• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will get the 16th NRL spot?

Who will be the 16th NRL team

• Gold Coast

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Wellington

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craig

World Traveller
Tomorrow the NRL will meet to decide to whether or not to expand the NRL from 15 teams to 16 teams, and should they do so, which one out of Wellington, Central Coast, or the the Gold Coast will get it.

Which one will it be?

Personally I think and hope it is the Gold Coast, I'm not just saying this because I live here and therefore give them my support, but having seen the support from the council, the people, sponsorship, a team name and jerseys (which are on sale) and a head coach appointed, and the only thing needed is an upgrade to Carrara Stadium.

And besides from a Melbourne Storm fan if the Central Coast get it, Matt Orford is all but a certainty to join them which will be bad news for the Storm considering how vital he is for them, but as usual they will probably pluck some guy from obsurity and turn him into a really good player.

Hey they did it with Matt Geyer, Steve Bell, Billy Slater, Scott Hill, Matt King, Cameron Smith etc.

You would have to think Wellington doesn't have much chance of getting in.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IF they decide to add another side it has to be th gold coast, if they go with the bears it will be a waste of time....

wellington doesnt have a hope after the warriors **** house efforts this season....

Craig

World Traveller
The other day The Gold Coast Bulletin published the NRL's e-mail address and encouraged it's readers to flood the NRL HeadQuarters with e-mails of support for another Gold Coast team and David Gallop said he wasn't too impressed by the publicity stunt.

Simon

yeh i read that, pretty ordinary on the GC's behalf actually, i think they will win anyway but things like that will only harm their chances...

Andre

International Regular
If the Gold Coast get a team it will be an absolute and utter disgrace. A Team has failed there before - infact, all sports have. It is by and large a tourist product and it won't excatly have much support at home. It would be a travesty to returned to a proven graveyard by the NRL.

If it is anyone, it has to be the bears, but I think they will keep it as it is.

Craig

World Traveller
Despite getting big crowds when NRL matches have been played up here?

Take it from somebody who actually lives here.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
should be a 2nd team from NZ really..

Wellington.. i dont think the new team should just result the warriors peformance this season.. because overall the warriors are a pretty sucessful franchise , and we have developed really well over the years.. and certainly will continue on..

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
Despite getting big crowds when NRL matches have been played up here?

Take it from somebody who actually lives here.
NRL matches have never been played there....Not since the NRL was formed.

I don't give a rats if you live there, no sporting franchise has ever succeeded on a regular basis from the Gold Coast, I don't see a reason why that would change any time soon. Even the great Queenslander Artie Beetson has publicly stated this.

Simon

Andre said:
If the Gold Coast get a team it will be an absolute and utter disgrace. A Team has failed there before - infact, all sports have. It is by and large a tourist product and it won't excatly have much support at home. It would be a travesty to returned to a proven graveyard by the NRL.

If it is anyone, it has to be the bears, but I think they will keep it as it is.
its a myth that the gold coast team failed, they were in the postivies financially when they cosed they have produced some great juniors and have a large supporter base...

and lord, i know ur only saying NZ should have another team cause u r from there, its just not time for another kiwi side...

Craig

World Traveller
The Broncos played the Warriors a few years ago during one of the NRL season as one of the Broncos home games so you are wrong there.

If they are getting big crowds during pre-season matches and if you see the support maybe, just maybe it could work.

I don't give a stuff what Artie Beetson thinks, just because he was a great player, doesn't make him an expert in every single thing and we should drop to our knees and listen in awe at his gospal.

The guy is entitled to his opinion and so be it.

And what makes you think the Bears will be flaming success either?

nibbs

International Captain
it'll rock if wellington gets it, cause then the warriors can revert back to auckland. which is better name to go by imho

Simon

ye its a shame its australia's competition, really u shouldnt have any teams in our competition, i know for a fact that if the warriors are successful in the long term both on the field and financially the NRL wont kee a side there....

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
mate financially we are quite well.. and we do give a lot of competition to aim for even though its only 1 side we have in the NRL.. dont be so damn arrogant..
it pays to see some good battles out there on the ground..

Simon

look, money doesnt last forever, if its managed well u will survive, but i dont know how a second bew zealand side can be justified, i mean since 1995 you have made 3 semi finals and this season will be about the 5th or 6th u have finished in the bottom 4, to me that suggests the talent isnt good enough to supply another side...

Simon

it only takes him to pull out and put his money somewhere else, business men are like that....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It should definately be the Gold Coast. The NRL need to get into the area before AFL rape it. The Coast has changed heaps since they were kicked out last time, there is a new road that goes past Carrara which will make it easier to get to the games, and now with Robina train station it is easy to go from Brisbane and catch shuttle buses from Robina. When the Broncos played the Warriors there it was a huge success.

Beetson only cares about one thing - The ROOSTERS, he can see the coast as taking some Roosters players, he won't like it, as far as I'm concerned that guy is more one-eyed than Gould.

Craig

World Traveller
That is saying something Kyle considering he is a Queenslander and we know how much you support them.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
That is saying something Kyle considering he is a Queenslander and we know how much you support them.
Beetson even puts the Roosters ahead of Queensland. I respect him as a player, but not as retired commenter on the game.

He hates the Broncos, I would have thought he would have loved a team to compete with them.