• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Its pretty sweet, prefer it over the PC version actually. This way i can play it while im talking here.

It has a lot less of the little things, its just basically form a team and play.
you could do that with the PC version if you had a good enough machine configured correctly, would never touch the PSP version myself, too many features missed out, just picking a team and playing represents no real challenge whatsoever, much like the old LMA series, PC all the way for mine.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
New season is halfway through, I am a rather embarrasing 11th (though this isn't as bad as it sounds, I have games in hand due to the World Club Championship). Even so though, I have never really been able to produce a totally dominant side that win the title year-in-year-out since CM01/02, which annoys me somewhat - I have won the Premiership 4 times in 10 years (and the CL 5 times).

EDIT: Finished 7th. Got further youth in over the summer for a completely new-look side from the one that won the CL two seasons ago. Just finished the season, finished 11th (though I did get to the semi in the UEFA Cup). Board happiness only on satisfied now, and supporters feel a new manager is necessary. Clearly this isn't too good, however my scouts (all of whom are top notch) have assured me that all of my signings have the potential, so we'll have to wait and see in the upcoming seasons.
haha better start turning things around pronto, I find that once you get into the "board members are satisfied territory" it quickly declines into the real danger of being sacked zone, esspecially if you those the fans, in my experience (although only ever been sacked twice in any of the FM games, barring stupid ultimatums to the board) once you have lost the fans the writing really is on the wall, what year are you in atm?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
haha better start turning things around pronto, I find that once you get into the "board members are satisfied territory" it quickly declines into the real danger of being sacked zone, esspecially if you those the fans, in my experience (although only ever been sacked twice in any of the FM games, barring stupid ultimatums to the board) once you have lost the fans the writing really is on the wall, what year are you in atm?
2026 now. The fans seem to have given me a chance though, they're back up to pleased after a 6th placed finish last season and a couple of big-name signings in the following summer for the first time in a while. The board have now only asked for a respectable league position the last couple of years, whereas the fans want me to win the league every year, so how they're now pleased I don't know.

Realistically looking at my squad I've got very little chance of mounting a title challenge in the next couple of years but should I survive them, I reckon I've got a lot of potential now. 12 games in and I'm 6th with a game in hand. Most worrying however is that there is a consortium looking for a takeover. Never been manager of a club when this has happened before - do they usually try and install a new manager?

EDIT: Problems averted. Takeover didn't happen, and finished the league season in 3rd, meaning European Cup football returns to St. James' for the first time in four years. Should also have won the UEFA Cup, but lost in the final to Sheffield United despite dominating. Game was drawn 2-2, and we're ****e at penalties.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Playing as Chelsea in FM Handheld 2008. As i dont like Chelsea i put the whole team on the market and sold most of them. My team is now looking rather decent.

Code:
		Cech
Marcelo		Ben-Haim	Sergio Ramos
	Aissati		Micah Richards
Fabregas	Jesus Navas	Lionel Messi
	Rooney		Bojan
600m transfers in 540m transfers out. Rooney cost me 110, Messi 100, Fabregas 90. All in AUD.
Why'd you pick Chelsea then?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Get innnn.

Following the 3rd place last season, more signings were made in the summer - two big names from Chelsea, and a few more young prospects. Upon these signings, the team has just seemed to click. In an epic season, I stormed to the title by 9 points (my tally was 83, and United were my nearest challengers on 74). My most emphatic league win so far, done with an extremely young side. Should also have won the FA Cup but for the second time in two seasons lost a cup fina despite dominating, this time to Sheffield Wednesday, who completed a Championship and FA Cup double. Went out in the quarters of the CL, which helped in the run-in as I was having a break while United were winning the CL.

Two things to note: Manchester City had won the Prem in 5 out of the last 6 years (three in a row, one year off, then the last two). However this season they appointed an ageing Mourinho and came 7th. And secondly, I have now played enough FM for the time being. Time to find that life...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Returned to FM as a final long session before Crimbo. First season back was a continuation of the form of last season, and became my most successful season on any FM/CM game ever - didn't lose a game all season, and won the Quadruple. Obviously couldn't ever beat that, but next season I retained the Treble, giving up the Mickeymouse Cup to le Arse. Following season saw us struggle to score goals, and we came 3rd, winning only the FA Cup. Season afterwards saw us struggle not to let them in, we came 2nd and won nothing. The following season saw a return to past successes, as I won the Treble again, the league was a canter, and I didn't really look in trouble in the other competitions either. Season afterwards was less dominant but still successful - won the league by one point over Citeh on the last day at the City of Manchester stadium, and the CL was retained - though Citeh made up somewhat for missing out on the league by winning the FA Cup. I went out in the 3rd round to Hartlepool. Just finished the most recent season, and a return of scoring troubles. I managed a pitiful 34 goals in 38 games and came 6th due to my defence. Lost in the CL final and won the FA Cup, making up for last season's loss to Citeh. I fear my period of dominance has ended, as the youth players who came through are mostly late 20s now and want new challenges.

And yes, I have had **** all else to do all day...

cpr

International Coach
out of interest, how many leagues are you running?

Tends to take me a month to do a season at best, run quite a lot of leagues, like as many stats as possible to be accurate (find only running english league means England dominates International/Euro footie)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
England, Italy and Spain. I save time as much as possible - going on holiday between games, don't watch highlights, and so on. A season usually takes about 4 hours, and I was playing it fairly solidly yesterday (and the night before). Only time I take a while is in the summer, signing players, but even then I only take about a week to get/sell who I want, put them on the right training and so on. Then holiday it to the start of the season.

Will start FM08 tomorrow, a bit of editor work should put Chelmsford up to the Blue Square South.

roseboy64

I run the English, American, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Scottish, Argentinian, Brazilian, Dutch, South African and I think the South Korean leagues. No way a season takes 4 hours for me.

roseboy64

Disadvantages in length of time but advantages in that more players and also makes my players I send out on loan better.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I run the English, American, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Scottish, Argentinian, Brazilian, Dutch, South African and I think the South Korean leagues. No way a season takes 4 hours for me.
Only reason I bother with the Italian and Spanish leagues is to try and keep the CL at a reasonable standard.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Only reason I bother with the Italian and Spanish leagues is to try and keep the CL at a reasonable standard.
yeah agree with this, although I also run them in case a decent job comes up abroad that I may move for. I generally run 3-5 leagues most of the time, if i played it for 2 hours a day it would probably take 3 days perhaps to do a season, although depends how much time i spend playing with all the menus etc... if I went on holiday and left my PC on for 4 hours I imagine it probably would have done more than an entire season. Although got to say I hardly ever use the holiday feature, I find that if you go on holiday rather than do the pre-season friendlies your team plays really badly against lesser opposition even though the tactics/team selection are the same.

that said, how are you finding FM08 Halsey?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Initial reaction is that I prefer 07. I find that the team that dominates in terms of shots loses far too often. Obviously this should happen occasionally but not with the regularity it seems to happen to me at the moment. If I was dominating posession but having less shots I would look into my tactics but that's not the case currently. Ah well, it may well prove to be a random run. Due to doing other stuff haven't got too far in yet, first season, am mid-table, most of my signings with Chelmsford's budget have been free transfer youths.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i assume you have patched it? But yeah I find that does happen from time to time, but the team who should win usually does, results seem realistic to me most of the time but havent played all that much really.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Indeed it is patched. I do like the game, and maybe it will turn out to just be a freak run, but it is annoying to say the least to dominate matches and lose, because with a side like Chelmsford you don't dominate too many. Admittedly this has worked both ways, I have won matches I have been murdered in, but generally happens a bit too often so far IMO. Anyway over the next few days I should have a bit more time for an extended play.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
A bit of a run has seen Chelmsford climb to 3rd in the Blue Square South, however I am randomly £180000 in debt. It's deteriorated so rapidly that I didn't notice until the board brought it up. My only major expense is wages, and I'm comfortably under the wage budget... oh dear.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Picked up a secondhand copy of FM 2007 yesterday for £1. Used to play all the old CM games but I haven't done so since Eidos and Sports Interactive split - very impressed so far though. I'm with Halifax Town in the Conference - haven't managed to find the right formation or all of the players that I want yet so I'm struggling a bit towards the bottom of the table, but I have just got into the 3rd round of the FA Cup after thrashing League 1 Rotherham 4-1. Does anyone have any good tips for a newbie?