• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Had no problems with activating my FM09

Starting off jobless is a real challenge.. I'm playing 4-4-2 bog standard at the moment, and as I'm an absolute mug tactically would appreciate any advice.. Having a fairly good season, about Mid Table in a side that is so poor even I could play in it..

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Playing as Man City, pumped up their cash and bought players in the positions that needed strengthening
Team lines up as:
GK: Buffon
DR: Richards
DC: Dunne
DC: Metzelder
DL: Lahm
MR: Elano
ML: Joe Cole
MC: Steven Gerrard
MC: Barry
SC: Robinho
SC: Ibrahimovic

Craig

World Traveller
Playing as Man City, pumped up their cash and bought players in the positions that needed strengthening
Team lines up as:
GK: Buffon
DR: Richards
DC: Dunne
DC: Metzelder
DL: Lahm
MR: Elano
ML: Joe Cole
MC: Steven Gerrard
MC: Barry
SC: Robinho
SC: Ibrahimovic
How much money did you have? Selling Ireland, Garrido, and Petrov to try and bring in Axel Witsel(l?), Mario Balotelli and Cristian Molinaro in return. I have signed Oscar Ustari from Getafe and I will look at Sergio Asenjo instead of Joe Hart. I might sell Elano, I don't know.

Simon

595m pounds

Gerrard cost me 118m, Ibrahimovic 88m, Buffon 57m, Cole 56m, others around 20-30m. Currently looking at getting wayne rooney in, he has accepted the contract etc... I can afford the 112m pound price tag, its just going to put me way over my wage bill.

Im just not getting goals out of Robinho at the moment and Saviola isnt doing much as back up, Scott McDonald has come off the bench and scored a few but when Ibrahimovic is injured/suspended etc... we cant score goals.

Simon

in the first lol, i pumped it up a little. was a just a little challenge to see what sort of team I could build. Im still thinking about who im going to have my first proper game with.

Craig

World Traveller
Top of the table after 3 games with Man City. Beat Liverpool 3-0 at home with Robinho who scored a goal by just standing in the box and with Riena off his line he just lobbed it back into net to put me 3-0 up. I'm also the vast majority of my players favoured personal or one of already.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Found out something interesting yesterday. The quality of coaches only has to do with how many players they can coach. The key for player improvement is training facilities and matches played really. Mental stats only matter for the Ass Man. The stars for coaches determine how many they can coach. A 7 star coach can hadnle say 35 while a 3 star can handle 15. So theoretically you could have 16 crap coaches putting two each on a training category to keep the workload light and the players will progress the same as if you had 8 high quality expensive coaches.

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/downloads/TTF_Documents_Tactics.zip
http://defectivemind.com/solihullexperience/wp-content/uploads/ttf_documents_tactics.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/164360034/TTF_Documents_Tactics.rar
http://www.football-manager.info/fileplanet/file/Tactical-Theorems-and-Frameworks-_09.html

Those links are to the Tactics Bible for FM09. Explains the basics of FM09 tactics and is endorsed by the head of match engine design at SI. Best thing out there to improve your tactics. I thought I was decent at tactics but then I read that.....

Simon

From the little ive read on some forums it seems some people say this game is harder than the previous versions. I kind of agree but disagree in another way. I find I win about the same etc... the major difference is that very few games are won easily. On FM08 when you had a gun team it was easier to beat the lower teams 4-0 or 5-0, these games are now 1-0 or 2-1. Ive probably played around 100-130 matches now and have won probably less than 20 games by more than 1 goal.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
Ok i just got FM09 and i have installed the patch but it still won't ****ing work so if anyone has any advice please drop me a line.

PS: I've tried downloading DirectX 10

Simon

Ok i just got FM09 and i have installed the patch but it still won't ****ing work so if anyone has any advice please drop me a line.

PS: I've tried downloading DirectX 10
What is it doing? Or more accurately, what isnt it doing?

pinchy81

When i click Launch Game it comes up with

Cannot Run Game: Failed to set up graphics system

maybe its microsoft's fault for not allowing me to actually download DirectX 10

and the bad news is i can't return the game because the place from where i bought it doesn't except refund's for PC games

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Don't need a graphics card good enough to run 3D to run the game TBH. He probably needs to download the DirectX SDK. Had to do that with the demo when I installed the demo patch. Applied the patch before running the full game but I would assume similar applies.Can't run 3D ATM but can run the game.

pinchy81

Yeah Rose was right, i needed the SDK which Microsoft wouldn't let my computer download so i got my friend to download it for me and now it works fine except for the 3D but i never wanted to play that anyway.

Thanks for all your help though guys

EDIT: Interesting the title bar reads Football Manager 09, the case reads Football Manager 09 but the game itself refers to itself as WorldWide Soccer Manager

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loving the 3d tbh. Makes me "feel" the game a lot better, copping goals hurts more now than ever, the anger every time we lose possesion or miss an easy interception burns like I was watching a real game.

But there has to be an injury bug in the game. I thought my players got injured a lot in previous editions but this one just takes the case. Never really bothered with short term loans at a big club but might just have to now.

Simon

Havent used the 3D engine since about the third day I had this game.

I find defending on this game easier than any other FM/CM, I actually use a fairly attacking formation but dont score a lot of goals and dont concede that many.
Currently 4th in the EPL after 26 games, have only scored 35 goals which is about 15 less than the other big clubs, but only let in 14, which is about 5-10 less than the others in the top 4 or 5.

Craig

World Traveller
Got knocked out by Man United in the Carling Cup. It was 1-1 and despite the 6 minutes of injury time had expired, the ref CBF calling full-time and let play go on for another two minutes, and Wes Brown scored the winner. ****.

We woz robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!