• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Danny Williams king hit

Craig

World Traveller
Did anybody see it?

For those who didn't let me explain it do you. In tonights West Tigers v Melbourne Storm NRL game in Sydney, Melbourne forward Danny Williams is collected high by Mark O'Neill and another Tigers player and is head slammed, Williams gets up and when O'Neill is running back to get back into the Tigers defensive line, and when he is not looking Williams king hits straight into the face and O'Neill goes to the ground out cold.

Melbourne score but that was when the Tigers players were ready to rip into him.

Williams got sent off thankfully and now faces a very very very long time on the sidelines. Thankfully he is off contract and he was to leave the club anyway.

I used to like Williams, I liked his aggresive style, but now I hope he has to play his own way back to Melbourne and I hope no club signs him for next year.

I am a Storm supporter but it was simply too disgraceful.

In saying O'Neill should get a couple of weeks for his high shot.

Waughney

International Debutant
Ah, didn't see it, nevermind I'll see it on the Sunday footy show tommorow, look forward to it :D

Craig

World Traveller
I'm not.

IMO there would have probably been crowd trouble (a riot perhaps) if Williams wasn't sent off.

Waughney

International Debutant
Didn't have any idea it was that bad.
I'll be looking forward to Reg Reagans take on it all on Thursday night, should be good.

Cloete

International Captain
Has anyone heard their new song? Bring Back Biff? It's actually alright... but plain and repetititve. It was like number 15 on video hits.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
That was an absolute disgrace...

Williams whould never play league again after that disgraceful performance...

To chase a player and "king hit" him when he isn't even looking is as low as it comes...
Williams has shown over years that he is a dirty player and nothing has changed, he should GO for a very very long time....

PY

International Coach
Any chances of assault charges being brought? Seem to remember that a UK player had a problem with police over a vicious forearm block masquarading as a tackle.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Very big chance, O'niells Cheekbone is apparently broken...

What is worse in the game we played against them about 8 weeks ago, Williams broke O'Neills Nose with a high shot and got nothing....

I Hope they take him to court over it as he has no defence at all and would be well worth seeing him finally face his dirty actions...

PY

International Coach
So there's history between the two of them? The plot thickens. :wacko:

Can't see it being ignored if it was on national TV as well, big uproar in Australia at the moment?

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well i wouldn't say its history, because incidents on a field happen but this is attroucious...

A perfect extract of events...

O'Neill took Williams high in a two-man tackle about 15 out from Storm line.

Williams gets up, O'Neill at marker, ball is played and goes through a few sets of hands, O'Neill starts to follow play from marker.

Williams steps towards O'Neill and clobbers him with a savage right, then just casually steps over O'Neill as he is semi-concious on the deck.

Storm get across the line and score, but only because half the Tigers side was lining up to take Williams apart!

There is plenty of discussion about it at the moment..
Alot of people are furious...

Langeveldt

Soutie
I remember a threaten of assault charges being laid against a guy when I was playing cricket.. I took two runs, and my batting partner got involved in a tangle with the bowler whilst collecting the ball.. He took a swipe at the bowler with his bat and broke something in the bowlers leg who went down like a sack of potatoes...
Im not sure how it was resolved, but it was messy.. Hope this Aussie guy gets done for all he is worth

Waughney

International Debutant
Waughney said:
Ah, didn't see it, nevermind I'll see it on the Sunday footy show tommorow, look forward to it :D
After seeing it all this morning, I take back what I said. I had the impression it was a fight, but to run up and king hit another player while he is looking away just because he got you high in a tackle is disgraceful and then to say in your defence that you were dazed even though you ran 5 steps to reach and then clobber him? Hope he never plays again.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Waughney said:
After seeing it all this morning, I take back what I said. I had the impression it was a fight, but to run up and king hit another player while he is looking away just because he got you high in a tackle is disgraceful and then to say in your defence that you were dazed even though you ran 5 steps to reach and then clobber him? Hope he never plays again.
On top of that, if Danny Williams copped a King Hit every time he put a high tackle on someone, he would never get off the ground...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact that Williams hit O'Neill isn't that bad, it happens (and should happen) in footy. However, the fact that he actually went after O'Neill was the terrible thing.

It also highlights how crap the refs are in that O'Neill's head high wasn't picked up until the try was scored.

It was an absolutely disgraceful act from Williams and the fact he says he couldn't remember what happened just shows what kind of human being.