• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fielding settings and how you watch...

prop247

Cricket Spectator
Cheers for your help on the Powell and Wood mix up guys, ive not needed to blood either yet but Trescothic is looking shaky so it might not be long!

I was wondering how you guys played, i mean, do you just watch the highlights or every ball?

When im batting i always just watch '4+ runs' and 'chances', but during my first couple of tests against Sri Lanka i watched every ball so i could play with field settings and try to work out positions where catches are taken most often.

I setup attacking, normal and defending fields for off and leg side attacks, and found a few usefull positions like a square leg just infront of the umpire, a couple of slip fielders around 3rd slip/gully area, even sometimes a cheeky leg slip when im bouncing them on leg stump!!

Anyway i went into the 3rd test with my fields set and thought id play throughout on '4+ runs & chances' and it worked ok. I lost the third test but won overall 2-1 thanks to a combination of Hussains batting, Corks amazing 7-67 in the second test and a little luck with the weather.

After some shocking results in the one day triangular its onto the Tests against India.

In the first test i immediately noticed chances going through the slips and began playing a chasing game of guessing where the ball would fly through. As you can imagine its very frustrating to have Ganguly and Tendulkar happily slapping into their hundreds and seeing chances fly inbetween my slips! And the successfull square leg position now seemed out of position as chances now fly either side.

So how do you guys field. Do you just use standard settings or have you setup your own special fields? And do you fly through or watch ball by ball and adjust accordingly?

ALSO when playing one dayers do you bowl defensively or aggressively. I can compete in tests but the in the one dayers we just fall apart! All that happens is my players loose form for when the tests come back around!! V.annoying!

cheers

prop247

Cricket Spectator
well i tried it out last night in the final test against India. I was already 2-0 down in the series so what the hell. I adjusted the bars as i normally would whilst bowling but left the fields to their default settings... and got spanked. India posted a first innings total of 563 for 6 dec.

Dammit!

Back to adjusting custom fields it is then!

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Have never set a field, only had a look at it for a little while. Tends to work quite well normally without being adjusted. But, then again, I don't bother with looking at the batters preferences and adjusting to that any more either. Gets a tad boring

prop247

Cricket Spectator
oh right, how do you decide how your going to bowl at them then? Just however takes your fancy or some other logic? How do you think you fare compared to bowling at weaknesses?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Never look at it, and never change my settings (except when I need wickets in the last session).

Haven't lost a Test series in years.

prop247

Cricket Spectator
so how come none of you fellas look at it? is there something i dont know, like in the coding or something which says it doesnt make a difference? or is it just years of playing has made the field changes tiresome?

I just figure that its a part of the gameplay just as your batting bars are. If your faced with a batsman who is tonking you round the ground why not go down to 1 or 2 bars to try and slow his runrate down. Ive has occasions like this where moving to 2 bars tightens things up for a few overs and then the batsman seens to get frustrated and gets out. Maybe thats just coincidence, ive not been playing as long as you guys. Likewise you need 10 wickets in 2 sessions, youve gotta put your bars up, surely??

Maybe i just have a fresh enthusiasm as im new to the game and itll become the same for me soon?

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
prop247 said:
so how come none of you fellas look at it? is there something i dont know, like in the coding or something which says it doesnt make a difference? or is it just years of playing has made the field changes tiresome?

I just figure that its a part of the gameplay just as your batting bars are. If your faced with a batsman who is tonking you round the ground why not go down to 1 or 2 bars to try and slow his runrate down. Ive has occasions like this where moving to 2 bars tightens things up for a few overs and then the batsman seens to get frustrated and gets out. Maybe thats just coincidence, ive not been playing as long as you guys. Likewise you need 10 wickets in 2 sessions, youve gotta put your bars up, surely??

Maybe i just have a fresh enthusiasm as im new to the game and itll become the same for me soon?
Yes, a lot of what you say is true...you do possess a fresh enthusiasm. The reason I adjust the batting and leave the bowling alone is because the batting is much QUICKER to change, and the bowling gets quite long and tedious, e.g. he likes aggressive, you bowl defensively, but he likes off-side, so you bowl leg-side, he likes front foot shots, so you bowl short, but they need 7 off the last over to win so you dont want to bowl short

Very, very tiresome, and you get through games faster if you can't be bothered. Never watch highlights, just change the bowlers, seems to work alright. Not sure of the mathematics of the whole thing, but I don't seem to go that much better anyway.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
prop247 said:

The general reasoning is excessive student laziness.

Eclipse

International Debutant
When i play seriously i allways do my own feilds etc..

make's a big difference but it's such a hassle plus the game is easy enough with out it..

)Swing(

Cricket Spectator
Very rarely do I watch wicket 4+ runs. I only alter batsmen aggression in ODD/ODI's. It's always at full aggression no matter the over. I've won more games than I've lost by this technique. Sucks going from 1/150-ish to all out for 190-ish.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I used to watch boundaries and wicket chances in both innings but now I'm just sticking to wickets for my side - and that's fast-forwarded too.

As for fields, I generally stick with the normal fields, maybe adding or dropping a bar occassionally depending on the situation.