• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Players for and against

sammy22

U19 12th Man
Just interested as to the best players people have had both playing for them and of course the players who always seem to give you the most trouble against you.

For me i;ve only playes so far as Lancashire and Stuart Law was very consistient for me. Him and North were probably the pick of players for me so far with the bat. Having let Laws contract expire I wanted a more adventerous batsmen and Michael Hayden has done that scoring runs consistently including 199 in one game.

Against me John Crawley has been easily the most impressive scoring centuries against me in virtually every innings.

In terms of bowling Mulri is quality, but you can;t renew his contract after the initial season. Chapple is hit and miss, so is cork if slightly better but Keedy has done a very good job. Anderson was terrible in the first season then towards the end started playing a bit better. In the last game of the season he took 11 wickets in the match to end with an average of about 25.

This season he is amazing bowling at an average of about 9 per wicket including taking 8 wickets in an innings twice. I don;t know what has changed him :wacko: Also Mcgrath has replaced murli and done a very good job.

I managed to sign Ramprakash and Hick after releasing fringe players and not renewing contracts of anyone except chilton and north. So far Hick has done ok and rampers not quite as well yet I am hopeful.

Bowling against me Harmison has been the best, taking a hat-trick once, and causing mayhem every time he bowls.

Which players have impressed you in your games?

Fungmungus

Cricket Spectator
Sehwag in his one and only season for me (I couldn't renew his contract) averaged around 95 including a 442, a 288 and a 159* in consecutive innings :happy:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Kaneria is a freak for me. Picked up 120+ fc wickets for three seasons in a row at an average in the teens with him. Also, Marcus North is a very good all-rounder, and doesn't count as an international. I would up getting those two and consistently producing spinning pitches at home, and didn't lose a CC match for several years.

squiz

U19 Debutant
Troughton isn't too dificult to dismiss in my game, but Shiv Chanderpaul just keeps on batting when I play the Windies

DJellett

International Debutant
Always had trouble against Cullinan in ICC2001. Also Herath always kills me when I play Sri Lanka.
With the DB update, never really noticed any dominance. Maybe Krezja for Aussies.

EDIT: BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOT!

sammy22

U19 12th Man
North is great but i've been using him only as a batsmen, into the 2nd season now and he's never bowled an over. This is because although he has bowled before his symbol represents batsmen only.

Do these players receive some kind of disadvantage if you choose to bowl them? as since I always have bowling options in my side I decided only to use bowlers and allrounders for bowling.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
I've always found that some batsmen are good for picking up the occasional wicket, partnership breaking, stuff like that... I'll always bring one on if were getting smashed...got nothing to lose.

As for the players that play best against me....it's always the no name...only averaging about 25 who, when we have the oppposition 5/100 or sumtin...comes in and hits a hundred....one of those players who only occasionally peforms...just happens to always be against me....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
sammy22 said:
North is great but i've been using him only as a batsmen, into the 2nd season now and he's never bowled an over. This is because although he has bowled before his symbol represents batsmen only.

Do these players receive some kind of disadvantage if you choose to bowl them? as since I always have bowling options in my side I decided only to use bowlers and allrounders for bowling.
Partnership breakers as mentioned... but some guys really have talent. North took 40 wickets @ 22 in his first season with me, bowling on nothing but turning pitches at home. I'd usually bowl the seamers for a spell each, then bring on Kaneria and North and let them bowl as long as possible if the pitch was taking a lot of turn. North never went for many runs, and eventually took wickets. He's also been quite good as a consistent fifth bowler in OD games for me.

Myk

Cricket Spectator
sammy22 said:

I signed Bevan as one of my overseas players, and despite being listed as only a batsman, he regularly takes wickets (and has an bowling average of ~35).

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
Partnership breakers as mentioned... but some guys really have talent. North took 40 wickets @ 22 in his first season with me, bowling on nothing but turning pitches at home. I'd usually bowl the seamers for a spell each, then bring on Kaneria and North and let them bowl as long as possible if the pitch was taking a lot of turn. North never went for many runs, and eventually took wickets. He's also been quite good as a consistent fifth bowler in OD games for me.
That mirrors real life.

darko21

U19 Debutant
Local (as Somerset, 2011)
James Hildreth - good batsman, has played a few ODIs over the years.
Ed Smith - Picked him up after my first season and has been handy in one dayers. If you are looking for stablity and a player not likely to be called up, Smith is a good bet.
Ian Trott - My highest run scorer 2 years running. Picked up a few years back. Good in the 20/20s

These are the best for my county (as you can see not many because of new players excelling in both forms.)

Overseas
KALLIS - arguably the best all-rounder in the game (possible not in real life). He is a run machine and, for some reason, can take regular bundles of wickets.
Shahid Afridi - looking for another spinner? Afridi is another of those all-rounders who can bat anywhere and bowl you out of strife. (He took a hatrick in one of my 20/20s, only bowling 3 balls)
Shane Watson - similar to the other two.
Danish Kaneria - probably the best spinner in the game. Took over 100 in two years with Somerset.

Those are just a few that spring to mind.