another thing..... a Kolpak player (or any overseas player for that matter), would become eligible for England after 4 years of county cricket without playing for their contry. Something that could be factored into the game.

As for deciding who becomes a Kolpak player and who doesn't, some code could be added so a player can "decide" if they have an international future in their own country or not.

Pea Roller

Cricket Spectator
Meant to mention there's Jonathon Moss.

And although it says there's a K next to the country name, it doesn't refer to the statistics in the list of available players but in the player profile. So you have to check all the individual profiles of the available players.

darko21

U19 Debutant
I am in season 2015 with Somerset and not one new Kolpak. I think the Kolpak ruling was added because of those players currently in the English Domestic Scene that are not eligible for England can still play. That is probably one of the major flaws in this version.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't see how it can be a flaw - we simply do not know which players will opt to be classified as Kolpaks when regenerated.