• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Riggins

International Captain
Hate him too. Hope I get to watch another Friday collapse tonight. **** he hits the ball a long way though.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Not looking promising for Rory today, conditions are not favourable. If he was ever going to have a bad Friday, today's the day. If he hits it as well as he did yesterday though, I can see him still leading tonight. Some of his approach irons yesterday were magnificent. Could have easily been 9 under if he'd sunk a couple of early chances.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like rory is going to win his first claret jug...also tiger just barely makes the cut...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, Matsuyama and Manassero fallen away badly for me. McIlroy running away with it, but real wind tommorow may be intersting.

Rory hit it 396 on the 17th, so Johnson followed it with 397.:-O

Pothas

Rory in destroy everyone mood then, a shame because otherwise I would rather fancy my chances of making some money on Fowler.

social

Rory in destroy everyone mood then, a shame because otherwise I would rather fancy my chances of making some money on Fowler.
Has played brilliantly but has had all the luck with conditions so far

Part of me loves the Open, the other part reckons it is a complete lottery as changing conditions mean that half the field might as well be playing on a different golf course

grecian

Has played brilliantly but has had all the luck with conditions so far

Part of me loves the Open, the other part reckons it is a complete lottery as changing conditions mean that half the field might as well be playing on a different golf course
Yeah, we know Scott had the worst side of the draw:laugh:

Anyway incredible stuff from Rory Tiger-esque. Those two Eagles, fap-worthy.

social

Yeah, we know Scott had the worst side of the draw:laugh:

Anyway incredible stuff from Rory Tiger-esque. Those two Eagles, fap-worthy.
And Rose, etc

Obviously depends on your biases but I always find it a bit frustrating when someone like Coetzee arguably plays the best round of the day yet still loses a lot of ground on the leader

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
that's not just links golf though, it can happen anywhere and the good and bad breaks kind of balance themselves out over the course of a long enough career…rory simply has been the most explosive, spectacular player in golf since tiger in his heyday, there are so many good to great players in the game now but no one else comes close to him when he is on top of his game…if he maintains his focus and health, there is nothing to stop him from winning double-digit majors...

grecian

that's not just links golf though, it can happen anywhere and the good and bad breaks kind of balance themselves out over the course of a long enough career…rory simply has been the most explosive, spectacular player in golf since tiger in his heyday, there are so many good to great players in the game now but no one else comes close to him when he is on top of his game…if he maintains his focus and health, there is nothing to stop him from winning double-digit majors...
Yep to say that only one side of the draw getting the worst of it is an Open thing, is just silly, and shows up bias. In fact I'd say it generally works out fine, Morning easier Afternoon less so. This year was an exception.

social

It happens much more often in the Open than other majors as it is played on many courses exposed to the weather

grecian

It happens much more often in the Open than other majors as it is played on many courses exposed to the weather
Yes and normally the weather is better in the morning, worse in the afternoon, this was an exception. *sighs*.

Anyway, Amazing Driving performance from Rory this week, so many wimping out with irons off the tee, and he's just ripping it with the Driver, gives him such an advantage with control.

Oh and Tom Watson WAFG.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The way everyone has started today knocking in birdies left right and centre reminds me of Norman's win at Sandwich when the leaderboard was packed with great players all playing well. Rory has a big lead here, may need it way some have started.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That place where the golf is looks like heaven on earth

Oh that's right it is

#WirralRiddler

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yep to say that only one side of the draw getting the worst of it is an Open thing, is just silly, and shows up bias. In fact I'd say it generally works out fine, Morning easier Afternoon less so. This year was an exception.
louis oosthuizen at the old course in 2010 had even bigger luck with the weather…so did lucas glover at bethpage black in '09…two that i can immediately think of…it doesn't really matter though, rory was the best player in the field regardless…sergio comes up just short yet again, scott had a great final round, he was probably the best on the "wrong" side of the draw...how about rickie fowler this season? 3rd at the accenture match play, 5th at augusta, 2nd at both opens...really seems on the verge of doing something great...