• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Cloughie

anzac

International Debutant
I'm shocked & saddened to hear the news - working PMs I get to miss most of what's happeneing around the place..........

Top idea Eddie & I'm sure the locals will make it right as a fitting tribute..............

from a team of nobodys at Forest - didn't most of them go on to win international caps for their respective countries for a number of years?????

only other guy I can think of doing similar was Taylor with Watford...............

and so far as his handling of the current prima donnas goes - they wouldn't get a run in the side if they didn't pull finger...............

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes indeed, on both counts.

We;ve just heard from Downing Street that, unfortunately, a posthumous Knighthood cannot be awarded - that was another suggestion.

However, the campaign for 'Brian Clough Way' gains momentum - just made national television.

There's no stopping it now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
I'm not going to get into 'whose idea it was' - it was a bit of a communal thing which

Actually, I will - credit where credit's due, and I've just dug through my mail archives.

The idea was first raised on a completely unrelated issue (Derby City Council were inviting suggestions - through the club - for road names for the area round where the old Baseball Ground used to stand). A member of the
DCFC Ramsnet going by the pen-name 'Ramian' suggested Brian Clough Way on 1 July this year.

After the news of Cloughie's death broke this week, we started firing messages around 'Ramsnet' and 'Ramstrust' and Mark Waite suggested it (A52 to be renamed Brian Clough Way) initially (I merely mentioned the precedent of Clive Sullivan Way, leading into Hull).

I just thought I'd mention it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
RIP and a sad sad lose.

IIRC didn't Roy Keane first began his career under Brian Clough at Forest before going to Old Trafford?
He did. There was a great quote from Cloughie in The Mirror (newspaper) on Tuesday. He said,

"I only had to hit Roy Keane once. He got up again, so it wasn't hard enough! " :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
A52 update - from the Derby Evening Telegraph (I don't think they'll mind me reproducing the article here)...

Going your Way Cloughie

By Ross Fraser

Derby County supporters who want to see the road connecting the city with
Nottingham named after Brian Clough could see their wishes become a reality.

The club's supporters organisation, RamsTrust, believes calling the A52
"Brian Clough Way" between the two cities would be a unifying memorial to the legend who guided the Rams and Nottingham Forest to glory.

The fans' group has decided to throw its weight behind the road-naming
campaign, with the Nottingham Forest Supporters Club also voicing its approval.

Now David Gartside, head of traffic at Derby City Council, has said it is
within the council's jurisdiction to change the names of roads within its
boundaries.

Mr Gartside said: "The council, as the highways authority, is responsible
for naming and numbering streets and roads, so it is eminently possible. Some of the A52 is named, but names such as the Borrowash bypass aren't exactly catchy.
"We don't normally name roads after people but Brian Clough obviously had a
particular status here in Derby.
"Certainly it would mean something to people in Derby and Nottingham.

"I've just got a personal concern that Brian Clough's name would be wasted
on the A52. People from other parts of the country would still just think that
they were on the A52 dual carriageway.
"But I'm not ruling it out. If supporters want to write in with suggestions
then they can do so."

Hull is one city where the authorities made the decision to name a road
after a sporting legend. In October 1985, Humberside County Council decided that Hull's new South Orbital Road should be named Clive Sullivan Way, in the same week the rugby league star died.

Derby County club spokesman Damon Parkin said the city should wait until the Clough family had enough time to mourn before any decision was made.

Mr Parkin said: "We feel that the family should have time to mourn Brian and
reflect. As a club we feel that we need to take a step back from deciding on
anything like this, out of respect to the Clough family, until after the
memorial service has taken place.

"However, on Saturday we will celebrate his memory. There will be a special
programme, the players will wear black armbands, and there will be a minute's silence before the game takes place.
"The flatscreen televisions all around the stadium concourse will replay his
finest moments."

Mr Gartside said the city council would need to consult with other councils
whose boundaries the A52 crossed before a decision was made.
A spokesman for Broxtowe Borough Council said its leader, Councillor Milan
Radulovic, believed renaming the A52 was an excellent idea.

Councillor Michael Edwards, deputy leader of Nottingham City Council, said
it was too early to say what kind of memorial would be appropriate, but
suggested it was time the two cities started to unite and Brian Clough could be a symbol of that unity.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I did read in yesterday's Guardian that a fly in the ointment about the A52 plan is that there is a particularly fancy roundabout on the dual carriageway (dunno myself, never been on it), which offended Cloughie's belief in things being "straight & direct".

I heard an alternate suggestion of East Midlands Airport being renamed "Brian Clough International".

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I did read in yesterday's Guardian that a fly in the ointment about the A52 plan is that there is a particularly fancy roundabout on the dual carriageway (dunno myself, never been on it), which offended Cloughie's belief in things being "straight & direct".

I heard an alternate suggestion of East Midlands Airport being renamed "Brian Clough International".
Cloughie, when he was seriously ill a couple of years ago, pooh-poohed the idea of memorials and the like, suggesting that if people wanted to buy him flowers, it would be better to do it while he was alive.

As far as I can remember, from Chaddo right through to Bramcote, there's only 1 other roundabout - and that's where the garden centre near Toton is situated. We don't have 'fancy' roundabouts in the East Midlands - we have thoroughly practical ones (with the occasional landscaped rockery, ornamental sculpture and no more than half a dozen fountains and a chippy).

The airport's going to be a non-starter (I live in Castle Donington - where the EMA is situated, so I keep the old wattle firmly against the ground). It's just undergone a name-change a month ago to 'Nottingham East Midlands Airport' - a decision which, understandably, has the rest of the East Midlands in uproar (not least because the airport is situated in Leicestershire and has a Derby post code). Besides, the owners of N-EMA are from Manchester. Surprised they didn't re-name it 'Stockport Airport' - or even 'Fergie International'.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Good to hear (or read).

When can we expect such a decision to be announced?
After a decent period for people to show their respect - not like the b*stards from the Daily Telegraph who went out of their way yesterday to interview the utterly disgraceful (P)Rick Parry of Liverpool FC about the 'bung' and 'brown parcel' allegations all over again. Parry said "Well, of course we know he was guilty......".

FFS, the man (Clough) is hardly in a position to defend himself now, and these freaking swine from the gutter which is British journalism are already using him to sell newspapers. I have sent messages expressing my utter disgust to both Liverpool FC and the Daily Telegraph - somehow, I don't think I will ever see a reply from either.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
After a decent period for people to show their respect - not like the b*stards from the Daily Telegraph who went out of their way yesterday to interview the utterly disgraceful (P)Rick Parry of Liverpool FC about the 'bung' and 'brown parcel' allegations all over again. Parry said "Well, of course we know he was guilty......".

FFS, the man (Clough) is hardly in a position to defend himself now, and these freaking swine from the gutter which is British journalism are already using him to sell newspapers. I have sent messages expressing my utter disgust to both Liverpool FC and the Daily Telegraph - somehow, I don't think I will ever see a reply from either.
What actually happened in the incident?