• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

[ICC 2000 Story] Yorkshire in the Super Cup

DJellett

International Debutant
YAY! The quarters!
Hehehe I'll sweeten the deal...I promise you will be prominent in whatever you want to do. (eg. Top 5 if you want to bat) etc. and also guaranteed in the first team!
And I will give you a Caramello Koala!

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
DJellett said:
YAY! The quarters!
Hehehe I'll sweeten the deal...I promise you will be prominent in whatever you want to do. (eg. Top 5 if you want to bat) etc. and also guaranteed in the first team!
And I will give you a Caramello Koala!
OMG A Caramello Koala... A nice deal, but no thanks Dylan :happy:

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
ROFL no thanks Dylan (persistant little bugger aren't you?) :D
Final report should be up soon, I'm playing the in-between matches now. See you at about lunch-time!

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Rooted it

Well, as the title says I've totally done this one, losing to Gloucsestershire easily. I've written the report in a quicker time than I usually do; but then
  • I had Spooks on tape from last night and wanted to watch that
  • I have a party on tonight so I'm gonna go get off my nut with my mates
Have a good night, everyone! And you never know, I might be back with a continuation of thi one day soon :D
------------------------------------------------------
Game Six: Super Cup Quarter Final, Gloucestershire Vs Yorkshire
Yorkshire, who have played this tournament well despite of their well-documented batting woes, managed to get themselves eliminated from the Super Cup by a Gloucestershire team hell-bent on getting a final birth. Yorkshire’s Captain Michael Vaughan (1 from 4) and Matthew Wood (1 from 8) fell early to James Averis (1/28) and Jonathan Lewis (2/25) respectively as their side struggled. With Michael Lumb (8 from 37) becoming Lewis’ second wicket with the score reading 3/38 Phil Jaques (35 from 49, 6 fours) and Ian Harvey (23 from 33) tried to dig in, but both were eventually removed by Martyn Ball (3/39). After both Australians were gone Yorkshire’s sole aim became that to bat through the innings, and Anthony Mcgrath (15 from 47, scoring only behind square) did just that, combining with the out-of-sorts Craig White (25 from 45) to try and do just that. Even when both were eventually dismissed and the Phoenix were in mortal danger at 8/119 Richard Dawson (22 from 30) exerted precious runs from the final two wickets. Yorkshire eventually folded for 148 in just 48.1 overs. Upul Chandana, the Sri Lankan international, bowled with venom to take 4/24 at the end, and Ian Fisher (0/28) also bowled tightly.
One would think that would be a losing score on such a good pitch, but if there’s one thing Yorkshire have established this season is that they’re a fighting team. Craig Spearman (2 from 9) was cleaned up, James Pearson (17 from 40) was deceived and Christopher Taylor (12 from 11) edged a catch behind, Matthew Hoggard (1/20) and Deon Kruis (2/40) running rampant early. Kadeer Ali batted resolutely for 38 from 64 balls, but again just as he looked set Dawson struck. Ripping the ball hard, Dawson took 4/34 as Gloucestershire hit a wall during the middle overs. Harvey also helped to stop the runs from flowing, in his own, tricky way (0/20), however Vaughan was running low on bowlers. With Ian Fisher (29 not-out from 80) and young keeper Stephen Snell (28 from 48, his best one-day score) playing the innings of their current lives, Vaughan tried himself, Craig White and Anthony Mcgrath at the very end. However, with all four of his big-guns bowled out, Vaughan could only watch as Gloucestershire strolled home.

The scorecard reads:
Code:
Yorkshire v Gloucestershire
Super Cup - qtr-final - 9 May 2000

Yorkshire - 1st Innings
----------------------------------------------
M Vaughan       c Chandana b Averis       1
M Wood          c Chandana b Lewis        1
P Jaques        lbw b Ball                35
M Lumb          c Pearson b Lewis         8
I Harvey        b Ball                    23
A McGrath       c Spearman b Chandana     15
C White         b Chandana                25
R Blakey        c Snell b Ball            9
R Dawson        c Snell b Chandana        22
G Kruis         b Chandana                0
M Hoggard       not out                   0
Extras (nb1,w4,lb4)                       9
TOTAL (all out, 48.1 overs)               148

O       M       R       W
U Chandana      0.0     1       24      4
I Fisher        9       2       28      0
M Ball          10      1       39      3
J Lewis         10      2       25      2
J Averis        10      2       28      1
1-2  2-2  3-38  4-57  5-87  
  7-119  8-147  9-147  10-148

Gloucestershire - 1st Innings
C Spearman      b Hoggard                 2
J Pearson       lbw b Dawson              17
C Taylor        c White b Kruis           12
K Ali           c Wood b Dawson           38
U Chandana      b Dawson                  7
M Windows       c Harvey b Dawson         3
I Fisher        not out                   29
S Snell         lbw b Kruis               28
J Averis        not out                   4
M Ball          
J Lewis         
Extras (w6,b1,lb2)                        9
TOTAL (7 wkts, 47.5 overs)                149

A McGrath       2       1       2       0
C White         2       0       13      0
I Harvey        10      1       20      0
M Vaughan       0.0     1       17      0
R Dawson        10      1       34      4
G Kruis         10      0       40      2
M Hoggard       10      1       20      1
1-4  2-22  3-37  4-60  5-68  
 7-141  

Gloucestershire won by 3 wickets
Man of the match: U Chandana

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Great reads mate :0 Only wish my WCC side was doing as well :d

Looking foward tos eeing how it all progresses :)

PS. Spooks was a cracker episode last night wasn't it? :)

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
NZTailender said:
PS. Spooks was a cracker episode last night wasn't it? :)
OMG you are now cool... PIMP LEVEL UP!
But yeah, mate I would like to continue with this story, maybe I'll pick it up a bit later in the season. :huh: I honestly dont want to end it now, so we'll see...

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Verdict: The end of a quick dip
Hey all, this is written as Nick, not as the fake ‘reporter’ who wrote the above articles. I hope you’ve all enjoyed my writing on Yorkshire in the Super Cup, I’ve certainly enjoyed playing these matches as some of them were absolute nail-biters (matches of note being the Quarter Final and Game Two against Lancashire). I’m sad we lost, although I must admit that I probably had the better team and the loss was my fault (I knew that lack of a real fifth bowler would haunt me one day!). What’s even worse though, is that I’ve now had to watch Jaques and Harvey his their respective apexes in the very next match!
The scorecard was:
Code:
Yorkshire v Hampshire
County Championship - D1 - 12 May 2000

Yorkshire - 1st Innings
M Vaughan       c Warne b Logan           29
M Wood          lbw b Logan               1
P Jaques        lbw b Tremlett            214
M Lumb          b Logan                   50
I Harvey        b Warne                   223
A McGrath       b Warne                   16
C White         b Warne                   50
R Blakey        b Warne                   0
R Dawson        b Mascarenhas             2
G Kruis         not out                   13
M Hoggard       c Logan b Warne           0
Extras (nb14,w10,b4,lb2)                  30
TOTAL (all out, 187.5 ovrs)               628

S Katich        4       1       5       0
S Warne         0.0     6       172     5
J Crawley       1       1       0       0
C Tremlett      43      3       139     1
R Logan         33      3       138     3
A Mascarenhas   49      7       168     1
1-8  2-77  3-180  4-446  5-485  
  7-570  8-577  9-628  10-628

Match Drawn
Man of the match: I Harvey
Jaques’ 214 came from just 376 balls and included 28 fours, whilst Harvey’s own double-hundred was only marginally better, his 223 coming from 363 balls and included 29 fours and one six. And yes, for anyone of you wondering, that was the only six of the innings. Sigh.
Vaughan and Hoggard have been called up to England, too. That’s a good result for two deserving players. As for Gloucestershire, they’ve just beaten Glamorgan by 135 runs. I hope they’re happy with their brief success, because I’m coming and I’m hungry for revenge! So yes, I’ll play out the season and possibly even post how I do here, on this very topic. Stay safe, everyone!
Nick, Yorkshire’s not-too-happy manager.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Oh, and here are the stats from the super cup. I hope you all enjoy!
(Please note: these were generated used the brilliant CricketStatz program. I used the trial version)
Code:
Complete Player Summary
All matches, Super League, Yorkshire 20-Jul-2005 to 21-Jul-2005

#    Name               Club    Mts  Inn  NO  HS   50 100 Avg   Runs  Ovs  RunsA BBowl  5I 10 Avg    Wkt Ct  St RO
1    Blakey,R           Yorks   3    3    2   21*  -  -   31.00 31    -    -            -  -    0.00 -   -   -  - 
2    Dawson,R           Yorks   6    1    -   22   -  -   22.00 22    59   197    5-24  1  -    9.85 20  -   -  - 
3    Harvey,I           Yorks   6    6    2   70*  1  -   40.75 163   51   235    3-52  -  -   26.11 9   -   -  - 
4    Hoggard,M          Yorks   6    1    1   0*   -  -   0.00  -     58   231    3-44  -  -   25.66 9   -   -  - 
5    Jaques,P           Yorks   6    6    1   119  3  1   79.60 398   -    -            -  -    0.00 -   -   -  - 
6    Kruis,D            Yorks   1    1    -   0    -  -   0.00  -     10   40     2-40  -  -   20.00 2   -   -  - 
7    Lucus,D            Yorks   2    -    -   0    -  -   0.00  -     17   83     1-28  -  -   83.00 1   -   -  - 
8    Lumb,M             Yorks   6    5    -   54   2  -   25.40 127   -    -            -  -    0.00 -   -   -  - 
9    McGrath,A          Yorks   6    6    2   32   -  -   27.25 109   9    45     1-11  -  -   22.50 2   -   -  - 
10   Silverwood,C       Yorks   3    -    -   0    -  -   0.00  -     22   97     0-28  -  -    0.00 -   -   -  - 
11   Vaughan,M          Yorks   6    6    -   110  -  1   31.33 188   4    17     2-0   -  -    8.50 2   -   -  - 
12   White,C            Yorks   6    5    2   25   -  -   19.00 57    29   140    4-15  -  -   23.33 6   -   -  - 
13   Wood,M             Yorks   6    6    1   63   1  -   29.80 149   -    -            -  -    0.00 -   -   -  -
Code:
Match Draw/Results
All matches, Super League, Yorkshire

Teams                              Round Date        Grade   Ground                   Type  Winner
Nottinghamshire (SC) v Yorkshire ( 5     21-Jul-2005 SL      Headingly                1inns Yorkshire (Super) Win by 76 runs
Gloucestershire (SC) v Yorkshire ( 6     21-Jul-2005 SL      Headingly                1inns Gloucestershire (SC) Win by 3 wickets
Yorkshire (Super) v Durham (Super) 1     20-Jul-2005 SL      Headingly                1inns Yorkshire (Super) Win by 5 wickets
Yorkshire (Super) v Lancashire (Su 2     20-Jul-2005 SL      Headingly                1inns Yorkshire (Super) Win by 5 wickets
Yorkshire (Super) v Leicestershire 3     20-Jul-2005 SL      Headingly                1inns Yorkshire (Super) Win by 116 runs
Derbyshire (Super) v Yorkshire (Su 4     20-Jul-2005 SL      Headingly                1inns Derbyshire (Super) Win by 4 runs
Code:
Honours Summary
All matches, Super League, Yorkshire 20-Jul-2005 to 21-Jul-2005

Statistic                  Name              Club             Figures
Best Batting Average                                           0.00    
Highest Score              Jaques,P          Yorkshire         119    
Best Batting Aggregate     Jaques,P          Yorkshire         398    
Best Bowling Average       Dawson,R          Yorkshire         9.85    
Most Wickets               Dawson,R          Yorkshire         20     
Most Wickets in Innings    Dawson,R          Yorkshire         5-24   
Most Catches                                                   -      
Highest Innings Score      Yorkshire (Super) Yorkshire         303    
Lowest Innings Score       Yorkshire (Super) Yorkshire         148

NZTailender

Nice stuff mate. Great scores up there ^^ :)

PS, you live in Vermont? Neat! Nice area, I think. :) Used to go past it heaps to get to my g/f's flat in Donvale.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
NZTailender said:
Nice stuff mate. Great scores up there ^^ :)

PS, you live in Vermont? Neat! Nice area, I think. :) Used to go past it heaps to get to my g/f's flat in Donvale.
Firstly, thanks for the compliment. Secondly, yeah, it's such a friendly, quiet place, and so's Donvale. I should know, that's where I go to school! :D

PS Small world ;)

NZTailender

Did you happen to be playing a match last summer, at Donvale high school or something? :D

This world gets smaller every day :)

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
NZTailender said:
Did you happen to be playing a match last summer, at Donvale high school or something? :D

This world gets smaller every day :)
Um no, sorry mate, I've never played at Donvale high, although I did play Donvale. I go to Whitefriars, which is on Park Road (if you can remember it you deserve a medal, lol).