• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happy for Rose - very nice guy apparently and a magnificent golf swing

For some reason, he has always appeared more likely to me to win a big one than Westwood and Donald - nothing concrete, just gut feel

Day continues his amazing run at majors and has now finished in the top 3 four times so is due one soon

grecian

Good stuff Justin, why I love golf, you get decent story-arcs that go on decades.

Finally an English win, even if he's a yarpy that lives in the States, but hard not to find a golfer massively linked to the US of A now.

How's Day's links play Social, maybe worth a punt at the Open?

social

Good stuff Justin, why I love golf, you get decent story-arcs that go on decades.

Finally an English win, even if he's a yarpy that lives in the States, but hard not to find a golfer massively linked to the US of A now.

How's Day's links play Social, maybe worth a punt at the Open?
All I know is that is he is a massive talent and has been tipped for big things since he was a very young boy

Odds on to be a future world no. 1 (Rory level talent + commitment is what I am told) but major wins come down to who is in form on a given week

BoyBrumby

Englishman
First English (yeah, yeah...) Major winner since Faldo taking advantage of Norman's arse going at Augusta in 96 and first English US Open winner since Jacklin in 70.

We sure do suck at golf, tbh.

grecian

First English (yeah, yeah...) Major winner since Faldo taking advantage of Norman's arse going at Augusta in 96 and first English US Open winner since Jacklin in 70.

We sure do suck at golf, tbh.
TBF, it's a better better than the Tennis, and plenty of our Celtic friends have done well since.

It's been frustrating, as we've had a lot of decent players, no-one until now has stepped up though.

grecian

Louis, Charl, and Matteo.

Have backed so many though, because when I get a win, I tend to go into the Ante-post markets, and the Majors are always there. Will be a bit gutted if I don't get the winner.

Pothas

I'm still angry will Mickleson for giving me false hope on my Branden Grace bet on Sunday.

Got Colsearts, Fowler, Horchell and Grace for this week.

grecian

If Woods can get in here at 2 under he's done very well, in the worse conditions. Nightmare day for my betting obviously.

Poulter whining (not a big shock), but the course has got to protect itself somehow, there's likely to be little wind, so they're going to make it quick as possible, and have tough pin positions. Some seem to have done okay, over 20 under-par.

If Lefty doesn't win it in these conditions, he may never. His best chance by miles.

grecian

Bit better for some I've backed today.

Cabrera leads in another major, utterly bizarre.

Think it would be quite funny if Faldo beats McIlroy. TBH Nick has been pretty right about Rory.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
a lot of people still in the mix, in my opinion anyone 3+ and better can still win with a great weekend, woods in contention yet again but it remains to be seen if he can conquer his major weekend yips...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Bit better for some I've backed today.

Cabrera leads in another major, utterly bizarre.

Think it would be quite funny if Faldo beats McIlroy. TBH Nick has been pretty right about Rory.
angel kind of limped home there,he is still very much in the hunt though...and yeah rory looks completely lost although it is not that big of a surprise that he struggled in firm, fast conditions...

social

angel kind of limped home there,he is still very much in the hunt though...and yeah rory looks completely lost although it is not that big of a surprise that he struggled in firm, fast conditions...
It will be interesting to see where Rory goes from here (obviously supremely talented but doesn't appear to be made of the sternest stuff)

Some of his actions (e.g. walking off the course) and words (e.g. coming to the realization that he will always be inconsistent, doesn't like fast/firm conditions as he's not confident of where the ball will end up) don't really bode well as it appears that he gives up too easily

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would love Miguel to win this as he is a character, if not him then obviously Westwood. Would cap a brilliant few weeks for Britain seeing Westwood win and Froome collect the Tour on the same day.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
looks like it is finally westwood's time...played exceptionally well today, fairly sure woods isn't going to win now, another lost major for him...mahan may just crash westwood's party though...

social

Don't think that either Westwood or Woods will win and can see Scott grinding them down in Faldo-like fashion - his iron play is simply stunning

BTW, British Open golf telecasts are stuck in the dark ages and must be amongst the worst of any major sporting event as even the smallest televised events have cameras on each hole and the practice of only following pre-determined players is annoying in the extreme

Last edited: