• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

King Pietersen

International Captain
http://twitter.com/WestwoodLee

Yep. Some interesting Tweets coming from his profile.

"Come on you girly boy trolls! I've only won just over 2 mill on course this year! Need you to keep me entertained a bit longer than this!"

"Funny , I've not chewed a troll up for a good while ! Those pussies! No stamina!"

Don't think he'd get a game for Liverpool after this display.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another big win for Scott

Given Tiger's struggles in the majors, he must be close to being the best player in the world right now

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tiger's rating is 50% more than that of the number 2 in the world. Now that's a telling stat.

Tiger has won more than 50% more than anyone else on the PGA tour this year, whilst playing the joint fewest events this year. Now that's a telling stat.

Tiger has won 5 out of 13 events, in spite of only once cracking 70 on a Sunday this year. Now that's a telling stat.

grecian

Tiger's rating is 50% more than that of the number 2 in the world. Now that's a telling stat.

Tiger has won more than 50% more than anyone else on the PGA tour this year, whilst playing the joint fewest events this year. Now that's a telling stat.

Tiger has won 5 out of 13 events, in spite of only once cracking 70 on a Sunday this year. Now that's a telling stat.
Not Australian though is he?

social

There is a reason why Scott is less than 200 points behind Tiger from the same number of events this year - Scott has been much better in the big events

Furthermore, he has just become only the third player in history to win a major, a play-off event, a WGC, the Players and the Tour Championship and he has achieved 3/5 in the past 12 months

Anyway, Tiger's career is all about majors now and the fact is that he has crumpled under pressure in every one of them this year

IMO, he is the greatest golfer ever but unfortunately he will be forever defined by whether or not he break's Jack's record not by how many tour events he wins and he knows this

Bottom line is that if you don't think that he would swap every one of his victories this year for just one major, then you are kidding yourself

Last edited:

social

Sorry, my bad. Never let the facts get in the way does he?
Classic from Marc!

The world's top writers are unanimous in declaring that the Player of the Year (i.e. best player at the moment) cant be decided until the end of the FedEx Cup

What's more, many believe that Tiger shouldn't win because of his failure to win a major

Keep trying though as it is always amusing to see you **** up when making more than 1 post per day on any topic

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Haha it always makes me laugh when golf fans try and base opinions off of four tournaments. Golf is such a variance-fest that failure to win one of four tournaments never means very much at all, and certainly drawing conclusions from it is genuinely ********.

Variance is so big in golf that unless you have a sample size of at least a few years then at the top level where margins are so small looking simply at results and nothing else (which is what you are doing) won't tell you anything with any sort of confidence at all.

social

Haha it always makes me laugh when golf fans try and base opinions off of four tournaments. Golf is such a variance-fest that failure to win one of four tournaments never means very much at all, and certainly drawing conclusions from it is genuinely ********.

Variance is so big in golf that unless you have a sample size of at least a few years then at the top level where margins are so small looking simply at results and nothing else (which is what you are doing) won't tell you anything with any sort of confidence at all.
*sigh*

There are 4 (maybe 5 including Dufner) players with a claim to POY and all have arguments for and against

What the experts (i.e. not me, you or the candlestick maker) are saying is that a victory in the FedEx Cup will push one of them over the top and give him bragging rights for the past 12 months

Until then, it is too close too call which is why I said that Scott "must be close to being the best player in the world right now"

Stop reading Marc's posts as he knows **** about ****

Son Of Coco

Exactly, which is why no relevance at all is placed on Nicklaus's record of 18 majors. He only one one of four tournaments 18 times. I don't think many players are rated that highly if they win a major and do **** all else all year, but the majors clearly carry a little more weight. Tiger himself has arranged his schedule to focus on them for many years now. You can't seriously argue that not winning one of four majors, where every single golfer is attempting to be at their absolute best, and the fields are the best you'll get all year, isn't more important that a regular tournament,

Scott's had a good year, and he's been there or there abouts in majors for at least the last couple of years. As have a number of other players. I think things are a lot closer at the top than the rankings suggest. If they weren't Tiger would've won a major recently.

grecian

Meh, the fact is if you discount Scott, then Phil wins by a distant, won a major I never thought he'd win, and has recently picked up other Majors.

Sorry the Fed Cup is just a money-making exercise at the end of the season, if it has a few decades pedigree I might be interested.

Yet you can't mention it as a big deal, and then go on to say Tigers year has been bad because he gears up for the Majors. The fact is if Tiger didn't gear up for the Majors, and played plenty of Tournaments, he'd be pissing it.

Most of the blokes in the press talking it up, of course want to make it seem like something, so more read their copy. Bragging rights over 12 months doesn't make you the Worlds best player, it makes you the most in-form. Right now, seems pretty specious too, as hey Dufner won the last Major, make him it.

It was Social fan-boying, IMHO.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Exactly, which is why no relevance at all is placed on Nicklaus's record of 18 majors. He only one one of four tournaments 18 times. I don't think many players are rated that highly if they win a major and do **** all else all year, but the majors clearly carry a little more weight. Tiger himself has arranged his schedule to focus on them for many years now. You can't seriously argue that not winning one of four majors, where every single golfer is attempting to be at their absolute best, and the fields are the best you'll get all year, isn't more important that a regular tournament,

Scott's had a good year, and he's been there or there abouts in majors for at least the last couple of years. As have a number of other players. I think things are a lot closer at the top than the rankings suggest. If they weren't Tiger would've won a major recently.
Hang on, can you read? I clearly was referring to this year, not a career's length, hence the "unless you have a sample size of at least a few years". Obviously majors over a whole career mean something, I never said any differently ffs.

social

Meh, the fact is if you discount Scott, then Phil wins by a distant, won a major I never thought he'd win, and has recently picked up other Majors.

Sorry the Fed Cup is just a money-making exercise at the end of the season, if it has a few decades pedigree I might be interested.

Yet you can't mention it as a big deal, and then go on to say Tigers year has been bad because he gears up for the Majors. The fact is if Tiger didn't gear up for the Majors, and played plenty of Tournaments, he'd be pissing it.

Most of the blokes in the press talking it up, of course want to make it seem like something, so more read their copy. Bragging rights over 12 months doesn't make you the Worlds best player, it makes you the most in-form. Right now, seems pretty specious too, as hey Dufner won the last Major, make him it.

It was Social fan-boying, IMHO.
How can it be fan-boying to say that the world's no.2 golfer "must be close to being the best player in the world right now"?

As I said earlier, I reckon that Tiger is the best ever but IMO he wouldn't even be close to being favourite if the world's top 10 were playing the back-nine of a major today and all started on the same score as recent major history says that he would be out of contention after a couple of holes before making a couple of late birdies to finish a respectable 5th

Compare that to 6/7 years ago where they would probably close betting off before the back nine began