• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

powell or powell, wood or wood?

prop247

Cricket Spectator
Quite a few people have recommended selecting Wood and Powell for England in ICC 2002. I just wanted to check which ones!

There are 3 Powells i think. 1 starts as a 25yo for Glamorgam and the other a 27yo for Worcs (i think) these 2 are both openers.

There is also 1 more M.Powell who is younger and not an opener i think.

And there are a couple of Woods. 1's an opener and 1's normal batsman.

Also how does M.Wagh perform in tests? Anyone tried him?

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wagh did well for me.

Not sure which Wood ppl. have suggested to select but the one from Yorkshire has often done well for me at International level.

The Michael Powell that is better is the one from Glamorgan, he does decently in the game and has been on the edge of selection for England in real life.

bryce

International Regular
i had a strange incident occur once as england manager...
i picked the wrong M.Powell by mistake(not the one from glamorgan i was meant to pick) so played on anyway and he made 173 on debut! so i think either are adequate international players, strangely enough the glamorgan M.Powell performed poorly in his international career in that same game.
i know what your thinking and no i didn't get them mixed up!

Nick D

Cricket Spectator
Hi i'm new here, just wanted to put my thoughts in. If i'm honest, you'd be better off with bassano, bell, pietersen etc. I also found that Matty Bulbeck is a top 5 Test Batsmen, and comes in at 3 for the odi side :blink:

prop247

Cricket Spectator
Yes, but Powell and one of the Woods im talking about are both openers, so i was talking with the view of eventually replacing Vaughan and Trescothick or at least providing some alternative back ups.

I havent selected either of them yet anyways, but i agree with some of your other selections. Bell started my first 2 tests against Sri Lanka, but only averaged 25 in 4 innings, so im saving him for later. M Wagh has come in and done well against Sri Lanka and in the first India Test. I think hes averaging about 37 in 4 tests, scoring a couple of 50's.

Bassano also played all 6 ODI's ans was shocking, averaging 11 at the end. And he was in form!

Lets hope he does better in the tests! Ill give Bulbeck a try though, cheers

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Matty Bulbeck's no more than a number 8 for me - more than useful allrounder though. Shame it's all gone wrong for him IRL...

Nick D

Cricket Spectator
In the ODi's I just set him to blast it aqll over the park if hes in for the first 15 and he regualrly gets 40 off 25 or something ridiculous. Not a bad second change bowler either :)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
i use the M Wood from Yorkshire, he's doing awesome for me in 2009 i think, a real legand already!

bryce

International Regular
m.wood from yorks(the opener) is a crappy batsman, the one from somerset is good though - he regularly ends up with a FC average of over 40 and he is also very aggressive

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
my fault i think this is the M wood from somerset(in 2009 Leics) and he's doing awesome for me as you can see :) that 240* knock was amazing :O :D

Attachments

SIX AND OUT

U19 12th Man
All this talk about using Powell!!!!

so after he was doing well early in the county season I chucked him in for a test debut, and replacement for injured Trescothick.

He made 100 on debut, and followed with a half century in the 2nd innings. He did exactly the same in the second test.