• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst it may not be totally necessary, I'm certainly looking foward to the 3D :). Also agree with Halsey re: the Assitant Manager. In the current and past FM games they really are as good as useless, so hopefully the update there makes their feedback etc. more meaningful (and useful, especially the tactical feedback part). Looking foward to it already :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He is at Valencia ATM, although I could be able to get him. Going for a big money bid for Dani Alves as well.

Inflation is definatly a problem in my game, Sergio Agüero was sold to Real Madrid for £40m. Rafeel van der Vaart was offered to me by PSV (he got sold to them in my 1st season) for £23m. Er, no.
Yeah, the ridiculously high transfer fees you see for players who aren't really much good are one of the things I like the least about FM08. It would be fine if it only happened every now and again on really good players, but you see the likes of Justin Hoyte being transfered for £15m on a regular basis, which isn't really the most realistic of moves.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Whilst it may not be totally necessary, I'm certainly looking foward to the 3D :). Also agree with Halsey re: the Assitant Manager. In the current and past FM games they really are as good as useless, so hopefully the update there makes their feedback etc. more meaningful (and useful, especially the tactical feedback part). Looking foward to it already :)
As long as the advice they give is good i'm well in favour of this idea. Personally I found what limited advice they would give in previous versions would be totally stupid, and reccomend you drop half of the best players in your squad because they rate someone else who is clearly the much inferior player. Similarly their advice with team talks is pretty crap as well, it seems to be a rule that if you have about 20 shots on target and dominate the match but by some fluke lose 2-1 they will advise you to tell the team how poor the performance was. Similarly if you manage to get a draw in a tough away game it seems this is still worthy of being deemed "dissapointing".

Johnners

Yeah, I'm not a fan as to how the Assistant manager works now, especially with the team talks, which are pathetic. Everything is either "do it for the fans" "pleased" or "disappointing" as far as team talks go. In my current game with Aston Villa, my assistant deemed that an away 2-0 win against Chelsea was not worthy of anything more than "pleased" for the 2 players that scored the goals 8|. Hopefully the revamp over what the assitant does improves such things though.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Left my disc back at home for the weekend. Had just started a game with Leeds in an attempt to get them back to the Prem, had started well with 3 wins and a draw.

Probably for the best as I have a solid report to write for Monday.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
They were using 3D as said in the video on FM Live and as someone who's played it, it works well enough.

Dr. Pepper

Cricket Spectator
FM09 looks very promising. 3D engine looks very good and considering it's only 50% done then that's even more impressive. A lot of people are saying the AI will be bad in the game because of all the focus on the 3D engine but I reckon it'll be about the same except with some tweaks. The new transfer market code is great, after a while you get ridiculous transfers and this should change it. The press conference thing is very nice. It looks quite in depth and i'm liking the fact that what you say can come back to you. All in all I shall buy this :D.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Will definately wait for the patch to come out before I get close to this tbh, hope it's good, but if they struggled to get FM08 working to a decent standard then I'll wait with baited breath over this.

Johnners

Finished the 07/08 season with Villa in 9th, which was a good result considering how poor our start was. I managed to buy Arshavin in the January transfer window and he, along with Agbonlahor (who finally found some form) lead the way to secure a top half finish. Really need to add some depth/strength accross the poark over the season break though, especially up front, and on the wings (Young and Cani are my only real wide options atm).

Craig

World Traveller
How I would like it would be to show the actual stadium you are playing in, for example I am playing against Bayern Munich in the European Cup (I prefer not to call it the Champions League) and it is at the Allianz Areana, where it shows the greandstands, the banners etc. even with it's 2d option. I realise you would need it for every ground, and it would take a lot of work, but that would be dream change to it. Because unlike the switch from CM03/04 to FM 05, the changes haven't been that significant.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Finished the 07/08 season with Villa in 9th, which was a good result considering how poor our start was. I managed to buy Arshavin in the January transfer window and he, along with Agbonlahor (who finally found some form) lead the way to secure a top half finish. Really need to add some depth/strength accross the poark over the season break though, especially up front, and on the wings (Young and Cani are my only real wide options atm).
Arshavin is a gun signing in the first season. If you've got £7million or so to spend, he's worth every penny. Good work.

Johnners

AWTA

Abusing Pompey aws, wanted to buy Defoe, ****s want 24m 8|

Solved my 'keeper problem after Carson returned to Liverpool on loan though. Got Ustari for 4.2m which was for some stupid reason, his minimum release fee (h). Also picked up Matthew Spiranovic (DC, DM) for 3.5m, Sylvain Marveaux (AM LC) for 8.5, and Paolo Hernan Dellafiore (D RC) for 4.5m.

Almost has Guilherme from Cruzeiro at 14.5m but Inter the ****s put in a last minute bid, which was accepted and the knob signed for them :( So I'm still chasing a striker with around 13m to spend. Almost had Dean Ashton for 5m, but he went to Newcastle, whilst every other time I've bid on a striker, it's been rejected ffs.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
AWTA

Abusing Pompey aws, wanted to buy Defoe, ****s want 24m 8|

Solved my 'keeper problem after Carson returned to Liverpool on loan though. Got Ustari for 4.2m which was for some stupid reason, his minimum release fee (h). Also picked up Matthew Spiranovic (DC, DM) for 3.5m, Sylvain Marveaux (AM LC) for 8.5, and Paolo Hernan Dellafiore (D RC) for 4.5m.

Almost has Guilherme from Cruzeiro at 14.5m but Inter the ****s put in a last minute bid, which was accepted and the knob signed for them :( So I'm still chasing a striker with around 13m to spend. Almost had Dean Ashton for 5m, but he went to Newcastle, whilst every other time I've bid on a striker, it's been rejected ffs.
Guilherme isn't worth the money, didn't play very well for me. Although he did end up England-qualified after not playing for Brazil for five years, so I picked him for England alongside another Brazilian, Sergio Mota. :laugh:

BTW, the only striker you need in FM08 is Rodrigo Palacio. He became a Pompey legend after spending about ten years under my management at the club - in those ten years, he scored over TWO HUNDRED goals. Signed him for £10million in the first season.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
I can second that about Rodrigo Palacio. Not under my managment, but he became a Spurs legend in my game, led them to a couple of ECL/EPL titles.

Johnners

I was referring to the Striker, Guilherme, not the Left Back ftr (although I assume you already figured this)

Managed to sign Moroccan, Marouane Chamakh for a rather pricey 15m. Thing is though, I wasn't going to anything better for that price, such is the ridiculousness of the FM08 transfer market. That being said, he did nail a brace on debut (y)

Weakest position now is probably left back, with Aurelio and Bouma rotating through the position. Can wait until next season though, have already spent 35m on transfers. Possibly made a stuff-up though, Liverpool and Inter just offered me 15m for Gabby Agbonlahor, which I rejected 8|

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I was referring to the Striker, Guilherme, not the Left Back ftr (although I assume you already figured this)

Managed to sign Moroccan, Marouane Chamakh for a rather pricey 15m. Thing is though, I wasn't going to anything better for that price, such is the ridiculousness of the FM08 transfer market. That being said, he did nail a brace on debut (y)

Weakest position now is probably left back, with Aurelio and Bouma rotating through the position. Can wait until next season though, have already spent 35m on transfers. Possibly made a stuff-up though, Liverpool and Inter just offered me 15m for Gabby Agbonlahor, which I rejected 8|
Yeah, the striker. He's alright, bit inconsistent is all.

Johnners

Liverpool now offering 20m for Agbonlahor, which I've accepted.

Reo-Coker gone for 13m to Citeh, Gabby to 'pool for 20m, and then the ****ing useless board accepts a bid of 15m for Barry, who is easily the most valuable to Villa out of all 3. ****s sake :@

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Guilherme isn't worth the money, didn't play very well for me. Although he did end up England-qualified after not playing for Brazil for five years, so I picked him for England alongside another Brazilian, Sergio Mota. :laugh:

BTW, the only striker you need in FM08 is Rodrigo Palacio. He became a Pompey legend after spending about ten years under my management at the club - in those ten years, he scored over TWO HUNDRED goals. Signed him for £10million in the first season.
Yeah Palacio is a fine player. Giampaolo Pazzini got between 35-40 goals for me and was subject to a lot of big money moves, but I said no and he did not complain that I would not let him join Chelsea.

Ajax brought Ricardo Quaresma for £14.5m and now the ***** want £54m for him :laugh:

Johnners

Brought Defoe in for 20m as a direct replacement for Agbonlahor, and he certainly hasn't disappointed, with hattricks against Arsenal & Newcastle in his first two games! (H)

Wilfred Bouma also went for 4m as young Leicester LB, Joe Mattock ,was brought in to replace him for 5m. Whilst Barry went to At. Madrid for 15m, so I needed a MC replacement, but 20m wouldn't get me any of Johnson, Kuzmanovic or Montolivio. So instead I've changed my primary formation back from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 diamond, and grabbed Mario Santana from Deportivo for 15m.

Was quite the hectic transfer window, 8 players in, 6 out. Worst thing is now, despite strenghtening, and adding some depth, I'm having to use reserves as both left midfielders Young & Marveaux are injured, along with Carew & Chamakh, leaving me a striker short 8|