• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much football do you watch?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Serie A actually :p

And it is a boring dull league - far less exciting than La Liga or the Premierleague.
So why do some of the world's best players play there then?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
So why do some of the world's best players play there then?
they do, but that doesnt mean the league is more exciting, i know id prefer to watch most other leagues (excet scotland) than watch serie A

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
So then Cardiff, Wrexham, and Swansea shouldn't play in the English lower divisions because they are Welsh, not English?

Different story, there was no Welsh league when you joined.

Cloete

International Captain
And the fact is it's not necessarily free, the club recieving the player still has to pay compensation do they not?

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
they do, but that doesnt mean the league is more exciting, i know id prefer to watch most other leagues (excet scotland) than watch serie A
Then you are not a fan of technicial football then?

Tell me how many Serie A games have you watched?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Was your post even nessacary you twit?

I wasn't trying to make a point at all.
well why did u post it, i know it, marc knows it, u know it,

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I thought it was for players under 23?
It's something to do with that - think it may be 24 is the cut off, but not entirely sure how it works.

When FM 5 comes out it should become clearer!

Craig

World Traveller
Does the law just apply if a player moves to another English club?

I believe Port Vale striker McPhee moved to Portugese club Beiria Mar (sp) on a free, and PV weren't too happy about it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's a complex one - think that it's got to be between clubs in same country and there's some compensation if under 24, hence Leeds couldn't sign McPhee.

Mind you, Port Vale cannot be too upset seeing as they never raised the player in the first place!

Craig

World Traveller
So if McPhee had gone back to Scotland the club he had joined wouldn't have to give Port Vale a pound in compensation?

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
that would would then mean that the scottish league would be on par with wales and ireand. At least this way scotland have a couple of decent teams to represent in europe. The problem is their ammount of quality scottish players is very low, if there were more good ones, im sure we'd see more in their squads :)
Goalkeeper David Marshall is one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
So if McPhee had gone back to Scotland the club he had joined wouldn't have to give Port Vale a pound in compensation?
Not sure how it works with Scotland and England, but think that that is the case.

However, just because he's Scottish, doesn't mean he came from a Scottish club.

He was trained up as part of our successful(ish) youth team of a few years ago.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Different story, there was no Welsh league when you joined.
Indeed, the Welsh League only came about in the early 1990s - and tried to attract the "big guns" with the carrot of European places.

Needless to say, it failed to get them - or even Colwyn Bay, Newport County or Merthyr Tydfil - and it's all going rapidly flat.