• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket 2005 v BLIC 2005

James

Cricket Web Owner
Interesting poll that is on all the content pages of Cricket Web:

Which Cricket Game are you more looking to?

Brian Lara/Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2005 (Codemasters)
58%

Cricket 2005 (EA Sports)
42%

Over 2,300 votes too and is closer than what I expected.

Blaze

Banned
Hmm. I really wanted to play cricket 05 demo because i want to see it for myself. I constantly hear people bagging it but that's on the codemasters forum so I can't read too much into that.

A few poor things about BLIC that I have read.

1. You can only throw to the keepers end
2. You cannot advance down the wicket or choose to play either off the front or back foot.
3. There is a bug where the bowler always tries to field the ball. He runs to either mid on or mid off and gets to the ball before the fielder in that position.
4. There is no autoplay feature so you have to play out the entire match.
5. You only have control of the fielder when you throw the ball. You do not control him when chasing the ball.
6. There is no rain interuptions in matches involving the user. Only in CPU v.s. CPU matches.
7. Players only have correct names in World Cup mode or the ICC knockout tournament. Same with venues.

Still, BLIC is still an awesome game according to the people who have been lucky enough to play the demo. I just thought i would let people know that it does have some flaws

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The first BLC was the best cricket game ever (even better than Graham Gooch's cricket on the Amiga! - although that rocked) and Cricket 99 (or anyother EA variation, sucked).
So for that reason alone ive got to pick the new BLC over EA sports latest.
But the demo of Cricket 2005 wasnt too bad so i guess ill see what the BLC demo is like.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Far more interested in EA sports Cricket 2005.. Looks visually better, offers more in the form of control (half the skill is deciding whether to go forward or back!?).. I hope all those who agressively attack it because of EA's previous offerings having not actually played the game end up with egg all over their faces..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Far more interested in EA sports Cricket 2005.. Looks visually better, offers more in the form of control (half the skill is deciding whether to go forward or back!?).. I hope all those who agressively attack it because of EA's previous offerings having not actually played the game end up with egg all over their faces..
I've attacked it based on the fact that it plays crap and BLIC doesn't, having played both.

Blaze

Banned
Langeveldt said:

Have you played BLIC yet? Because if you have then I find that very interesting. I have played EA 2005 and I don't like it. They haven't improved much IMO and it's not that fun to play.

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Couldn't agree more

kwek said:
hmm, i dont like cricket 2005, its just more of the same old cr*p to me.
Just played the demo for 45 minutes. It really is a bloody awful game. Fielders "slide2 after the ball (the keeper just slides at about 150mph to point to collect a ball and run you out over and over again. to quick to se if his legs actually move) If you want to score runs you really have to go in the air

Ball goes back to Andrew Symonds, you hear your batsman go "yup" in response to a button you pressed several seconds earlier. ARGGHH

Controls are SOOOOOOOo slugish, you don't feel as if you have any control

Ball reaches a certain height after impact then "skids" across the sky (wierd, like the sky has a roof that the ball sticks to, and runs along on rails...then drops off) :huh:

Graphics are sub 2002 standard. Everyone has the countenance of Mike Gatting from a distance.

Ball goes off bat in wierd angles that bear no relation to where the ball hits the bat or the direction the ball or bat are travelling. :wacko: :wacko:

Crowd is pathetic cardboard cutout people

Timing is a lottery

Dunno about bowling

Do know I won't be fooled into buying another of EA's festering piles of crip crap. :@ :@

(I have '97..2000, 2002 and 2004, wierdly '97 is probably still the best, followed by 2002) :sleep:

Sorry EA back to the frawing board (or, re-release this again next year with ever so slightly different graphics and a couple of new phrases from Benaud and Maxwell ( Who the hell is Jim Maxwell ?!)

Clarker

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have never played a cricket videogame, however I think I will buy Brian Lara Cricket. EA games are awful: they have wonderful graphics, but they are not realistic. Just think about games like FIFA, NHL, NBA Live...

King_Ponting

International Regular
scritty said:
Just played the demo for 45 minutes. It really is a bloody awful game. Fielders "slide2 after the ball (the keeper just slides at about 150mph to point to collect a ball and run you out over and over again. to quick to se if his legs actually move) If you want to score runs you really have to go in the air

Ball goes back to Andrew Symonds, you hear your batsman go "yup" in response to a button you pressed several seconds earlier. ARGGHH

Controls are SOOOOOOOo slugish, you don't feel as if you have any control

Ball reaches a certain height after impact then "skids" across the sky (wierd, like the sky has a roof that the ball sticks to, and runs along on rails...then drops off) :huh:

Graphics are sub 2002 standard. Everyone has the countenance of Mike Gatting from a distance.

Ball goes off bat in wierd angles that bear no relation to where the ball hits the bat or the direction the ball or bat are travelling. :wacko: :wacko:

Crowd is pathetic cardboard cutout people

Timing is a lottery

Dunno about bowling

Do know I won't be fooled into buying another of EA's festering piles of crip crap. :@ :@

(I have '97..2000, 2002 and 2004, wierdly '97 is probably still the best, followed by 2002) :sleep:

Sorry EA back to the frawing board (or, re-release this again next year with ever so slightly different graphics and a couple of new phrases from Benaud and Maxwell ( Who the hell is Jim Maxwell ?!)

Clarker

Aussie comentator

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Gor BLC demo (no commentary).

It is far more professionally put together. Don't know how the career option willwork as it's not enabled, but the graphics are nearly as good as the EA version BUT the animation is WAAAAAAAYYYYY better.

Sure no front or back foot options, but the game plays really well.

Not as feature packed as the EA version, but EA's features are like varnish on a turd.

Who cares that you can decide the width of your players eyebrows, and how long his hair is (in EA Cricket 2004 ) when the game plays so badly. Had every bug under the sun on the EA demo (fielders stood in middle of pitch for no good reason, strange ball physics, a bat that sits on your knuckles rather than in your hand, bowlers who look like they need a trip to the ostiopath (nice colours - shame about the movement) unresponsive controls. Insta-slide fielders (keeper in particular just "appears" next to the ball if you knock it to silly point or thereabouts - EA may say there's some animation in there somewhere - but I'm buggered if I can see it - makes Linford Christie seem like Grandpa Simpson) Bowling is same old same old.

BLC gameplay is a fair bit better than in '99 - but it seems like they haven't tried to totally re-invent the wheel. Sliders and dials all seem present and correct (though ball "movement" pointer is very good - as are many other improvements)

If you look at the forums a few days after EA's Cricket 99 was released and read the criticisms - and then play the 2005 demo for yourself - it's like they haven't learn't a damn thing. Even the strangest errors are stil there (and that one was written by Creative Asembly wasn't it - aren't they responsible for the excellent Total War series now)

Anywho. my opinion. EA are taking the ****.

If you want a good EA bat and ball game...buy MVP 2005 (on import if needs be - it really is that good) - it has most of the stuff that Cricket 2005 should have, and shows that EA are easily capable of making a good cricket game - I can only assume after 8 years, that they just don't want to.

I'll get BLC - not because it's perfect - but because it is better - both than Codemasters last effort, and better than any cricket game EA have ever produced. It seems to be a tight, well produced piece of software that does the basics well, and adds a few new touches to move the series on.

EA on the other hand layer the new features on thick - and advertise them hard. But the game underneath simply isn't strong enough to warrant the time.

Clarker

djwolf

Cricket Spectator
Haven't tried either of the demo's yet so can't comment on the gameplay but from the screenshots I've seen so far EA 2005 looks much more realistic with it's lovely TV style presentation and sharp graphics, it also seems to have more features. BLC 2005 looks quite nice but the graphics look 'cartoony' and there are a number of niggly things i.e wicketkeeper not wearing a hat, batsman can't advance down wicket, no rain, the list goes on. You would've thought the BLC developers would notice these things after all this time and from their experience. EA games have got steadily better over the years and 2004 is a very good game but for a few minor things.