• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Been years since I played one where I had a player get a drugs ban. Like they've all cleaned up their act or something. FFS.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I wonder if it's a legal thing. Can't imagine a player in real life would appreciate being associated with a drugs ban, even if it was an entirely fictional one. Might raise some awkward questions for the developers as to how they determine which in game players are more likely to take drugs than others...Or maybe it is only regens who get these kind of bans, as iirc when I last looked at the editor for the previous version of FM the option for a drug related ban was still listed in the potential options for player suspensions...

Have hear stories of players dying in games as well, through incidents such as a car crash or something. Not sure if this is really part of the game or just internet gossip though, never experienced it myself and never seen it confirmed by an official source, not that I've looked for such a thing mind you.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, had a mate tell me he had a player banned for 18 months for fracturing another player's skull once but reckoned he was making it up, never seen anything like that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Been an age since I had a player suffer a career-ending injury too tbf, not that I want to experience that, unless it's a dodgy signing I can't get rid of :ph34r:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Been an age since I had a player suffer a career-ending injury too tbf, not that I want to experience that, unless it's a dodgy signing I can't get rid of :ph34r:
Has only happened to me once, think it was Lee Naylor when I was playing as Wolves.

On the same game I had also signed Richard Dunne, and for some reason, for no reason I could work out, his fitness just kept decreasing every week, until eventually he was on 0%. Despite not carrying any injury and the physio saying he was raring to go....Never did work that one out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I loved Premier Manager 98 on the PS1...had a player get a career ending injury...only thing is when players retired on that game, they got regenerated as 17 year olds with everything else identical barring the name. Including the injury. So my youngster who replaced the retiree started his career by being out for 32 weeks with cruciate ligament damage. Happy days.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, I remember Pothas and I would spend whole weekends playing the two player version of that. Those were truly great days.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Been years since I played one where I had a player get a drugs ban. Like they've all cleaned up their act or something. FFS.
There was one CM where players started with drugs bans (think it was around 2000 or 2001 when half the Dutch team seemed to be serving bans for taking nandrolone) and obviously Rio Ferdinand would have been serving a ban at the start of FM2005, but I don't think they have it set so that players get it in game. I think it would be too much of a legal issue.

cpr

International Coach
I wonder if it's a legal thing. Can't imagine a player in real life would appreciate being associated with a drugs ban, even if it was an entirely fictional one. Might raise some awkward questions for the developers as to how they determine which in game players are more likely to take drugs than others...Or maybe it is only regens who get these kind of bans, as iirc when I last looked at the editor for the previous version of FM the option for a drug related ban was still listed in the potential options for player suspensions...

Have hear stories of players dying in games as well, through incidents such as a car crash or something. Not sure if this is really part of the game or just internet gossip though, never experienced it myself and never seen it confirmed by an official source, not that I've looked for such a thing mind you.
Basically, yes. The producers were very conscious about legal action for random events that could be misconstrued to make someone look like a drugs cheat
(Miles in particular, but then he always was a shirty ****!). It was decided not to program them in as a random event just in case. They also felt it'd take the fun away from a game if your flying high then lose your star striker to something completely bizzare and random as that - You may accept an injury as unlucky, but a drugs ban wouldn't go down as well.

Likewise player deaths were never on the agenda for the reasons above times ten. There was talk of putting serious illness in (think it was about 2000 that a Millwall player was out for a year with testicular cancer) but it was scrapped. Career ending injuries were in for a period about CM3 time, they tended to crop up for the serial sicknote who suffered recurring injuries, but again were quietly dropped.

Stuff that DID happen would be put in, hence why they are still in the editor data for injury/ban lists - as a said the Milwall player with his cancer, I'm sure Ferdinand was given an in-game ban, as was Mutu (might've been one put in a patch though, as it was part way through a season)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, probably for the best if you ask me. All of these sorts of near the knuckle issues would be pretty dodgy if they were included.

I think career-ending injuries should have been kept in though. They are potentially things that could be suffered by anyone. Might be annoying for the person playing the game though I suppose.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, probably for the best if you ask me. All of these sorts of near the knuckle issues would be pretty dodgy if they were included.

I think career-ending injuries should have been kept in though. They are potentially things that could be suffered by anyone. Might be annoying for the person playing the game though I suppose.
I don't think career-ending injuries happen that often in real life though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beat Chelsea to pull within a point of United - Yay
Then :
Lose to Newcastle
Lose to Udinese when you only need a point to win the group
Get drawn against Barcelona
Lose to United
Draw with bottom of the league QPR
ffs

cpr

International Coach
Tend to be the young player who never got chance to get near his potential, and lost vital years of development, or the old timer who's bodies half knackered and CBA dropping down the divisions. Many come back from awful injuries a shadow of their former self (which the game does recognise in drops in actual ability compared to potential)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Player is in talks with 2 clubs - me at Clyde and Dundee.

I have already won the 1st Division so will be playing in the SPL next season, Dundee sit 9th and could get relegated to the 2nd Division.

Player picks Dundee because they're a bigger club. Wtf?

Also, why do CPU clubs never give young players professional contracts? Makes it impossible to loan them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've had to start ignoring my coaches when deciding whether to give 17 y/os a contract as they never ever ever think the player will make the cut. Have to use a bit more judgement but don't want to risk losing gems.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I do this as well, the coaching staff tend to be a pain in the arse a lot of the time. Scouts seem to be equally dodgy. Even those who have ratings of 20 in judging potential and ability sometimes say that a player will be crap, but who I know from past experience of playing the game will turn out to be good. Similarly they say the opposite about players who are crap, but they insist are world beaters. The fact that they seem to change their mind about players every 3 months is a pain as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've never really had a problem with scouts. It's when you have a backroom meeting and a coach or assistant says 'scout player X, he's quite good' and then the scouting report says he has the potential to be a good player in the league 2 levels below where you're playing that's annoying.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ever find a coach randomly saying someone needs to be dropped when you've been really pleased with them?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think coaches recommend players to be dropped purely on their average rating, which can be quite annoying. Always a bit stupid when a player who has had an average to poor last 5 games gets a hat-trick and then the coach comes along and says he's been playing badly and should be dropped.