• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
One thing i dont like about FM, rewards teams for not having a midfield, 5 man attack seems to be favoured.
Disagree with this, I feel the midfield battle is vital, this is why I only play one up top these days.

Admittedly with the attacking tactics that I usually employ, the mentalities and forward runs and so on usually mean that five or six players pour forward whenever we have the ball.

cpr

International Coach
Drew 0-0 at home to Fulham, who won their game in hand, so its a straight fight on the final day to stay up, i'm a point ahead, but squeaky bum time. I've got a trip to villa, there at home to Pompey.

Think i might play it safe and go for the draw, as my goal difference is too bad to stay up if its level on points, wouldnt put a draw past them so i need the point, will happily take a 0-0 at Villa

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Next person to post (regardless of if you have before) will pick my team Schalke and Newcastle tied as I fliped a coin and Sledgers vote went to Fiorentina. Any team I listed.

GO NOW

cpr

International Coach
Newcastle, go for it, reckon it'll be fun to see you make them into a force as opposed to a farce.

cpr

International Coach
Well what a last day to the season, needed to better Fulhams result to stay up, I'm 2-1 down on 84 minutes at Villa, there 0-0

85 minutes Chopra equalises, 2-2. I'm staying up

89 min Fulham take the lead, i'm buggered.

Have a look at FT and Wigan lose to a 90th minute goal to Liverpool, didnt see I was tied on points with them, so they went down instead of me!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Am thinking a 4-3-3 formation would be more than useful.

Something like...

Given
Carr/Beye - Taylor - Rozenhal/Cacapa - N'Zogbia

Butt/Barton

Smith - Emre

Martins - Viduka - Owen

Given GK
Carr RB
Taylor CB
Rozenhal/Cacapa CB
N'Zogbia LB
Butt/Barton DM
Smith CM
Emre CM
Martins ST
Owen ST
Viduka ST

You'll also have the advantage of being able to bring Duff and Milner off thebench to run at tired defences.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any improvements in tactics you guys can think of?
Personally, I've found that giving too many midfield players too much creative freedom isn't the greatest idea (like you've done with Ronaldo, Nani & Anderson). Arguably ended up with a less potent attack because of it.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Personally, I've found that giving too many midfield players too much creative freedom isn't the greatest idea (like you've done with Ronaldo, Nani & Anderson). Arguably ended up with a less potent attack because of it.
Yip give Ronaldo lots but drop Nani and Anderson down.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Retox, if you're looking for good young central midfielder for Newcastle, go for Luigi Bruins (y). He plays in Holland for Feyenoord (or it might be Herenveen), has been carving it up for me in teh Dutch national team.

Craig

World Traveller
My Inter side included:

Julio Cesar, Francesco Toldo, Javier Zanetti, Valon Behrami, Marco Materazzi, Christoph Metzelder, Cristian Chivu, Fabio Grosso, Fernando Belluschi, Dejan Stankovic, David Silva, Ricardo Quaresma, Rafeel van der Vaart, Antonio Di Natale, Yaya Toure, Andrea Pirlo, Esteban Cambiasso, Francesco Bolzoni, David Sauzo, Zlatan Ibramhimovic, Thierry Henry, Ezequiel Lavezzi.

Gee no wonder I carved up.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My current side:

James

Hoyte Campbell Stefanovic Taylor

Mendes/Diaby

<-----Garvan Fernandes Figo------->

O'Neill

Benjani​

Bit of an odd formation, but it works for me, kept me up last season, then I discarded it as it wasn't workiong in pre-season, I put this down to the players that had left (Maldonado was my Dm and Kranjcar my AM, they made my team tick) but since I switched to this I've hauled myself off the bottom and started playing well, and young Owen Garvan is on fire. Gun.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha I had kept hold of Garvan for quite a while on my Ipswich game, then he left, and that was the last time I bothered with that particular save.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's a gun on 07, one of my most intutive buys of a youngster in all my time playing the game actually, since I found Lionel Morgan on 03-04, well there was Drissa Diarra on the handheld version, not counting that though

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Might be worth taking a look at Danny Haynes who also plays for Ipswich, he's a pretty lethal finisher and can usually be captured on loan or on the cheap.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Should get rid of Carr and Smith asap if you're playing as Newcastle, tbh. And surely Enrique's better than N'Zogbia as LB?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
iirc N'Zogbia is a really good winger on FM08, stupidly becomes really highly valued after playing for a few months, didnt think he was much of a left back though.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Safely achieved promotion from National in my first season with Clermont which should ease our financial woes, but just lost a game leaving me three points behind Laval with two games to go. We play each other at my place on the last day of the season, so it looks as though I'm going to need to win both my remaining games to win the league.