• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Best Cricket Game

bumpuss

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I believe that cricket 96 or Super International Cricket (Snes) is the best cricket game ever made. I would ratie it 9/10, the gameplay is by far better than cricket 97,98,99,00,02,04 and 05.

Realistic edges, overthrows and byes! I mean have you ever seen an overthrow in one later games (2002 or 2005). Edges are just like real life, swing outside of off-stump and pray that u hit it, the occasional edge may carry to the slips or even to the keeper.

Bowl inswingers, ouswingers, cutter and bouncers and watch the batsman duck and weave. Spinners bowl arm balls, flippers of-spin and leg-spin. Careful with ur fielding dont want overthrows!

Batsman can play shots, come down pitch and loft over mid off, or wait late cut down to third man, pich a quick single and look at for the overthrows. Fielders have control over appealing and must appeal for lbws and close run outs, third upmires called upon when the decision is too tight.

Place your own field have four slips, and a gully and hope for edge or play defensive and tempt the batsman to take a risky shot. Fielders have thier own skills, speed, accuracy and strength and place them carefully and to keep the batsman on their toes.

More stuff but that can only be experienced if you play it. I have the snes version if u want to i can give it you just email me nyussouf@gmail.com
It really is the best game, what it lacks is all those graphs, manhatten worm, spider and statistics like that, and of course the graphics which are decent, tats why 9/10 and not 10/10!

bumpuss

Also reading through cricket 2005 opinions, the batting and bowling in cricket 96 is reasonable, playing on normal is ideal, wickets can taken quite easily by bowling good bowls, and runs by finding the gaps.

But the game plays best when u play ur friend, tats the most difficult and most enjoying the computer isnt quite as fun aas playing with ur mates. scores can range from 30 - 1000+ depending on the pitch and skill of player. Noobie should reach 100, most of the prblems occur when running between wickets, lack of patience lead to this, a few games of practive and you will understand whn to run and when not to.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It is quite comical when a game made pretty much 10 years ago has better gameplay than anything produced since.

I'd say that the ICC games probably exceed Super International Cricket/Cricket 96, but in terms of live action game it is probably the least frustrating of any.

bumpuss

u cant compare to ICC its not a management game, I think the they the later games should base the gameplay on cricket 96, and improve the graphics and features.
I will get some screenshots for you!

Blaze

Banned
I have cricket 96.. It was such an awesome game and I agree with you it is the best cricket game ever. ICC is better but that is management. In terms of games where you actually play cricket 96 is the best by a mile. I was always pakistan. G Asif was my favourite player

Blaze

Banned
Its the same with Rugby games. Jonah Lomu's Rugby which was made in 1996 is the best rugby game eva because of the game play.

I would rate Cricket 96 better than BLIC because the gameplay is superior. Funny how it was made by EA sports. They got rid of a winning formula

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I have some rugby game from 1991, based on the World Cup held around then. It's awesome! I haven't played another rugby game besides that one, but its fantastic fun.

bumpuss

David Campese rugby is awesome could be the same. Wasnt cricket 96 made by bloom software or something?

Blaze

Banned
bumpuss said:
David Campese rugby is awesome could be the same. Wasnt cricket 96 made by bloom software or something?

It rings a bell but EA was definetly involved because from your screen shots I am talking about the same game you are and my disk says ea sports on it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
EA was involved in Cricket 96 - available on computer, but for some reason not in the Super International Cricket which was on Super Nintendo. While a number of the names are the same, there are some differences. This is a reflection of who was working on it - you'll see a number of the names of the players bob up on the credits.

Coincidence - I think not!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The SNES cricket game is up there with the best and I certainly played it beyond death. The NES cricket game was good fun but not much chop as a 'real' cricket game. That wasn't the point, though; it was just awesomely fun. Both of those games, for pure fun and gameplay, are right up there. The Brian Lara/Shane Warne series of games (which originated with the Graeme Gooch/Alan Border series on the Amiga) were always high quality but too easy after playing them for a little while.

And I agree with what someone else said in another thread about EA; Cricket '97 is still the best. Cricket '99 and 2000 were abysmal, 2002 was a vast improvement and pretty good fun whereas 2004 and 2005 have been frustrating for me.

As for the rest, ICC 2002 is easily the most addictive cricket game I've ever played, probably up there with any game I've ever played.

jacobfelix

Cricket Spectator
ICC 2002? - Do U mean Cricket Captain? Well, actually I had the demo version of it. Initially I didnt like it but after losing some matches.....then when I won MY FIRST MATCH with some brilliant field setting, correct bowling changes...I liked it...but only thing is in the demo one, you can only play 2 county games, Eng vs Zmb test match.

djwolf

Cricket Spectator
Shane Warne Cricket '97 was a pretty cool game. Nice clean graphics, realistic scores and there was always rain affected games. Agreed Cricket '96 was damn good fun but the graphics were blocky and commentary was shocking. BLC '99 was a really good game, the first one to really use TV style graphics, gameplay was pretty good although could have done with more batting shots.

EAC2004 is probably the best to date, when you look at everything as a whole, it's not perfect but has the nicest graphics/sound, most tournaments, decent gameplay and best commentary.

scritty

Eh ?

djwolf said:
EAC2004 is probably the best to date, when you look at everything as a whole, it's not perfect but has the nicest graphics/sound, most tournaments, decent gameplay and best commentary.
Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder then. EAC2005 has "stuck on face" syndrome. Great when players are stood still, but creepy from certain angles as feature template seems "stuck on" a standard head shape. Don't like it at all. BLC is more cartoony (though still pretty realistic) and graphically I much prefer it. Glenn McGraths snarl is really quite good.

Sound on EAC2005 - I'm flabbergasted that anyone could prefer that to BLC. Bat and ball sounds aren't even synchronised correctly. Richie is still saying some of the same things he was 5 years ago - and outside Austrailia, no-one knows who the hell Maxwell is. Campared to Bishop, Greig, Gower etc poor Ritchie doesn't stand a chance (and I have a lot of time for Benaud - top bloke)

Most tournaments - True. Though just having another 50 over game with a different name doesn't really win me over that much. 20Twenty good idea.

Gameplay - For me that is the biggest dissapointment. On HARD level after owning the game for 3 hours I could rattle along at about 15 runs an over in a test match, and bowl any side out for under 100 (Zimbabwe have bowled Austrailia out for 46 in one of my last games - Australia chasing 332 for no wicket. The 332 scored before lunch on the first day. Not a single 2 or 3 scored. all 4's and 6's and a couple of singles and extras.

If that's good gameplay - then I'm not sure what sport it's supposed to be simulating. 'Cause it cartainly isn't cricket ?

Anyway - realised I'd had all the fun out of the game by second day of owning it (and "Owning" it as in demolishing the game on Hard level) It went back for trade in.

Never finished a game in such a short time - even Max Payne 2 lasted twice as long as this.

Value for money -A £30 game that can be totally mastered in every respect in under a day is very poor value for money

Clarker

djwolf

Cricket Spectator
Scritty, are you talking about C2004 or C2005? Haven't played C2005 yet.

As I said, C2004 isn't perfect, admittedly it has a number of flaws but mostly minor ones. Yes, the commentary is repetitive but is still better than any other game. I suppose out of the box the gameplay isn't all that realistic but once you install some of the patches it becomes a much better and fun game to play (e.g more edges, more ball movement, better AI). I guess soon C2005 will have patches available which should improve it. BLC '99 is a very good game but is let down by painfully slow games, blocky graphics, no county teams, batting's too basic and it's way too easy to hit sixes.

I'm really hoping the new BLC will be a good game, I am quite confident it will be.