• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeh think I will, the missus is babbysitting tonight so ill have time to get some quality FMing done, plus I still think it was her who snapped my 2008 disk so im entitled to splash out a little for 09.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Have checked the official forum and it seems most people are having a good time with the game. Probably a good thing I don't have it yet as I should really start studying this weekend.

Simon

Ended up buying it after work and think its fairly solid. So far it seems pretty much the same as FM2008 with a few bits added on here and there. Am enjoying the 3D match engine which is a surprise as I never used the 2D match engine on the other FM's and kept it on text like the original CM's. Anyway at this stage I like the 3D bit but think if it becomes the same all the time I'll probably go back to just text.

Ok the only concern I have with it now is the player stats. From what I am encountering there has been very little change of the players stats since 08. Usually from version to version there are players that are better/worse but so far they all seem the same.

Also enjoying the player match ratings.

cpr

International Coach
Dont like the new ratings, think its a bit too much, only using 3D after the match to see the goals (always play matches on full speed, so bit annoying i have to flick it back down to normal for the highlights - why they've done away with 2 slide bars i dunno)

Game had it for £27, most places do. Enjoying it ATM

roseboy64

Something about usability studies and new users beingh confused by two sliders. Must have asked a bunch of idiots.

Getting mine for £23.89.

Simon

Championship Manager. The inferior cousin to FM, Football Manager around which most of the discussion now takes place.
Except when this thread was started it was all about CM 01/02 which if we are fair dinkum we all realise is still the best football management game ever.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Championship Manager. The inferior cousin to FM, Football Manager around which most of the discussion now takes place.
Except when this thread was started it was all about CM 01/02 which if we are fair dinkum we all realise is still the best football management game ever.
You're a fool Xavier. CM is FM, but it's complicated by the fact Eidos or Sega or whoever kept the naming rights so there's still a CM game out there.

Simon's spot on, only play CM01/02 and the updates knocking about for it are gun and well maintained so there's no reason to move on yet.

roseboy64

So missing out on the option of actually seeing your players do something and changing tactics accordingly.

Simon

The more I'm playing FM09 the more im indecisive about it. The things like the 3D pitch and assistant manager feedback are great but sometimes it feels like there is too much going on. Particuarly in regards to the assisant feedback, he is telling you so many different things, am I supposed to change my tactics accordingly to make him happy? The way the game is going theres not going to be much point managing as the assistant does it all.

A further update on the players stats, very very disapointed with this, they are all pretty much exactly the same as 08, at least on FM games you could always count on a data update, but not this time.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The more I'm playing FM09 the more im indecisive about it. The things like the 3D pitch and assistant manager feedback are great but sometimes it feels like there is too much going on. Particuarly in regards to the assisant feedback, he is telling you so many different things, am I supposed to change my tactics accordingly to make him happy? The way the game is going theres not going to be much point managing as the assistant does it all.
You don't have to follow him, there's more than one way of winning the same game. Obviously he isn't always right either, depending on his tactical awareness I presume.

With regards to the research and data, I didn't play the demo for long enough to have a look at the other sides, but I thought the United research was spot on (although possibly under-rating the likes of Possebon, Rafael etc, I hear the research was done in the summer though so that'd explain it). I think it all depends on who the researchers for the various clubs were, I'd assume some have been updated lots and others not at all.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
What is better about CM 01/02 over the current FM games?
Well, both have their advantages, CM 01/02 is highly playable, processes very quickly, and more addictive. The later FMs are probably more complex and thus more realistic, though this means it processes irritatingly slowly, if you're used to 01/02 speed. Of course, it also has the 2D, and 3D now. If you could have 01/02 and add the 2D pitch that would be the perfect version IMO.