• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

04/05 Champions League Draw

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
PAO will be tough at home..they've got Rivaldo upfront & he should add some much needed spark in attack.

PSV are almost certain to lose Mark Van Bommel at some stage during the season. I see he's been linked with Real Madrid today.
I've looked at the PSV roster for this season & they've hardly got many well-known names in there...they've added Cocu, but he's ageing.
PSV also signed DaMarcus Beasley (USA)...I remember seeing him during the U17 World Cup here in NZ a few years back, he looks a good player..but he might need time to adjust from the MLS.

Ajax have probably even got less of a chance now that Ibrahimovic is almost 100% certain to join either Roma or Juventus.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
too late for van bommell to leave now, so hes the for the group stages at least.
out line up looks very strong on paper

----------------Gomes------------------

Bogelund----Oojier-----Cocu-----Bouma

Park----van Bommel-----De Jong----Beasley

------Vennegor of Hesselink---Sibon

then as back up we have jefferson fanfran (striker), Alex (defender), Lamey (defender), Leandro Bonfim (midfield), Lee (defender)... so plenty of depth....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that squad has the ability to make the quarters...but highly doubtful they'd go any further.
They'd need alot of luck to go their way, that's for sure.

Simon

2nd round will be a good showing, we had a tough group last year with monaco and deportivo and this years squad isnt as strong. ill admit that much, but the group we are in gives a real chance of getting through, althought we'd have a very tough game in the 2nd round no doubt....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not particulary sold on Kezman being a great striker in European competition..but Robben will be a huge loss, he really is a good player.

Simon

Hofland was a big loss, although he didnt play a major part towards the end of last season, he held out defence together for years, Wateruss too, although we have replaced him with 2 very good keepers. unfortunately we can only use 1 at a time :p

Kezman will hurt, he scored 105 goals in 127 league games, theres very few strikers in the world who can match that, but vennegor has started well without him, 3 goals in 3 games...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But this is the Dutch league...which is questionably well below the standards of Italy, England, Spain etc.

I doubt Kezman will be as prolific for Chelsea in the EPL as he was for PSV.

Simon

no doubt at all, but theres no denying thats an incredible scoring record and hes obviously talented enough to attract the interest of chelsea. he wont score goals sitting on the bench thats for sure. im disapointed he hasntsee a lot of game time, cause hes a quality striker....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im surprised Chelsea went after Kezman..but I guess Mourinho wanted a proven striker.
I thought they might have looked to land Torres or Gilardino.

Simon

he was cheaps, 5m pounds, cant go wrong for someone of his ability for that price. Torres would have cost them buckets and i doubt he would have wanted to go there anyway....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think price matters anymore with Chelsea...even if Kezman came at a bargain.

At a guess i'd say Mourinho wanted him because he's got a good goal-scoring record & he's hardly had many injury problems...the price was probably a bonus.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
PAO will be tough at home..they've got Rivaldo upfront & he should add some much needed spark in attack.

Depends - his career has taken a rapid downturn recently.

Simon

marc71178 said:
Depends - his career has taken a rapid downturn recently.
yeh rivaldo is a long way past his best, thats why he plays for them now, he cant find a better side!

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
yet it will be a good comp like it is every year, i cant wait for the as monaco v chelsea clash

who will take the price money

as monaco have an exceptional side.

Simon

they arent in the same group, and monaco wont get out of their group, they have lost a lot of talent and now Chevanton is injured Saviola will be carrying the attack by himself and keep in mind he hasnt played a game for them yet, so he needs time to fit in....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I also think Monaco will struggle to repeat what they did last season.
Jerome Rothen is no longer at Monaco is he? Giuly really played well for them last season..it's hard to see them doing the same without him.
Morientes was also an excellent loan, too bad they couldn't get him back for another spell.

I still think Rivaldo is capable of producing good performances...he lost out at Milan because he came in at the bottom of the pecking order & was unable to push past their already established forwards.
Coming from being first choice for Barcelona & Brazil, I don't think Rivaldo accepted that very well & he paid the price.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
i told cloete my feelings on that before, monaco should be able to attract the calible of players like morientes and saviola on loan, why dont they do something about getting some kind of juniors structure going....
They also wanted Nicolas Anelka but he costs to much for them. They also signed Mohamed Kallon from Inter for 5m euros, I think he will be a good buy for them. Inter had far too many players (35) at the time and had to get rid of some.

Craig

World Traveller
Last season he was suspended for taking a banned drug (some typle of steriod IIRC) and has been mostly been sitting on the bench or in the reserves.

Simon

Tim said:
I also think Monaco will struggle to repeat what they did last season.
Jerome Rothen is no longer at Monaco is he? Giuly really played well for them last season..it's hard to see them doing the same without him.
Morientes was also an excellent loan, too bad they couldn't get him back for another spell.

I still think Rivaldo is capable of producing good performances...he lost out at Milan because he came in at the bottom of the pecking order & was unable to push past their already established forwards.
Coming from being first choice for Barcelona & Brazil, I don't think Rivaldo accepted that very well & he paid the price.
you have to question rivaldo's commitment too, he barely lasted a few weeks at cruzerio, i dont think he has the ability to be a top player anymore....