• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fastest Nz Rugby Player

Fastest rugby player

• Sitiveni Sivivatu

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Lome Fauata'u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sereli Bobo

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Joe Rokocoko

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Rupeni Caucaunibunca

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Right arm fast said:
yea he was unbelievable at times rokocoko showed great potential but hasn't been at his best imo for a while now
Except for last year's Tri Nations, perhaps? His tries against SA at the 'Brook were special.

Craig

World Traveller
Voltman said:
Sosene Anesi has the fastest 40m time recorded in NZ Rugby history - 4.53. He'd comfortably win over that distance, but I'd expect him to be able to hold on for 100m too.
If he was a 100m sprinter he would probably be around the 10-11 second mark!

spinking1

Cricket Spectator
sivivatu has shown his pace on a couple of occations including the times he scored a hat trick against the all blacks and 2 tries against south africa in consecutive weeks. plus sivivatu and rokocoko are the only players in the list to play for new zealand.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Adam Thomson is reputedly the quickest in the squad over 40 metres now. Sivi would lose interest in the race after 10 metres.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I knew Thomson was quick, but I didn't think he'd be that fast. Impressive.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't say much for our wing stocks though, unfortunately...

Masaga's time is now!

spinking1

Cricket Spectator
i have never seen sivivatu lose interest in a foot race with any1

and anywayz jason robinson is the fastest player to ever play rugby union with a hundred metres time of 10 seconds flat followed by rokocoko with 10.06 then howlett with 10.16 secs so the fastest new zealand player ever is rokocoko

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
i have never seen sivivatu lose interest in a foot race with any1
Unfortunately, foot races aren't that important, but he's lazy when playing rugby union. Should have tried to cut down the angle on Australia's try on Saturday but the old Sivivatu lainess came to the fore again.

and anywayz jason robinson is the fastest player to ever play rugby union with a hundred metres time of 10 seconds flat followed by rokocoko with 10.06 then howlett with 10.16 secs so the fastest new zealand player ever is rokocoko
Oh dear. Who told you that - the Tooth Fairy?

spinking1

Cricket Spectator
actually i read it on webpage but i've 4gotten the address and i dont no if u've heard but the tooth fairies NOT!!!! REAL!!!! sorry to crush ur dreams

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well the webpage is full of unmitigated rubbish. Rokocoko has NEVER run 10.06 and Howlett has NEVER run 10.16 while that time of Robinson's is a flight of fancy if ever I saw one.

Official times are hard to find, but Lomu is reputed to have run 10.8 seconds at high school - I even find that hard to believe. Here's one "offical" go at it. http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/fastest-player-of-all-time/2007/10/17/1192300859979.html

If, by some sheer coincidence, Rokocoko had recorded such a time, it would be a full 0.05 seconds faster than the quickest time ever by a NZ - 10.11 by former Ghanian sprinter Gus Nketia who ended up staying in NZ after the 1990 Commonwealth Games. Now, if you expect me to believe a rugby player can run faster than a full-time sprinter who is from an area of the world whose descendants traditionally produce the quickest sprinters in the world, I'm afraid you're going to have to try harder than that.

When do you propose Rokocoko is alleged to have run this mythical time of 10.06? It certainly wasn't at the national high school championships - the quickest time ever recorded there was:

Boys 100 Metre Sprint Senior 10.60 1997 Benjamin Potter - St Kentigern College
http://nzssaa.org.nz/static/record-holders-2007.pdf

The fastest time run by a New Zealander in NZ is 10.27 by Chris Donaldson:

http://www.athletics.org.nz/Resource.aspx?ID=3423

Over to you, spinking.

spinking1

Cricket Spectator
i was just saying that i saw these times on a website and they may not be intirely accurate.that may be the fastest time by a new zealander in new zealand but technicly rokocoko is fijian and it may not have been recorded in an event people run good times all the time outside competitions or meets.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
i was just saying that i saw these times on a website and they may not be intirely accurate.that may be the fastest time by a new zealander in new zealand but technicly rokocoko is fijian .
Oh, ****ing hell. How many records do you think the Rok broke in his five years between childbirth and his family migration to NZ? All his schooling was in NZ, all his rugby has been in NZ, and he's never represented anyone other than NZ? Aside from a Fijian passport, how is he "technicly" (sic) Fijian?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I knew Thomson was quick, but I didn't think he'd be that fast. Impressive.
Yep had the same impression after reading Voltman's post. Very quick indeed.

If I had to guess at the quickest in international rugby today, I'd same Bryan Habana would be near the top of my list.