• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2005 Database Idea Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd actually rate them as just about equal to be honest - both are capable of really good things in all aspects, and both are really good team men.

Long term IMO they are about as matched as any 2 players in International Cricket.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
I'd actually rate them as just about equal to be honest - both are capable of really good things in all aspects, and both are really good team men.

Long term IMO they are about as matched as any 2 players in International Cricket.

I want to see Giles bowl more. I have always percieved him as a journeyman but you seem to rate him highly so I will reserve judgement. It will be interesting to see if he has as much success against Aus in the ashes as Vettori has recently. (Aus have a weakness against finger spin IMO). Say you were a selector and there was one place for either Vettori or Giles who would you pick? ( lets assume it is the first ashes test)

bryce

International Regular
Blaze said:
M W BB AVG 5w
Vettori recently (04/05) 4 30 6/28 18.83 4

Giles recently (04/05) 5 11 3/105 40.81 0

I know that this can be considered as selective statistics to accomidate my point but what I am trying to show is that Vettori is in great form and is showing no signs of bad form at all and at his best IMO and I would venture to suggest most other non english peoples opinions he is a superior bowler to Giles
i'm suprised marc didn't realise he played 2 tests against bangladesh - which means one of two things, either he forgot or he actually rates bangladesh - and i know where my money stands..

SIX AND OUT

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
As for someone suggesting Giles' batting should be decreased, what's that based on?
Averaged over 50 in my personal test career with Giles (around 15 tests, 2002-2004 - delisted as it was Int Only)

In those 15 tests he made 7 50's and 1 100's - including 3 of those 8 not out, plus he got dismissed only a few times.

That might be a one off though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SIX AND OUT said:
Averaged over 50 in my personal test career with Giles (around 15 tests, 2002-2004 - delisted as it was Int Only)

In those 15 tests he made 7 50's and 1 100's - including 3 of those 8 not out, plus he got dismissed only a few times.

That might be a one off though.
To my experience, that's definitely a one-off!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Blaze said:
I want to see Giles bowl more. I have always percieved him as a journeyman but you seem to rate him highly so I will reserve judgement. It will be interesting to see if he has as much success against Aus in the ashes as Vettori has recently. (Aus have a weakness against finger spin IMO). Say you were a selector and there was one place for either Vettori or Giles who would you pick? ( lets assume it is the first ashes test)
Whoever's in the best form at the time.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Some more selective statistics:

Vettori 2003: 11 @ 60.09
Giles 2003: 28 @ 43.57
Vettori 2004: 38 @ 32.21
Giles 2004: 38 @ 30.00

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Some more selective statistics:

Vettori 2003: 11 @ 60.09
Giles 2003: 28 @ 43.57
Vettori 2004: 38 @ 32.21
Giles 2004: 38 @ 30.00
Haha yea there are always ways to back up your argument with good old statistics. Personally I think Vettori is a far superior bowling but I will gladly eat humble pie if Giles impresses me against AUS

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
It will be interesting to see if he has as much success against Aus in the ashes as Vettori has recently.
He only played one game in the last series, and I believe took 6 wickets - then he joined the injury trail. Not sure if that was his only game against them or not.

Blaze said:
Say you were a selector and there was one place for either Vettori or Giles who would you pick? ( lets assume it is the first ashes test)
Giles because he is well fitted in the England side and knows his role.

For the same reason I'd pick Vettori if it were NZ looking for one of the 2.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bryce said:
i'm suprised marc didn't realise he played 2 tests against bangladesh - which means one of two things, either he forgot or he actually rates bangladesh - and i know where my money stands..
I didn't have a chance to look at it as I was on the verge of running late for work, but to be honest I had forgotten.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Giles v Aus: 2 Tests, 7 @ 42.71
Vettori v Aus: 10 Tests, 43 @ 30.44

Giles v Pak: 3 Tests, 17 @ 24.11
Vettori v Pak: 3 Tests, 4 @ 100.25

Giles v BD: 2 Tests, 1 @ 112.00
Vettori v BD: 4 Tests, 26 @ 13.88

mahmoodbhopal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
but vittori can bat too thats why he is the contender bats vittori bats too?? but giles bats far better then vettori

musha_13

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Back On-Topic i think brad (or George) Hogg should have betting bowling and batting skills and be changed to an all-rounder.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
vettori is way better for me
Well Vettori's batting should definately be improved. I don't have access to the game at the moment but from memory Vettori is a defensive batsman, changing that to aggressive should also be done. Giles should stay as he is though, he's a decent domestic batsman and has performed well at international level recently so his batting skill is adequate.

Blaze

Banned
Somerset said:
Well Vettori's batting should definately be improved. I don't have access to the game at the moment but from memory Vettori is a defensive batsman, changing that to aggressive should also be done. Giles should stay as he is though, he's a decent domestic batsman and has performed well at international level recently so his batting skill is adequate.

Somerset- Why don't you have access to the game at the moment?

SIX AND OUT

U19 12th Man
I have been playing with the downloaded version, and Michael Clarke batting isn't too high, or even the same. He has a test average of around 40 down from 50!!!

Also Clarkey was very, very defensive. I suggest mid aggresive.