• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

cpr

International Coach
Thought for my first half-challenge on FM12 is to make something out of Villa. Not too difficult with Bent, N'Zogbia, Albrighton (i'm hoping - do rate him IRL).... However watching them ATM it does seem like a challenge

£8m to spend, but the wage bill is nearly maxed out, at one point the max I could offer in wages was £3000

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of my best ever games there, 3-1 down at Half Time to league leaders Man United. Came back to win 4-3 with RVP netting the winner in the 86th minute. Clung on for dear life from then on, started getting a bit twitchy when the clock was ticking past the 96th minute despite there only meaning to be 4 minutes of injury time. Fletcher getting himself sent off and me chucking on an extra defender might have had something to do with it though.
2 points off the top now and 7 straight wins in the league.

cpr

International Coach
Well signed Yaya Sanogo, £2.5m - yet states unavailable for each league match - 18, so shouldn't need registering (did anyway), only other club was Auxerre, so not too many in the last year, not away on international duties, or playing in other reserve matches.... Cant figure out why I can't play him

---
Edit: turns out theres an undisclosed injury in the database, keeping him out till sept, even though you can sign him and play him in friendlies.....

Last edited:

Pothas

Haha, on a somewhat related note, what happens if you slag off the chairman in an interview? I always get asked what my relationship with the chairman is like, and always say it's good or decline to answer. Can you get sacked if you say he's a **** or whatever?

I'm wondering how it is actually possible to have a good or bad relationship with the Chairman in these games, as you can't interact. Shame they took the old "issue an ultimatum" feature out of the game tbh.
Nothing as good as Premier manager, arguing with the Chairman all too easy on that.

Has that facility to ask for extra money to get a particular player ever worked? Dave Whelan never has no matter how well I've been doing. In January now and need a striker, top 4 an outside possibility, be very happy witn 6th though.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a bit different being Vauxhall compared to Tottenham. All my players are part-time and the most I can offer a player as a wage is £140 a week.

Any tips, obviously aiming to go through the leagues. Furball, given you've been climbing up with Clyde what should I do. I've started by cutting some deadwood to reduce the wage bill.
I got a wee bit lucky in that my scouts recommended me a striker who was far too good for the 3rd division - scored 42 league goals and carried me to a degree in my first season.

Utilise loan signings where you can - most of the big clubs will have plenty of players who'll never be good enough for them but who'll be more than good enough for the level you're at. The plus side as well is that they'll cost you **** all in wages.

Pothas

Love when you get that striker that is way too good. Had Angelo Balanta for Sailsbury a couple of years ago and he destroyed the Conferance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nothing as good as Premier manager, arguing with the Chairman all too easy on that.

Has that facility to ask for extra money to get a particular player ever worked? Dave Whelan never has no matter how well I've been doing. In January now and need a striker, top 4 an outside possibility, be very happy witn 6th though.
I had it work with Coventry, unfortunately the player didn't turn out as good as hoped and we went down on the last day of the season. Considering the current position of the club I'd have considered that a successful season but didn't stop me getting the sack.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Haha, I remember sometimes on Premier Manager you could be interviewed by a Journalist who would ask you what your relationship with the Chairman was like, and if you said that he was an idiot the Journalist would start shouting and you and gesturing aggressively and then ask you to leave the restaurant. Strange game. Still reminisce about it from time to time.

I've asked for money successfully quite a few times on Football Manager though, usually only when there is a large surplus in the Club's accounts though.

Worse is when you ask the board to negotiate a transfer for you, I'm always very apprehensive about that. Always seems that if they say yes they'll sign the player in question at a vastly inflated price and give him obscenely high wages. Then when this inevitably tips the wage budget into the red you're the one who gets hauled over the coals for it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah and then you almost feel obliged to select him because of it, which tbf is probably what it's like for real-life managers.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha, on a somewhat related note, what happens if you slag off the chairman in an interview? I always get asked what my relationship with the chairman is like, and always say it's good or decline to answer. Can you get sacked if you say he's a **** or whatever?

I'm wondering how it is actually possible to have a good or bad relationship with the Chairman in these games, as you can't interact. Shame they took the old "issue an ultimatum" feature out of the game tbh.
Nothing.

In FM11 the chairman accepted a bid of £8m for Xherdan Shaqiri as being "too good to turn down" - the press asked me if the rumours that I'd had nothing to do with the sale were true, and I absolutely slated the chairman. Nothing came of it.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It's a bit different being Vauxhall compared to Tottenham. All my players are part-time and the most I can offer a player as a wage is £140 a week.

Any tips, obviously aiming to go through the leagues. Furball, given you've been climbing up with Clyde what should I do. I've started by cutting some deadwood to reduce the wage bill.
I basically just look at loads of players both manually and through any decent scout I can find. Sign them to 1 or 2 year contracts and bring in new players when we're promoted. Age doesn't matter only ability. Usually try and get as many players as possible who are ranging from good enough for the division above to decent for the division. Sign loads of players. Short contracts so if I have to release some it's not too much of a drain on the club. Of course signing good enough players is costly but it's what you have to do to get up the leagues quickly.

Basically scout and sign lots of players and refresh the squad when promoted to ensure you can compete for the top of the division even if you're newly promoted. Risky but worth it.

roseboy64

Oh and for those who questioned the coach thing, you have to follow the guidelines now. 8 first team coaches is what they set? Follow it. Only 7 general coaches? Well only 7 can be signed as that.

Johnners

Oh and for those who questioned the coach thing, you have to follow the guidelines now. 8 first team coaches is what they set? Follow it. Only 7 general coaches? Well only 7 can be signed as that.
....It says 21, and I only have 10 - there's a slight disparity.

roseboy64

You're misunderstanding. I'm talking about category of coaches i.e first team, general coach, youth, etc. There are guidelines on the boardroom page to follow.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Haha, I remember sometimes on Premier Manager you could be interviewed by a Journalist who would ask you what your relationship with the Chairman was like, and if you said that he was an idiot the Journalist would start shouting and you and gesturing aggressively and then ask you to leave the restaurant. Strange game. Still reminisce about it from time to time.
:laugh:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Another funny thing you could do was bully your Physio into resigning after repeatedly saying how **** he was until he broke down into tears. Not sure what the point of being able to do that was, but it was sure as hell funny.

cpr

International Coach
Gah, despite fudging the transfer budget, giving me an extra £100k a week, I can still only offer a first teamer £8250 a week (up from £6250). Not gonna get anyone in the prem with that. But If I say they are a key player, they can have all £100k