• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well that's that…the best player in the field won, great run by mickelson, stenson and fowler…another top 5 for ricky fowler….

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else see Rory's comments re ex-fiancée?

Guy is seriously immature/very badly advised
i saw the comments…he said the breakup enabled him to refocus on golf and is directly responsible for his current run of form…what is wrong with that?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty obvious that sleeping around makes you awesome at golf. He's no doubt banging chicks Tiger style post-Wozniacki and is now dominating.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Rory :wub: What a man. That 280-yard 3 wood to set up his eagle was an absolutely unbelievable shot. No-one in the world can keep up with an on-form Rory McIlroy. So pleased he's got over his tough spell, and is back winning tournaments. BMW PGA, The Open and now the PGA Championship. Superb summer, and I couldn't be anymore pleased for him.

Nice performance from Rickie Fowler too, he's been seriously impressive in the majors this year. T5, T2, T2, and T3. That's bloody impressive. Excited for the Rory-Fowler battles that are going to happen in the next decade, two seriously exciting talents.

Ryder Cup wildcard picks time. Who'd you go for? For Europe I'd go Poulter, Donald and Gallacher; and for the US Woods, Dufner and Snedeker.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rory :wub: What a man. That 280-yard 3 wood to set up his eagle was an absolutely unbelievable shot. No-one in the world can keep up with an on-form Rory McIlroy. So pleased he's got over his tough spell, and is back winning tournaments. BMW PGA, The Open and now the PGA Championship. Superb summer, and I couldn't be anymore pleased for him.

Nice performance from Rickie Fowler too, he's been seriously impressive in the majors this year. T5, T2, T2, and T3. That's bloody impressive. Excited for the Rory-Fowler battles that are going to happen in the next decade, two seriously exciting talents.

Ryder Cup wildcard picks time. Who'd you go for? For Europe I'd go Poulter, Donald and Gallacher; and for the US Woods, Dufner and Snedeker.
definitely not woods, phil gets in after last week's performance…also dufner hasn't done anything this year to get picked…this year's u.s team are significant underdogs…i see europe winning easily...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Phil has already qualified in the Top 9. Tiger will get picked, irrelevant to how he's playing right now, he's the biggest name the US have and I'd be amazed if he doesn't get picked. Dufner's not done a lot, but who else is there? They're not exactly inundated with options. It's 2 of Dufner, Snedeker, Moore, Bradley, Simpson and Stricker I'd say, and I'd go Dufner and Snedeker personally. US have a strong Top 9, but after that, it's pretty slim pickings, they don't have a Ryder cup gun like Poulter to add to their squad.

Edit: Just reading that Kuch might end up pulling out with an injury and Dufner is carrying injuries too. Not looking promising for team US!

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great performance from Rory - gutted it out and played some brilliant stuff really challenged

Mickelson, Stenson and Fowler would be disappointed as they all had the chance to post better numbers than they eventually did

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Yeah the next gen of players really lining up now. Rory and Rickie obviously. But I'd also put Jason Day with them. The lad came back from surgery this year, before that he was a real threat and we saw how he threatened this tournament.

grecian

Golf commentating never ceases to annoy me. They always hate attacking play. Nick Watney (who I may be biased about because I had money on him) was in the semi-rough on the very birdieable par 5 15th. They were practically imploring him to play safe, he did, he made a five on a hole practically all the other contenders birdied or eagled. Then they said what a good and sensible five it was.He was a shot behind, he then needed to birdie one of the tough holes after, this ended up with him having to go big on the last incredibly hard hole and smoking it out of bounds.

What a good decision it was to lay up. FMD. Do or die, even if he'd knocked it in the water at 15 he could have up-and-downed it for the same score, yet he may have hit a brilliant shot and made eagle or birdie.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited:

social

Watched the final stages of the women's LPGA this morning and some of the golf was really poor - not a hard course and conditions were good yet all bar the winner were seriously average in the closing stages

All in all, not a great advertisement for women's golf

King Pietersen

International Captain
Gallacher didn't quite pull it off. Heroic final effort though, given the pressure of the situation, to card a 65 and play as well as he did is so impressive. I really hope he makes the team, he's had a tremendous year, and would be great for him if he was to play. Elsewhere, it's tough to pick. I think Poulter will make it without doubt, his Ryder Cup record is unrivalled, and although he's not had a good year, he has to play. Then, for me, the third spot is between Donald, Westwood and Luiten. The talks of Monty/Langer are nice, but not going to happen. On form, it's Luiten, but wouldn't surprise me if McGinley goes with the experience of Donald. Personally, I'd go with Gallacher, Poulter and Luiten.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Gallacher, Poulter and Westwood get the gig. Surprised he didn't go with Donald or Luiten, but Europe looking incredibly strong!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Donald over Gallacher? Why's that? Stephen's been in superb form all year, and his performance last week, especially on Sunday was superb.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Even if that experienced player is all over the place with his game, and has had a terrible year? It's a golf tournament, pick the best golfers, the golfers in form. Gallacher's been awesome, and deserves his place. Luiten should have made it on form too. Donald > Westwood though. Lee might have more experience, but who'd you rather have standing over a 6 footer for victory?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
donald has been really poor all season whereas westwood has had a few decent finishes…i can see why westwood would be higher on the list…it doesn't really matter in the long run…europe is just too strong and will most likely crush the americans...