• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Bell, Chris Bassano both retired after first international season??

Bozo2c

Cricket Spectator
Both these players retired one year after i had bought them into the test team. This also happened a few years later with E.Smith. All 3 batsman were quality players and iam struggling to find any decent bats. They were all in there twenty's. Has this happened before to anyone else?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven't lost both Bell and Bassano after the first season but I did lose Pietersen after only 1 season once. Quite annoying.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
None of those happened for me (though I did play with W'shire for a bit) but even now in 2010 Bell and Bassano still feature in the English XI

bryce

International Regular
the 'early retirement' thing that happens in international games happens because those players didn't get offered county contracts that season and subsequently disappear from the game

SIX AND OUT

U19 12th Man
yeah, lucky for me Bassano, Pietersen, Bell and Strauss are all still in as they are helping my team with the bat

BUT......

Ashley Giles - who I named test player of the year and won the actual Mikey's Medal both times - had retired after the 2004 season, pretty sure he was delisted and not picked up. I remember when playing County Career and i picked him up with Surrey around that time. Hope it doesnt happen again.